Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II USM & Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L USM II Discontinued

Discontinuing all EF lenses is a really bad idea from Canon. There are a lot of lenses that could be improved. I'm pretty sure that an EF-S 60mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro would be welcomed by a lot of people. Ok, discontinue the first two version of any lens that has a third version or the first if there's a second one. But the RF mount versions of the lenses are a totally diffrent system despite of the converters. So Canon should keep developing EF mount lenses for those who don't want or can't change to mirrorles cameras. Let's hope that Tamron and Sigma won't be this stupid and will develop EF mount lenses in the near (and not so near) future.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Discontinuing all EF lenses is a really bad idea from Canon. There are a lot of lenses that could be improved. I'm pretty sure that an EF-S 60mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro would be welcomed by a lot of people. Ok, discontinue the first two version of any lens that has a third version or the first if there's a second one. But the RF mount versions of the lenses are a totally diffrent system despite of the converters. So Canon should keep developing EF mount lenses for those who don't want or can't change to mirrorles cameras. Let's hope that Tamron and Sigma won't be this stupid and will develop EF mount lenses in the near (and not so near) future.
Look, it is life, Canon are committed to RF, that is just the truth of it. You might not see the financial benefits of that decision but they know the numbers and they believe the case is made. But don’t forget, Canon’s continued support for discontinued products generally lasts seven years after they are officially discontinued, that means you have at least seven more years of useful support.

But look at it this way, whilst you might not be into RF at the moment do you think you might be in 5 years time when there are cheaper used bodies and lenses available? When the range of new lenses and bodies with better AF, DR, IS etc etc than ever available in EF? Well in five years time Canon will still be supporting those EF lenses you want to sell to get RF versions. Canon are not out of the EF space yet, they are saying they are going to be out of it in 7 years time.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
No, they are not.
If RF was not selling then Canon would drop it like a hot potato.
People here seem to confuse business with religion.
It takes years for corporations to make system changes like FD to EF, and even more so EF to RF. The investment is massive and the time and money incredible. Believe me Canon are 100% committed to RF at this point, even their C line is becoming RF.

They held back and were slow to put their toes in the FF MILC water, they launched some lackluster bodies and a very limited number of lenses. That was the only time or opportunity they had to pull back from RF and reimagine the EF, they didn’t do it so now that are 100% committed to RF.

That isn’t religion it is cold hard realization of business facts of life. I am still 100% in the EF camp and would love more development in it, but it isn’t going to happen. If RF sales drop, and there isn’t a single indication they will, then they will redouble their efforts in it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Well, I don't know what features of cameras and lenses will have in five years from now or how much will they cost but I'm almost certain that I will not want to change. Why? Because I'm not really interested in the new features I read about here.
Just to mention the latest: eye controlled AF. I think you simply don't need more than 5x6 AF points in a camera. Or In-body Image Stabilization. Ok, it will probably make lenses smaller. But will it be included in all cameras? What if a camera with IBIS goes wrong and the replacement camera does not have this feature? And if the lenses still will have IS what do we need the IBIS for? How can I turn off IBIS if I don't need it for any reason? On lenses I simply switch it off with the IS switch. Will it have a button on the camera to make turning on and off simple?
Touch-screen? Button illumination? Vari-angle screens? What for? I made a self portrait with my 1200D and only needed a remote controller and two shots to get a picture that was perfect for my needs. The more software and electronic parts you have in a camera the more things that can go wrong. By the way, this step in my opinion is very similar to the decision of motherboard makers: all motherboards you can buy could run any modern games and you have to buy it even if you would like to use your computer only for text editing and mailing and never want to run any stupid FPS (or other) games.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0