Canon Announces That The Powerful Professional Full-Frame EOS R3 Mirrorless Camera Is On Its Way

I don’t think this camera shoots video. And if it does it will be extremely limited. No mention of video in the teaser and not a single microphone hole visible on the body.
The Canon Europe website states that it's "for pro sports photography and filmmaking", so it does have some video capability. It's safe to say that the focus is on photography though.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Does back illuminating means wring under sensor is so well insulated that it can be pushed so hard that it glows from heat?
I understand it like this:

A normal sensor is constructed similar to the human eye, so that the wires/nerves are in front of the actual receptors, effectively blocking a portion of the light.

In a backside illuminated sensor, the wiring runs were you would intuitively expect it: on the side opposite of where the light hits. So it doesn't block light and also allows more complex circuits.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 19, 2021

A normal sensor is constructed similar to the human eye, so that the wires/nerves are in front of the actual receptors, effectively blocking a portion of the light.

In a backside illuminated sensor, the wiring runs were you would intuitively expect it: on the side opposite of where the light hits. So it doesn't block light and also allows more complex circuits.
Thanks joules :)
kind of obscure engineering concept .
Hehe i wonder if they churn out new 6dii sensor with backside wiring :p

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA

Very good analogy, Joules. I've been saying for a while that I don't know how Canon could get really high MP sensors with their existing technology (with front side wiring obscuring the pixel sensors) unless they switched to BSI sensors. Now that they've switched, it probably means that one (BSI) of them in the future will be the one with really high MP count. It might even be the R3 itself - after all, it's "only" DP technology and the future QP technology will probably take more area per pixel and thus not be as appropriate for the highest MP sensor.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
If there truly was no difference between using the RF versions of these lenses and using an adapter, I really don't see the point of them. A proper comparison will be interesting to see since at least there is the potential for differences in terms of the electronics and communications, even if they are optically the same.
I agree. The RF mount has more electrical contacts which will enable separation of things like IS and AF to enable faster response times. I have some hazy memory that at least one of the later EF superteles had additional contacts that confused some people - rumours of the Canon FF mirroless have been round for years, so it would not surprise me if the RF architecture has been on the board for 5 or 6 years and Canon have been waiting until their sensors and processors can take full advantage and in the meantime have designed later EF lenses to take advantage of it. This approach of designing lenses lenses for future bodies has been recognised for a while now.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
As others have pointed out, European Canon sites have mentioned that the RF versions have dual power focus drive. My guess I that this feature will allow the lens to focus at 30 fps so it can keep up with the stacked sensor in the to be released R3.
I would like to see a clarification of the dual focus motors in the newly announced 4 and 600 RF teles, showing whether they actually can focus faster or not. I'm still a little surprised, given the cost of both, that no control ring was included on these lenses and have been wondering why the omission??

Upvote 0
The idea seems do be convincing people not to switch to Sony so fast and instead wait a few more months.

I would really like to know about new cameras very early, as it gives me the chance to make better decisions. For example if the R3 really comes out, I would already like to know a lot about the R1 that will probably arrive a few months later. It is so frustrating to buy a new camera and shortly after the same manufacturer come with a much better one. Especially if you are a hobbyist lke me who wants to use a camera for at least eight years.
The better camera is usually the next iteration.

The best camera is always the one in your hand.

Upvote 0
There is little chance of that since R3 is 30FPS and R1 is expected to be a 1DX replacement but I would not rule out an R3S or R1S.
The 1DX has disappointed some 1Ds user (not me), but it make sense to have a pro body for studio stuff, and hope Canon is listening.

People who never used 1D series camera will never understand that.

Upvote 0