Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II USM & Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L USM II Discontinued

I have a serious question:
What will happen with the prices for used EF gear with the ongoing discontinuation of EF lenses. Will they suddenly crash or will they go up since there is still a market and very few lenses left to buy. I own the wonderful EF 100-400mm which I eventually will sell as soon (or far in the future) the RF 100-500mm is available at a reasonable price...

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
One of the very best decisions I made last year is not buying 1dx3.
I'm still looking to get one when the prices ease and my business improves a touch. Meanwhile I have have the money set aside for an R5 and they are in stock everywhere and I just can't do it. Yes the R5 is a great camera but I still don't get on with EVF's despite trying hard to...

Meanwhile if anybody wants a low shutter count 1DX II with WFT-E8, RRS L-plate, and a ton of CFast cards drop me a line :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
What will happen with the prices for used EF gear with the ongoing discontinuation of EF lenses. Will they suddenly crash or will they go up since there is still a market and very few lenses left to buy. I own the wonderful EF 100-400mm which I eventually will sell as soon (or far in the future) the RF 100-500mm is available at a reasonable price...
If they follow precedent then some of the more exotic and very good condition lenses will go up in value, some by quite a bit. Then the values will fall and us EF users are in for bargains galore!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I (egoistically!) just couldn't care less. I just hope they will not discontinue servicing the "old" lenses too soon.
I already own 14 EF lenses, mostly Ls, so I'm not in need of additional ones.
I'll keep using my preferred camera (5DIV) till it dies, along with the EOS R, then get either a used 5 DIV or an R5.
Adaptability is no issue, AF speed being for me of secondary importance.
Discontinuing the EF line is the only commercially viable option for Canon, keeping 2 "main" standards would have been ruinous.
And: the RF lenses are excellent, even though they cost a "tiny" little bit more.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
If they follow precedent then some of the more exotic and very good condition lenses will go up in value, some by quite a bit. Then the values will fall and us EF users are in for bargains galore!
I'd sell my 70-200 f4 II for ridiculous $5000, and add, as a bonus, a magnetic happiness providing bracelet!

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com

I don't expect any big crash for quite some time. There will still be a lot of demand.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Thx for your opinion. My lense is in very good condition, but I wouldn't consider the 100-400mm an exotic lense, would you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No. And the trouble is people moving to RF have the 100-500 option so it doesn’t hold any unique value like a 200-400 or the 200 f2.
Yeah, I figured as well. At the moment, the 100-400mm sells on Ebay (in Germany) for about 1.450-1.600 € for lenses in good/ great condition. Some try to shoot for 1.700 €, but those ads have stuck around for at least three months...
As long as the RF 100-500mm is hardly available, I should be able to sell for a reasonable price, but I'll probably still have to wait till 2022 for the RF price to come down...

Or I'll just keep this lense forever...

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
EF lenses are usable as are on RF bodies with an adapter, and RF lenses are expensive, so I expect EF lenses to keep their value for a while.

Personally, I've decided to use my 5DmkIV till it dies, then buy whatever makes the most sense.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0