Canon Announces That The Powerful Professional Full-Frame EOS R3 Mirrorless Camera Is On Its Way

Sep 20, 2020
i have a couple of observations to that, first, how do you know the sales numbers of the A1 vs the 1DX III
A1 is a top seller on Amazon and B and H.
1DX III is not in the top 50.
5D and 6D are in the top 20 and they are a lot older cameras.
They always outsold 1DX but I am pointing that out to show that it is not as if all DSLR cameras have stopped selling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
A1 is a top seller on Amazon and B and H.
1DX III is not in the top 50.
5D and 6D are in the top 20 and they are a lot older cameras.
They always outsold 1DX but I am pointing that out to show that it is not as if all DSLR cameras have stopped selling.
Aren't these kinds of rankings heavily weighted towards recent sales? The A1 is a much newer camera, so it would make sense to outsell existing models short term.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Aren't these kinds of rankings heavily weighted towards recent sales? The A1 is a much newer camera, so it would make sense to outsell existing models short term.
Yes, that is entirely true.
I probably did not put enough emphasis on it but to be clear my statement was about present-day sales.
I have no idea whether or not A1 has outsold 1DX III in the total number of units but it is selling as well as any new Sony camera even though it is the most expensive.
Most cameras that Canon sells are in the top 50 on both Amazon and B and H.
That includes some very old cameras.
1DX III is not in the top fifty on either.

By the way, these lists show how dominant Canon, Sony, and Nikon are and make me wonder why other companies even bother.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It’s best to ignore the past if doing so helps support one’s current hypothesis. Or so I’ve observed.

But the 1D X III was launched after it was pretty clear Canon was shifting to R bodies and RF lenses. Makes a tough sell.

Upvote 0
Yes, that is entirely true.
I probably did not put enough emphasis on it but to be clear my statement was about present-day sales.
I have no idea whether or not A1 has outsold 1DX III in the total number of units but it is selling as well as any new Sony camera even though it is the most expensive.
Most cameras that Canon sells are in the top 50 on both Amazon and B and H.
That includes some very old cameras.
1DX III is not in the top fifty on either.

By the way, these lists show how dominant Canon, Sony, and Nikon are and make me wonder why other companies even bother.
I'd also question how many would buy a 1DX III via Amazon? Given at least a chunk of the 1DX III market is pros, I'd expect them to purchase through Canon pro-stores, or their employers to get them in bulk direct from Canon (that's certainly how it happens here in the UK), whereas I'd expect consumer sales to be more heavily biased to online retailers such as Amazon.

I'm not knocking Amazon, nor suggesting the A1 isn't "pro", but suspect the two cameras have different retail patterns.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
It’s best to ignore the past if doing so helps support one’s current hypothesis. Or so I’ve observed.

But the 1D X III was launched after it was pretty clear Canon was shifting to R bodies and RF lenses. Makes a tough sell.
Good point on the 1D X III. I had 1D X II, but did not upgrade to the III; instead I waited for the Canon R5 and am waiting to see what the official specifications are on the R3.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I could see them rebranding M series, or at least the EF-M mount, as "Rebel Mx" series, in contradistinction to the Rebel Tx models.

But I agree there won't be any more mirror-flapper Rebels.
Why would they rebrand the EOS M system. It may of course be the reason why they chose to name these things the way they did, but to me (German), both the 'rebel' branding for the US and 'kiss' branding for the Asian markets just sound super cringe and add to customer confusion.

Can't they all be Canon EOS, since they all are electronic optical systems after all?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Why would they rebrand the EOS M system. It may of course be the reason why they chose to name these things the way they did, but to me (German), both the 'rebel' branding for the US and 'kiss' branding for the Asian markets just sound super cringe and add to customer confusion.

Can't they all be Canon EOS, since they all are electronic optical systems after all?

As far as I'm concerned it's just an irritant to have an EOS 750 also be a "Rebel T6i" (and that's assuming my memory isn't faulty) but Canon seems to think the "Rebel" name helps sales here. Certainly the consumer market is used to it.

It's no worse a code switch than my having to remember to switch to metric when not on a predominantly US forum.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I'd also question how many would buy a 1DX III via Amazon? Given at least a chunk of the 1DX III market is pros, I'd expect them to purchase through Canon pro-stores, or their employers to get them in bulk direct from Canon (that's certainly how it happens here in the UK), whereas I'd expect consumer sales to be more heavily biased to online retailers such as Amazon.

I'm not knocking Amazon, nor suggesting the A1 isn't "pro", but suspect the two cameras have different retail patterns.
I would have not long back when I could still get tax free through Amazon.

That just recently closed up like last year for me. I now do things through the B&H store card for all my high dollar purchases, and they give it to me free of sales tax, which is nice.

That can add up to a LOT of money saved when paying $6K or more for things.

I never buy unless I have the cash saved to pay for it.....so, I buy on the card, save the tax and pay off immediately.

C

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I would have not long back when I could still get tax free through Amazon.

That just recently closed up like last year for me. I now do things through the B&H store card for all my high dollar purchases, and they give it to me free of sales tax, which is nice.

That can add up to a LOT of money saved when paying $6K or more for things.

I never buy unless I have the cash saved to pay for it.....so, I buy on the card, save the tax and pay off immediately.

C
I also have the PayBoo card from B&H and enjoy them "reimbursing" back to me the tax I do have to pay (technically & legally speaking).

But for most of my lenses, I found an even better way to save money - using CPW and their even bigger discounts (provided you're willing to wait longer to get what you want).
Just remember if you buy from their CameraCanada dealer (with a valid USA/Canada warranty) that you can't get the optional extended Canon USA warranty (which is not a biggie for me but it's best to be informed).

Upvote 0
Problem is with the super-teles the IBIS and the IS start fighting each other when you are dealing with fast moving objects.
Was this with an EF or RF lens? Would it make a difference? From my limited understanding, having read the Canon marketing, the coordinated image stabilization (OIS+IBIS) only works with RF lenses. Is this a [good] reason for people with an EF 600mm to buy an RF 600mm instead? (Full disclosure: I would love to be able to afford a used EF 600mm if the price crashes when the market is flooded by people upgrading to RF :) )

Upvote 0
Was this with an EF or RF lens? Would it make a difference? From my limited understanding, having read the Canon marketing, the coordinated image stabilization (OIS+IBIS) only works with RF lenses. Is this a [good] reason for people with an EF 600mm to buy an RF 600mm instead? (Full disclosure: I would love to be able to afford a used EF 600mm if the price crashes when the market is flooded by people upgrading to RF :) )
It was an EF lens, but I don't expect that to make a difference... at least with the current new RF Super-Teles since they were effectively the old lens with a permanently attached EF-RF converter. I wouldn't expect a rush of people buying the new RF 600 f4 for this reason. Maybe when they redesign the lens from the ground up for RF. The thing is that you used to be able to overwhelm the lens based IS system if you were moving the lens quickly and now the addition of IBIS has made the system too strong. These are big elements moving around for stabilization in the big whites. The best would be an option to turn off IBIS or OIS independently depending on the situation. If you're looking a static scene where you really don't need to move the lens much (like a perched bird) the combination is amazing. Birds in flight are a different situation.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It was an EF lens, but I don't expect that to make a difference... at least with the current new RF Super-Teles since they were effectively the old lens with a permanently attached EF-RF converter.
If there truly was no difference between using the RF versions of these lenses and using an adapter, I really don't see the point of them. A proper comparison will be interesting to see since at least there is the potential for differences in terms of the electronics and communications, even if they are optically the same.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
If there truly was no difference between using the RF versions of these lenses and using an adapter, I really don't see the point of them. A proper comparison will be interesting to see since at least there is the potential for differences in terms of the electronics and communications, even if they are optically the same.
As others have pointed out, European Canon sites have mentioned that the RF versions have dual power focus drive. My guess I that this feature will allow the lens to focus at 30 fps so it can keep up with the stacked sensor in the to be released R3.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0