Canon officially discontinues a lot more EF lenses

Aug 12, 2010
Worth taking into account. But anyone in the repair business - from cameras to cars - can attest that repairs and repair shops are a dying thing or alternatively very expensive. Just see some of the repair costs people quote here at CR. I fear this trend will accelerate in the coming years. In many countries in Europe a non-Canon repair is practically impossible or very expensive already.

And that's just repairs.

How do you insure a discontinued item for replacement in case it gets stolen? Lost? Dropped in the ocean? Har, get that check from the insurance company and off to eBay you go - good luck with that!

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
While Canon are still selling the 1D X MKIV, 5D MKIV, 6D MKII, 90D etc. it seems rather disingenuous to not continue selling lenses like the EF 70-200mm f4L MKII as this is a popular lens and only came out a short while ago. Fact is as well the RF lenses are considerably more expensive than their EF counterparts as indeed is the R5 in comparison to the price of the 5DS / 5DSr when they launched even taking inflation into consideration.
As a life-long Canon user now recently retired I feel Canon maybe pushing me into the Olympus system completely. Ive long had an Olympus OM-D E-M10 as a simple walk around camera with three zooms and as Im not selling commercially the output from something like the OM-D E-M1 MKIII with Zuiko Pro lenses is way cheaper rather than buying say the R6 with the RF 70-200mm f4L. I bought the EOS R which has many failings and whilst the RF 24-105mm f4L is a good lens that cannot be said for the RF 24-240mm which for the price sucks.
Canon I feel are at least in the UK pricing themselves out of the market and it will be interesting to see how they fair against the competition especially attracting new users.

So I shall be holding onto my 5DS with the EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM II, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM II, EF 85 f1.4L IS USM, EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM this is my go to portrait package. I sold my 6D MKII when I bought the EOS R and the EF f4L trinity lenses I had with it, in hind sight that was a mistake. For landscape Im considering the Olympus set-up as the R6 & RF 70-200mm f4L will set me back £ 4,218.00. The Olympus OM-D E-M1 MKIII with the Zuiko 12-40mm f2.8 Pro & the 40-150mm f2.8 Pro is £ 3,098. Similar story if you look at Fuji.

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2010
While Canon are still selling the 1D X MKIV, 5D MKIV, 6D MKII, 90D etc. it seems rather disingenuous to not continue selling lenses like the EF 70-200mm f4L MKII as this is a popular lens and only came out a short while ago. Fact is as well the RF lenses are considerably more expensive than their EF counterparts...

I think that is part of Canon's plan - to make money from their new RF line of lenses.

I suspect that the "discontinued" notice for a lens simply means that the last production manufacturing run for that lens has been completed and as time moves forward, production runs of more EF lenses will complete and they'll move to "discontinued" status too. Only lenses that have open production runs aren't EOL'd. Or at least that's my theory after seeing the most recent update to that list. Whether it is no more lenses being made or crystals being grown ... don't know but given the inclusions, it is obviously not based on what's selling.

Canon's other problem is that EF lenses don't have to be used on Canon bodies. Fit them with an adapter and they'll work on Olympus, Sony, Nikon ... the RF lenses are back to being lock-in to Canon bodies.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]

Just a fun poll if you've read this far: what is the most recent purchase you've done of EF glass? Personally, it was getting the 50/1.2 and 8-15 fish in 2011. Anyone buy new EF glass more recently than that? Anyone buy new EF glass since RF came out? [..]
2013 - 2020: mostly EF-M
2019: EF 100mm L, after buying an RP
2020: EF 180mm L

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Just a fun poll if you've read this far: what is the most recent purchase you've done of EF glass? Personally, it was getting the 50/1.2 and 8-15 fish in 2011. Anyone buy new EF glass more recently than that? Anyone buy new EF glass since RF came out?
I bought 4 EF lenses since 2017, spending about $4,000. One was the kit lens with the camera. I bought new the 100-400mm II and the 16-35mm f/4. I bought the 85mm f/1.8 refurb when it was on sale. All are still useful for me, and I have no regrets. Quite the contrary. Last year I rented the 24mm and the 17mm TS-E lenses and enjoyed that experience. I might consider buying the 24mm some day, realizing that I don’t need it and might not use it much after the novelty wears off. Either it or a 5D4 would be more likely to be my my next photo purchase (probably on impulse) of any size than something in the R family.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Oh I remember well, my friend. But I didn't cite that example because it was not relevant to this situation: we have some degree of compatibility between EF and RF systems but it's not ideal. Otherwise, Canon wouldn't be forcing this change.

There's some overlap between this two systems and that is where I expect DSLR APS-C users to carve and interesting niche, specially considering Canon have all but given up on the EOS-M experiment.

It's astounding that even after seven years Canon have no real substitute for ye old 7DM2. So there's a niche right there.
I have a gut feel that the EOS-M is far less dead than it might appear to be. The biggest part of that market has been at the consumer level and the M50 has kept that going. To address the higher end APS-c market, several things are needed and they have needed time. Canon is clearly working on IBIS for the M line and Powershots. To get better video with decent recording time, smaller geometry (i.e. lower power) processors are needed. The technology is almost ready. Last, but far from least is the faster lens issue. It will be interesting to see where that goes with some EF-s lenses going obsolete, there may be capacity available to address some faster M lenses. The 7D2 question may remain open for a while as I doubt Canon is interested in either making a set of M lenses to accommodate that market or in making an APS-c R body that would have a bunch of folks screaming for APS-c R lenses. My sense is that the R5S (for want of a better name) will come to market first to see if that will satisfy the majority of the 7d2 market. Clearly, that camera will be able to extract all the resolution that lenses have to offer, so the "more pixels per bird" wish will be satisfied. The bargain hunters may just be out of luck and Fuji is neither a bargain, nor do they offer the lenses necessary to replace the 7D2. On the surface, Sony has the pieces, but the the ergonomics on their APS-c bodies are not even close. Bottom line, I can see Canon putting some pressure on Fuji with the M series, but I think the 7D2 bargain is a thing of the past.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
While Canon are still selling the 1D X MKIV, 5D MKIV, 6D MKII, 90D etc. it seems rather disingenuous to not continue selling lenses like the EF 70-200mm f4L MKII as this is a popular lens and only came out a short while ago. Fact is as well the RF lenses are considerably more expensive than their EF counterparts as indeed is the R5 in comparison to the price of the 5DS / 5DSr when they launched even taking inflation into consideration.
As a life-long Canon user now recently retired I feel Canon maybe pushing me into the Olympus system completely. Ive long had an Olympus OM-D E-M10 as a simple walk around camera with three zooms and as Im not selling commercially the output from something like the OM-D E-M1 MKIII with Zuiko Pro lenses is way cheaper rather than buying say the R6 with the RF 70-200mm f4L. I bought the EOS R which has many failings and whilst the RF 24-105mm f4L is a good lens that cannot be said for the RF 24-240mm which for the price sucks.
Canon I feel are at least in the UK pricing themselves out of the market and it will be interesting to see how they fair against the competition especially attracting new users.

So I shall be holding onto my 5DS with the EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM II, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM II, EF 85 f1.4L IS USM, EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM this is my go to portrait package. I sold my 6D MKII when I bought the EOS R and the EF f4L trinity lenses I had with it, in hind sight that was a mistake. For landscape Im considering the Olympus set-up as the R6 & RF 70-200mm f4L will set me back £ 4,218.00. The Olympus OM-D E-M1 MKIII with the Zuiko 12-40mm f2.8 Pro & the 40-150mm f2.8 Pro is £ 3,098. Similar story if you look at Fuji.

I feel the same. Prices have gone thru the roof and as much as I like Canon, an R5 + 100-500 combo is close to £7000 in UK. A Sony A7R4 with the 200-600 is £4700.
The R5 might be better but not that much better.

If you don't have that kind of money, the RF system does not offer good choices. The RP is too slow, basic and with limited video, the R6 is too low resolution. For a small, travel, everyday kit, the Fuji has the best offerings in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
I have a gut feel that the EOS-M is far less dead than it might appear to be. The biggest part of that market has been at the consumer level and the M50 has kept that going. To address the higher end APS-c market, several things are needed and they have needed time. Canon is clearly working on IBIS for the M line and Powershots. To get better video with decent recording time, smaller geometry (i.e. lower power) processors are needed. The technology is almost ready. Last, but far from least is the faster lens issue. It will be interesting to see where that goes with some EF-s lenses going obsolete, there may be capacity available to address some faster M lenses. The 7D2 question may remain open for a while as I doubt Canon is interested in either making a set of M lenses to accommodate that market or in making an APS-c R body that would have a bunch of folks screaming for APS-c R lenses. My sense is that the R5S (for want of a better name) will come to market first to see if that will satisfy the majority of the 7d2 market. Clearly, that camera will be able to extract all the resolution that lenses have to offer, so the "more pixels per bird" wish will be satisfied. The bargain hunters may just be out of luck and Fuji is neither a bargain, nor do they offer the lenses necessary to replace the 7D2. On the surface, Sony has the pieces, but the the ergonomics on their APS-c bodies are not even close. Bottom line, I can see Canon putting some pressure on Fuji with the M series, but I think the 7D2 bargain is a thing of the past.
I agree that rumors of the EOS-M's death have been greatly exaggerated. The question is, will Canon invest in it to keep it competitive (IBIS, new lenses), or just let it die a slow death as the market moves on? Either way, I don't think we'll see any new fast primes beyond those which already exist. The EOS-M target market, consumers, isn't necessarily interested in "bokeh". I think a better move for Canon would be to improve cell phone integration to make it easier to post straight to social media.

I also agree that we're unlikely to see an APS-C R body at this point. Maybe they'll try to pass off the R5s for that role as you suggest, but at that price, a lot of 7Dii users (me included) won't go for it. Fuji and (especially) Sony may not be perfect replacements, but they check a lot of boxes.

Upvote 0

Fletchahh

7D Mark II
CR Pro
Aug 31, 2020
Pasadena, CA
For my own needs, the R5s is not a good replacement for a 7D2. The R5 is already too expensive for my budget, and the R5s would cost even more. I don't necessarily expect an R7 to be priced at the same level as the 7D2, but I'd be willing to pay around the same amount as an R6 for one. Plus, it's unlikely that an R5s would be able to match the speed of an R7. Luckily there is an APS-C R coming according to this [CR3] rumor, so it's more of a waiting game at this point.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
The number of popular, high quality EF-S lenses on the list, particularly the 10-22, 15-85, 17-55, and especially the 55-250 STM, convinces me even more that Canon has no further interest in APS-C (outside of the EOS M, if that) and there will be no APS-C R7.
Well no I disagree - the R7 if it comes is to replace the 7D ii and needs no wide angle lenses or any RF-s lenses as it will be used with long FF telephotos to get more reach and higher pixel density.
At least that's what I'd buy it for and probably thousands of fellow 7D ii owners will too.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
For my own needs, the R5s is not a good replacement for a 7D2. The R5 is already too expensive for my budget, and the R5s would cost even more. I don't necessarily expect an R7 to be priced at the same level as the 7D2, but I'd be willing to pay around the same amount as an R6 for one. Plus, it's unlikely that an R5s would be able to match the speed of an R7. Luckily there is an APS-C R coming according to this [CR3] rumor, so it's more of a waiting game at this point.
Me too,
The R5 is far too expensive and cropped 1.6x is only 17mp which is less than my 7Dii also the huge files are pretty silly .
An R7 based on the R6 with a sensor of about 32mp such as the 90D one could be be developed easily and cheaply and could be sold at a similar price to the R6 or perhaps a bit less.
The R5 is a great wildlife camera but a much cheaper R7 with nearly twice it's pixel density is very appealing.
Also has the potential to run faster and never overheat.
This could be a big seller as there are large numbers of 7Dii (and Nikon D500) owners who would be interested as the improvement in performance would be huge over the now rather outdated 7Dii .

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
As for the cost of transition to the RF system, I see many are unhappy with the RF sticker price.

You can make various calculations on this. This is mine:
Looking at a lens such as the RF 85mm 1.2 I calculate that the cost of ownership for 5 years to 800 USD. For that I get a slightly better lens, some convenience and a little improved functionality. The cost of keeping a 5 year old EF 85mm 1.2 lens instead will depend a lot on whether or not it will need a repair, but giving it a 70% survival rate without repairs past the 10 year mark the average cost of keeping the lens an additional 5 years will be around 450 USD which translates into around 70 USD per year extra for switching to the RF model. If you think the RF model is just 10% better than the EF model - you should switch to the RF model seen from a pure financial point of view. I understand that not everyone will have the money, that you may want to choose other discount rates than mine etc. and also that you may invest the difference in outlay and actually earn some money towards better lenses in the future. But basically it is maybe less expensive over time to switch to the RF mount than it may seem at first glance (if you can finance the outlay with cash). YMMV.
My EF300 f2.8 is 27 years old , has had a very hard life but still works flawlessly and I expect it to last many more years to come.EF300 f:2.8.JPG

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I feel the same. Prices have gone thru the roof and as much as I like Canon, an R5 + 100-500 combo is close to £7000 in UK. A Sony A7R4 with the 200-600 is £4700.
The R5 might be better but not that much better.

If you don't have that kind of money, the RF system does not offer good choices. The RP is too slow, basic and with limited video, the R6 is too low resolution. For a small, travel, everyday kit, the Fuji has the best offerings in my opinion.
The R5 is that much better. The A7R4 with the 200-600 has AF problems and so the keen bird photographers complain and prefer to use their 600 f/4s for BIF. They are now transitioning to the A1, which is a worthy, far more expensive rival to the R5.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hope they do make an RF version preferably with T.Cs built in. Sadly price will be scary.
400 DO only super telephoto light enough to hand hold and almost affordable too
If they bring in a lightweight RF 400/4 DO or 500/5.6, like the Nikon 500PF that weighs only 1.46kg, I'd be very happy. The proposed RF 500/4 is suggested to be very light and, given the weight savings Nikon did on the 500mm f/5.6 PF, might be close in weight to the current 400mm DO II. Canon shaved off 0.76kg from the 400/2.8 II going to the III, and if they did the same with the RF 500/4 relative to the EF 500/4 II, that would give 2.4kg. In either case, my 400mm DO II is packed up ready to be sold as the RF 100-500 is covering my needs and capabilities for the time being.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020

I think it is important to remember that this is just a rumor.

The other thing to remember is that if you are an owner of the cameras you mention, most of these lenses are available and you can buy them. You may be able to buy them for a number of years to come - we have no idea how many are "in stock". And if not available, you will be able to buy them used for many years to come.

As far as Canon pushing you to another system...just think, if you, or anyone else, was not reading CanonRumors, you would be perfectly happy with your camera and lenses. You can still buy what you want, with a few exceptions. You would not have any reason to be worried or unhappy.

I'm sure it is not the intention of the site owner, but CanonRumors probably does more to make Canon users unhappy and to switch to other systems than anyone else. Just based on rumors, we have people selling off their M system equipment and others switching to other brands for other reasons that may or may not actually happen.

Upvote 0
Just a fun poll if you've read this far: what is the most recent purchase you've done of EF glass? Personally, it was getting the 50/1.2 and 8-15 fish in 2011. Anyone buy new EF glass more recently than that? Anyone buy new EF glass since RF came out?

About six months ago I bought the now extremely rare, hard to find and much sought after EF 40mm f/2.8.

Don't even think of offering me anything less than $1200.

• Haha
  • Wow
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Using EF lenses on R bodies are “ok” with long focal length lenses but not that good for focal length below 100mm as the lens plus adapter protrude a lot. Moreover EF lenses can’t fully utilize AF capability of R5/6 (listed in the user manual of R5/6)
Can you list some of these AF capabilities EF lenses adapted to RF cameras that won't work...for those of us without any R5/6 manuals?

Thanks in advance,
C

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019

Yes, the EF 70-200mm f4L II is a great lens and very young of age. But holding/using this side to side to the RF 70-200 F4 the EF version is a dinosaur to be swept away by evolution.
Take care investing in the Olympus system.
But why not just going on using EF? There is a huge market of new ans second hand stuff around.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
About six months ago I bought the now extremely rare, hard to find and much sought after EF 40mm f/2.8.

Don't even think of offering me anything less than $1200.

I'll be an underselling scab and accept $1150 for mine, bought within the last two years. It was the first lens I used on my R5 (because it was the widest full frame I had at the time) and I've even posted pictures taken with it here, on CR.

:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Upvote 0