Canon Announces That The Powerful Professional Full-Frame EOS R3 Mirrorless Camera Is On Its Way

That doesn’t really make sense. The fps is not limited to the card write speed but the buffer capabilities, put in a bigger buffer and it will, well, buffer.

If Canon are capable of 40fps, or whatever higher number than 30, they might well be saving that for the R1 if there is one. Canon are saying the R3 is between the R5 and the 1DX III, that implies they will make an ‘R1’. That R1 will have higher fps than the R3.
I agree. I think the main reason they stated that R3 is between R5 and 1DX III is to let photographers know that they have more in store, that the R camera lineup is still not complete and that they have the technology that will push the mirorless replacement for the 1DX III above R3. Be it with more fps, global shutter, better IQ, more MP, AF, something else or with all of the above

Besides if they stick with the larger form of the pro bodies, then they have more room for better batterries, heat sinks, processors.... Everything that helps with faster processing.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
R1 and R3 will be officially announced together probably in July, once the 3 new lenses and the new file transfer app will be available.

I said in a different forum (DPR) that the R6 was announced together with the R5, but all the development announcements were only about the R5, I suppose Canon will play a similar trick again, this time speaking of the development of the "lower" model R3, still coming with the official announcement with both models together, the EOS R3 and the EOS R1.;)

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
As far as I can tell, they were saying people want smaller cameras, and none of Canon's current mirrorless (FF?) lineup is small enough. My point is, that person is projecting their personal desire onto "people", and that Canon has done plenty research to determine what the market really wants.

Canon has non-FF mirrorless cameras that ought to be small enough for anyone, i.e., the M series. (Just to answer the question implicitly asked by you writing "(FF?)")

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The R3 is going to be the best video camera Canon has released outside one of their cinema lines. You can quote me.
Canon is very good at segmenting its models and it looks like the R5 C is also coming (it is debatable whether that is part of the cinema line as it will likely to stick to the usual codecs and operation of stills cameras) and with this new model, they are not aiming to surpass that.
The first two Sony models with stacked sensors were also heavily compromised for video, but they weren't quite this expensive either.

Maybe the reason why they don't talk about video yet is there is no headline feature like 8K.
So, if they say it is slotted under the 1DX III and also priced accordingly (like 5500$), then it's pretty likely that it won't quite have the same video features, like 60p RAW video capability, but it will be quite capable.
It may not even have a swivel screen, if their aim is maximum durability and they might try to "compensate" for that with a full-sized HDMI port.
The translation from the Japanese press release says:
"The R3 aims to be a camera that meets the needs of professionals and high amateur users who create full-scale works for both still image shooting sports and also video shooting."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Canon is very good at segmenting its models and it looks like the R5 C is also coming and they are not aiming this model to surpass that.
The first two Sony models with stacked sensors were also heavily compromised for video, but they weren't quite this expensive either.

Maybe the reason why they don't talk about video yet is there is no headline feature like 8K.
So, if they say it is slotted under the 1DX III and also priced accordingly (like 5500$), then it's pretty likely that it won't quite have the same video features, like 60p RAW video capability, but it will be quite capable.
It may not even have a swivel screen, if their aim is maximum durability and they might try to "compensate" for that with a full-sized HDMI port.

I would consider the R5C, should such a camera debut, part of one of the "cinema lines" I mentioned in my post. The C stands for cinema, just as it does in the C200, etc.

But to compare an R5C and the R3 anyway, the one thing we can say already is that with its stacked BSI sensor, the R3 should have fewer rolling shutter issues than anything that uses an R5 sensor, be it an R5, R5C, or otherwise. Not that rolling shutter is a major problem with the original R5, anyway, at least for video applications.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I would consider the R5C, should such a camera debut, part of one of the "cinema lines" I mentioned in my post. The C stands for cinema, just as it does in the C200, etc.

But to compare an R5C and the R3 anyway, the one thing we can say already is that with its stacked BSI sensor, the R3 should have fewer rolling shutter issues than anything that uses an R5 sensor, be it an R5, R5C, or otherwise. Not that rolling shutter is a major problem with the original R5, anyway, at least for video applications.
That is debatable based on the Sony A9/A1 cameras, their rolling shutter performance in video mode is pretty much the same as other newer cameras without stacked sensors (pretty much identical results to the R5), and the dynamic range was also compromised in the A9 series.

Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
That is debatable based on the Sony A9/A1 cameras, their rolling shutter performance in video mode is pretty much the same as other newer cameras without stacked sensors (pretty much identical results to the R5), and the dynamic range was also compromised in the A9 series.
A quick Google search tells me this isn't true, at least as far as the Sony bodies go.
EDIT: while these are photos, and we're talking about video performance, video performance for rolling shutter depends on the speed of sensor readout of the electronic shutter, which is the same thing that impacts photo performance, with an electronic shutter.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
A quick Google search tells me this isn't true, at least as far as the Sony bodies go.

Maybe Google some more and stick to video tests, not stills ;)

If there is any benefit to stacked sensors for video, they are not utilised and the R3 is still sticking to a Digic X processor, so nothing new on that front.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
See my edit!
It's still BS, here are the A1 measurements.

8K up to 30P: Over-sampled from 8640 x 4860 full width readout. 17ms rolling shutter. 1/57s readout speed.

FF 4K up to 60P: 2 x 2 pixel-binned from full width to 4320 x 2430, then over-sampled to 3840 x 2160. 9ms rolling shutter. 1/114s readout speed.

4K 120P: 2 x 2 pixel-binned from 7680 x 4320 window (1.12x crop) to 3840 x 2160. 8ms rolling shutter. 1/124s readout speed.

S35 crop 4K up to 60P: Over-sampled from 5760 x 3240 window (1.5x crop) to 3840 x 2160. 11ms rolling shutter. 1/90s readout speed.

The rolling shutter on the R5 is basically the same in these modes, except it has 4K HQ which is of course identical to 8K (the A1 has 4K HQ via HDMI).

So no, so far there hasn't been a camera where the stacked sensor actually works similarly in video mode, which implies that for video, going towards offering a global shutter (like the Komodo) may be more beneficial.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The mythical EOS 3D has finally been born. This has been something I never thought I'd see. I was on the fence about the R5, but knowing Canon is finally going to use stacked sensor and has resurrected eye controlled AF makes this a certain purchase. I will start a a fire sale of some old EF glass and get ready for the new RF 500 f/4 and possibly 300 f/2.8 which may come out as a zoom first.

Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
It's still BS, here are the A1 measurements.

8K up to 30P: Over-sampled from 8640 x 4860 full width readout. 17ms rolling shutter. 1/57s readout speed.

FF 4K up to 60P: 2 x 2 pixel-binned from full width to 4320 x 2430, then over-sampled to 3840 x 2160. 9ms rolling shutter. 1/114s readout speed.

4K 120P: 2 x 2 pixel-binned from 7680 x 4320 window (1.12x crop) to 3840 x 2160. 8ms rolling shutter. 1/124s readout speed.

S35 crop 4K up to 60P: Over-sampled from 5760 x 3240 window (1.5x crop) to 3840 x 2160. 11ms rolling shutter. 1/90s readout speed.

The rolling shutter on the R5 is basically the same in these modes, except it has 4K HQ which is of course identical to 8K (the A1 has 4K HQ via HDMI).

So no, so far there hasn't been a camera where the stacked sensor actually works similarly in video mode, which implies that for video, going towards offering a global shutter (like the Komodo) may be more beneficial.

Without posting R5 numbers to go along with these, no one can compare rolling shutter performance in the two cameras. Saying "rolling shutter on the R5 is basically the same" isn't sufficient.

Upvote 0
Fascinating move. I think they're using the R3 to playtest the technology that will make its way into the R1. If the eye-controlled autofocus is poorly received, they may drop it from consideration for the R1, just like they dropped the touch bar from the Canon bodies after the R, when everyone hated it.
I think that's it exactly, just like the EOS-3 was for tech featured in the 1V and first 1D camera, and when you look even further back the way the A-1 and T-90 were also these "tweener" tech testbeds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
Nonsense. What it sounds like is, you're confusing what you want with what the market wants. Do you think Canon just randomly chooses what features to include? They don't do market research? Who sells more cameras, remind me?
I personally don't care about this kind of cameras anyway, the R is more than enough for me. Just talking about that from a marketing perspective and what Canon could do better. A lot of people buy brands that their favourite influencers buy (I don't say it's good but it is as it is – same like some people buy cars from brands that won F1 championship). So just saying. If Canon creates a small flagship camera for those influencers it would bring them a lot of sales of RP, R, R6 etc as well.
I agree with you that Canon know what to deliver to their current professional photographers thoug.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
I don't expect an R7 to cost as low as the 7D2 (even adjusting for inflation), but unless it's something like $3k I'll preorder it. And even then.... who knows.

I'll be happy to continue solely using my EF lenses for a while, the only RF lens that would tempt me would be a lens that compete with either Sony's 200-600mm or Nikon's 500mm f5.6.

Also, for QPAF on the R7 I think it also depends on how close to the R3 it's released. If they're both released at a similar time and the R7 has QPAF, then why wouldn't have the speedy and expensive R3 got it as well?
I agree and I think it will be a big seller , Canon have sold a lot of 7Dmark 2s and the number of people who shoot birds and other wildlife and sports is substantial and far more R7s will be sold than R3s or R1s as keen amateurs far out number the relatively small group of professionals that buy these flagships.

Upvote 0