Canon Announces That The Powerful Professional Full-Frame EOS R3 Mirrorless Camera Is On Its Way

Sep 20, 2020
top 10 of DSLR's isn't exactly an achievement these days.
7D is #36 of all digital camera sales at B & H.
Whether that is good or bad depends on how many cameras sell overall and what the drop-off is between the sales rankings.
If #36 is not good then everybody except for Sony, Canon, and Nikon is in big trouble.
(Maybe not Fuji since there were some Instax cameras high up on the list.)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Echoing this comment I queried Duade Paton about this very subject. Duade is a prominent YT video creator located in Down Under, specializing mostly in bird photography. Following was first, my question followed by his response.

"Love your very informative and practical YT videos, Duade. Was wondering, when using this set up on your tripod, do you disable your lens IS setting and if not, what IS setting do you use? Always look fwd to your next video."

Duade Paton
Duade Paton

gday
Mike, thanks for your comment, I never turn off the IS as I am too forgetful and would forget to turn it back on. Pretty sure it is set to IS mode 1 on my 500. Cheers, Duade

So, you can see, usern4cr, Duade agrees with you.
I never did either until I got the R5. Curious as to what body he's using.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I never did either until I got the R5. Curious as to what body he's using.
That certainly could have some bearing on his answer. Currently, Duade is using an R6 with EF500mm F4Lis ii, using an EF-RF adapter. He didn't qualify his response but in the video he answered my query about, he was using his 5D Mark 1V with the EF 500mm. While he played with a friend's R5, I don't know if he has picked one up for personal use or not. Thx for your comment.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Lightweight travel tripods have design compromises but that doesn't mean they aren't functional, I'd much prefer carrying a light tripod up a creek bed to photograph a waterfall than carry the 10 pound aluminum one that Lester Bogen was photographed sitting on.
Of course, you carry what you want. Obviously. And if the tripod does not steady the camera, it is non-functional. Obviously.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Of course, you carry what you want. Obviously. And if the tripod does not steady the camera, it is non-functional. Obviously.
There is a difference between something not functioning, and something functioning in certain conditions and use cases.

A thick, heavy tripod isn't functioning at all if you can't take it with you due to weight or size constraints, for example. And of course it can't guarantee steady images if it is positioned on vibrating surfaces, like a bridge or the deck of a ship, for example. In the former case it may nonetheless offer an improvement over handholding, so functioning, but to a lesser degree. Or functioning, but only for the brief periods were no traffic is passing by.

Don't denounce products that don't serve your niche or your specific use cases. That's not helping anybody.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
you mean the camera sytem that if you mount an extender on your super telephoto that you risk detaching the lens because some idiot at Sony decided that the release should be where your fingers grip the camera?

Sounds like S*ny usability and ergos have not improved since I stopped buying their products twenty years ago.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Is it just me or more and more people would like to buy a flagship camera if it's not this huge body? Everyone seems to like the A1 for it's smaller size so Canon could make one camera like this. At least for "marketing" purposes.

Smaller size matters until you put the lens on. Unless you walk around with a pancake lens on all the time I don‘t think camera body size matters at all.

As for the A1, the ergo is crap IMO just like most of the Sony cameras I’ve held. It’s like a little box with a hump stuck on one for your fingers to wrap around - they “feel“ horrible.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I, personally don't care about the size of the camera body. A lighter weight is welcome, but I don't care about the size.

IME, what people like about the A1 isn't the size, it's that it's really a flagship camera. It's meant to do everything. Action/wildlife, plus 50 MP. Canon still seems to be separating their sports/wildlife line from their studio/high res line.

I don't mind that myself. I prefer carrying two bodies, and avoiding have to swap lenses all the time. But I could see people who just want to buy one camera preferring the A1.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Ergonomics is a very personal decision. I have used Sony A9II and Canon R5 bodies both with vertical grips. For me I found the Canon fit me better. The Sony was too small and buttons and dials did not line up with a position that was natural for me. For an individual with smaller hands maybe a Sony is a better choice. My first digital camera was a Nikon D200. It is absolutely amazing how technology has progressed in the last 16 years!

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Echoing this comment I queried Duade Paton about this very subject. Duade is a prominent YT video creator located in Down Under, specializing mostly in bird photography. Following was first, my question followed by his response.

"Love your very informative and practical YT videos, Duade. Was wondering, when using this set up on your tripod, do you disable your lens IS setting and if not, what IS setting do you use? Always look fwd to your next video."

Duade Paton
Duade Paton

gday
Mike, thanks for your comment, I never turn off the IS as I am too forgetful and would forget to turn it back on. Pretty sure it is set to IS mode 1 on my 500. Cheers, Duade

So, you can see, usern4cr, Duade agrees with you.
Thanks, Canonmike. You put a smile on my face!

I've been taking so many shots on my tripods over the last years and have always left all the IS on - in fact I rely heavily on it when the wind is hitting the camera & tripod. And I've never been disappointed yet with the results. And I certainly enjoy carrying a lightweight (carbon fiber if possible) tripod when I do use one, as the really heavy ones I previously had are sitting comfortably in my basement (gathering dust) or else being sold off.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks, Canonmike. You put a smile on my face!

I've been taking so many shots on my tripods over the last years and have always left all the IS on - in fact I rely heavily on it when the wind is hitting the camera & tripod. And I've never been disappointed yet with the results. And I certainly enjoy carrying a lightweight (carbon fiber if possible) tripod when I do use one, as the really heavy ones I previously had are sitting comfortably in my basement (gathering dust) or else being sold off.
People can suggest different techniques but, in the end, the voice of reason based on one's own experience always trumps those suggestions. Glad leaving the "is" turned on works for you.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Ergonomics is a very personal decision. I have used Sony A9II and Canon R5 bodies both with vertical grips.
They are very different cameras.
Same with A1 and 1DX.
1DX always outsold A9 but it is getting trounced by A1.
I am not sure if just making R3 a more capable R5 or 1DX will get A1 sales numbers.
Sony does not have its own cheaper R5 to compete against and most of the people I know who bought 1DX for its video capabilities defected to C70.

PS: I heard that the reason that there was never an EOS 3D is that Canon made 3D video cameras and wanted to avoid confusion.
(An EOS 3D with 2 lenses and sensors for 3D photography and video would be pretty cool)

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
IME, what people like about the A1 isn't the size, it's that it's really a flagship camera. It's meant to do everything. Action/wildlife, plus 50 MP. Canon still seems to be separating their sports/wildlife line from their studio/high res line.

It's interesting to me that the A1 and R5 have virtually the same specs in most categories, but because Sony branded the A1 as a flagship, it has the reputation for being a do-all body. Just funny how marketing works.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I have the A9 and It needs the grip to have usable ergonomics IMO. I would have much preferred the A1 to have an integrated grip. It needn't be any larger that way, but it is a more robust and better sealed option than an external grip. The R3 is still much smaller than the 1DXIII, and the photos don't show it will be a lot less deep and IMO should come in around 1kg. My A9 with grip and 2 batteries is around 950g IIRC. I have the A7RIII and dislike how my pinky dangles in free air. At worst I'd have preferred to A1 body to be about 1cm taller than the A9 so my pinky would fit.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
They are very different cameras.
Same with A1 and 1DX.
1DX always outsold A9 but it is getting trounced by A1.
I am not sure if just making R3 a more capable R5 or 1DX will get A1 sales numbers.

i have a couple of observations to that, first, how do you know the sales numbers of the A1 vs the 1DX III? I’d bet there isn’t a single person on the planet that knows both those numbers.

Second, comparing 1DX III sales to A1 sales is fallacious, the 1DX III is Canons last pro body in a discontinued system, the A1 is Sonys first ‘pro’ body (which is bull but It is their first body in this price range) and there was a pent up demand from Sony users. I doubt if there are many 1DX II users selling their cameras to buy A1’s, I’d think most 1 series users looking to go mirrorless are waiting to see what Canon have in the pipeline, and that R3 looks damn interesting...

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Something that also just occurred to me, I wonder if Canon will advertise the crop mode on the R3 more? If the R3 is 50 mp, it will have a ~20 megapixel crop mode, which is on par with the 7D mark II. If Canon adds more support to the crop mode to stand on its own(allowing faster read/etc speeds from center of sensor only, infinite raw buffer, higher FPS, or etc), I could see Canon advertising the R3 towards birders and saying it's both a full frame camera for low light, with the reach of the 7D Mark II in good light. Especially if it comes under the price of the 1dx, it would make some marketing sense to draw in that crowd.

I do think there's definitely a dedicated R7 crop camera coming, though. I wouldn't think a high-res crop mode would ever replace the cheaper cost of a crop sensor.

Upvote 0
Mar 19, 2021
Something that also just occurred to me, I wonder if Canon will advertise the crop mode on the R3 more? If the R3 is 50 mp, it will have a ~20 megapixel crop mode, which is on par with the 7D mark II. If Canon adds more support to the crop mode to stand on its own(allowing faster read/etc speeds from center of sensor only, infinite raw buffer, higher FPS, or etc), I could see Canon advertising the R3 towards birders and saying it's both a full frame camera for low light, with the reach of the 7D Mark II in good light. Especially if it comes under the price of the 1dx, it would make some marketing sense to draw in that crowd.

I do think there's definitely a dedicated R7 crop camera coming, though. I wouldn't think a high-res crop mode would ever replace the cheaper cost of a crop sensor.
R100 could have something like 80 megapixel stacked 9 rollingshutter subsensors too, what would give 1´´ crop mode. affordable cost.
Rebels arent usually under sport model resolution :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
On mirrorless cameras in crop mode the EVF automatically zooms in so the cropped sensor occupies the entire viewfinder. IMO this is one of the reasons I really enjoying using my R5 with the RF 100-500 mm lens. With the press of a button I can switch between FULL and APSC and the viewfinder automatically takes care of the rest.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0