Canon officially discontinues a lot more EF lenses

Jan 29, 2011
Whats your experience with the TS-E 24?
I have the 11-24 and I wonder if the TS 24 would bring me a notable benefit. The image circle the 11mm cover can be pretty much used to get the same straight lines, if I just point the camera straight...
I have the 11-24, the TS-E 17 and TS-E50 that I use with 1.4 and 2x TC’s. I rarely use the 11-24 except for events and sports. If I use a tripod I use a TS-E, they are much ‘better’ than anything else if you can be bothered with them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I think size and weight is a very good reason to switch lenses to newer ones. Sharpness is also often better and AF is even faster (though all my EF L lenses work fine with the adapter).
But size and weight is realy a point. My 70-200 f2,8 is quite big and heavy compared to these new lenses. Also you dont need the adapter so overall size of camera+lense gets smaller. These are the true benefits from mirrorless. I hope to travel more after covid, so I would appreciate any smaller lenses. The 100-500mm RF looks stunning - great performance and a small and light design...
Not in my opinion. My gear has to pay for itself, a few ounces at the cost of $1,000’s doesn’t cut it. Sharpness is vastly overrated and none of my current lenses lack it. AF of my current setup is only limited by me.

For some people yes, for me and I suspect quite a few others, the cost of transitioning from EF to RF simply isn’t worth it at this point.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
How long does Canon typically offer repair and support for discontinued lenses?

I too think the prices of used EF lenses will go up. That has always been the case where I live.

with arguments like “here’s what the RF version cost, which doesn’t even fit your camera, THIS is the only option, pay up!” And people know that. “I rather buy a bit overpriced now than very overpriced or not at all, later”.

Upvote 0
Notably missing any EF-M lenses...
Wish there was any update on the EF-M. I'm selling my EF-M lenses at the moment because of the uncertainty. With EF-(S) lenses you can at least use them on other body's with an adapter. Maybe they will release another body like the M50 ii that is just a firmware update. Looks to me like EF-M will die a quite dead.

Upvote 0
EF-S lenses being discontinued and yet nothing in the pipeline for entry-level and crop sensor shooters. Is Canon going to offer anything for this price point or are they really banking on the entire vlogger and student/casual photographer market disappearing altogether?
I'm hoping the same. But looking at the prices of RF lenses and R body's, I'm pretty sure the price will be way higher (like double) then before. But we will see crop R body's someday.

Upvote 0
Mass lens discontinuations strike me as being premature. It shows contempt for their DSLR users.
I think Canon was forced to concentrate their capacities on RF lenses due to the COVID related production crises. Therefore, they are now discontinuing EF Lenses and will closely monitor the reaction of consumers. Canon officials have officially stated that "if the market demands they will develop and produce new EF lenses". So they are now testing the market. I imagine that Canon will reply if...
1. Nikon continues to sell DSLR in a profitable way
2. the prices of second-hand EF lense skyrocket
3. Pro photographers demand EF lenses...

So, I think it is not about showing contempt, it is more about testing the market and finding out how serious the consumers are about EF and DSLR. Since they were kind a forced to do that anyway it's just making the best out of a bad situation.

I'm excited to see what will happen.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I doubt the 500 f/4L II will ever be a bargain LOL, but I won't be selling mine until I see new gen lightweight <2.5kg release from anyone, be it Canon, Sony or Nikon, which will no doubt be at least 50% dearer than the EF price.
I agree. I even secured a new 5DsR to keep it company (and I am not selling my 5D4). Also my 500PF works superby...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I've been debating with myself whether to sell my 400mm DO II. It's a superb lens but as I get older it's relatively light weight has got above my comfortable carrying zone and I am afraid age is a one way process. This discontinuation has tipped the balance so yesterday I decided it's going. It could well go up in price as the RF equivalents will be very expensive but I don't like unused equipment hanging around when others would make good use of it.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
If this discontinuation of the EF lenses continues a pace, and the current ones that have been chopped suggests that it will, then it will only be a matter of time before cameras like the 5DIV, 6DII etc are discontinued. Just looking at it from a retail business point of view, these business sell a fair few EF lenses, and there are millions of bodies out there. Many people who can afford it like to buy new, and that avenue to EF ownership is going to be cut off, thus the retailers won't have the ability to sell these lenses anymore, but rather be relying on people switching to the RF mount, and buying RF lenses. So to sell the same amount of new RF lenses as they were EF there are going to have to be a hell of a lot of RF mount cameras sold.

Upvote 0
I'm glad I got into DSLR photography back in 2014, I've been able to buy most of my EF lenses used for about half the price of new. If anyone wants a new DSLR I would suggest to buy it sooner rather then later.

It's good that we have the EF-RF and the EF-EF-M adapter, so everyone can use EF lenses in future bodies until they stop making the EF-RF adapter. I wonder if they will discontinue this adapter in a few years to force people on RF? Any thoughts on this?
If you have the adapter you can keep using EF until the RF mount gets replaced which is probably decades away. So EF will still live on in a way for a very long time.

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Lol, I think that I've been a bit ahead of the game having gotten rid of several of these lenses (10-22, 70-300L, and 135L) ages ago. I still have the 55-250 primarily because it would be a greater hassle trying to sell it than to just leave this tiny lens in storage. I will keep and continue to use my 100L 2.8 and 24-70L lenses primarily because I see little benefit to upgrading these, for me, limited use lenses.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Maybe somebody has asked this question - if so, I missed it - but what do you mean by "officially?" Do we have an actual statement from Canon? Do we have actual sellers reporting that Canon has told them these lenses are being discontinued? Or are you just speculating that "Sold out" or "Unavailable" means discontinued? That seems to be the most important question that should be answered.

If these lenses are being discontinued, it seems obvious that the reason is that sales numbers are way down or non-existent, regardless of how popular the lens might have been at one time. My guess is that those buying the latest DSLR's (The 1DX III and the 5D IV) are users that were already in the FF system and not buying new EF lenses in any substantial number. Canon would have that info, and clearly they will use the time and facilities they have to produce what is in demand now - and that is RF lenses. Would you schedule manufacturing time making EF lenses when your R5 and R6 Cameras are selling beyond expectations and lenses are on backorder everywhere?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
When Canon decided we would all be better off with the EF mount customers had a choice to either go with them or leave. History would probably suggest that Canon made the right choice.

Absolutely. But there's a difference.

Canon EF lenses are fully compatible with both DSLRs and their older 35mm EOS film systems, something you can't replicate with their new RF system unless you use an adapter (I prefer not to).

That's a big leap for millions of camera owners that have invested a ton in EF lenses. It's not as smooth as the previous technological change.

I actually expect Canon APS-C cameras and lenses to gain value. There's simply nothing to compete with them in Canonland once you factor in their bargain price when buying them used and the HUGE selection of lenses available.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Maybe somebody has asked this question - if so, I missed it - but what do you mean by "officially?" Do we have an actual statement from Canon? Do we have actual sellers reporting that Canon has told them these lenses are being discontinued? Or are you just speculating that "Sold out" or "Unavailable" means discontinued? That seems to be the most important question that should be answered.

If these lenses are being discontinued, it seems obvious that the reason is that sales numbers are way down or non-existent, regardless of how popular the lens might have been at one time. My guess is that those buying the latest DSLR's (The 1DX III and the 5D IV) are users that were already in the FF system and not buying new EF lenses in any substantial number. Canon would have that info, and clearly they will use the time and facilities they have to produce what is in demand now - and that is RF lenses. Would you schedule manufacturing time making EF lenses when your R5 and R6 Cameras are selling beyond expectations and lenses are on backorder everywhere?

I don't know how official it is. But one of the discontinued lenses is the 24-70 f/4.0 L which is rather popular for people just getting started as it covers a good range and has a macro mode. Though that market are likely buying the RF 24-105 f/4.0 as part of a kit with their new R/R6 body.

Upvote 0