Here are more images of the Canon EOS R3

Jan 30, 2020
More and More? Not one! As in zero. Not at our "agency" or those we compete with. As for "Press"... we see kids and adults sent from locals that show up with cell phones, P&S and assorted low-budget kits and their work product reflects their exp and equipment. You get what you pay for on both sides of the lens.
That is primarily due to no pro level MILCs available until this year. Once the R3 and Z9 come out, I suspect you will see many of them on the sidelines before too long.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
The R1 won't have an OVF either. EVFs are getting better and better every year, and do have some advantages over OVF such as viewing in near darkness, etc.
When they get better than an OVF, you let us know.

As for shooting in near darkness, which pro sport is that?

Have you seen the noise in an EVF in low light and with no practical reason as the stadiums we shoot in can be seen from space ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
And yet some situations clearly favor MILC’s, golf backswings and tennis are two I personally know where true silent shutters that MILC’s enable shots DSLR users cannot get.
For Tennis we are positioned next to the CBS suite and on the opposite side. You can't hear our cameras on court.

As for golf we get every Augusta shot and the reason the shots are so beautiful and crushed is we're using 400mm 600 200-400 and even 800's. As of last year, drones. We have prime shooting locations and again.... you can't hear our cameras from those distances

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
For Tennis we are positioned next to the CBS suite and on the opposite side. You can't hear our cameras on court.

As for golf we get every Augusta shot and the reason the shots are so beautiful and crushed is we're using 400mm 600 200-400 and even 800's. As of last year, drones. We have prime shooting locations and again.... you can't hear our cameras from those distances
That’s the point, with modern cameras you don’t need to use a 400 or an 800 to keep far enough away from the action to not disturb it. Some pros are getting shots you can’t because your gear is too noisy unless you are using a dumb blimp and if you are your not using an OVF anyway!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Some would go so far as to say.... remove the video from the IDXMKIII... Utilize the new focus system, double resolution and keep the OVF. A specialized "Stripped Down" camera for sports professionals.

I would pay $8,000 per copy for this stripped down camera
What would you pay for a flying purple unicorn that farts rainbows? Because Canon will start selling those about 6 months before they launch your "Stripped Down" camera.

• Haha
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
That’s the point, with modern cameras you don’t need to use a 400 or an 800 to keep far enough away from the action to not disturb it. Some pros are getting shots you can’t because your gear is too noisy unless you are using a dumb blimp and if you are your not using an OVF anyway!
What are you talking about? These are the best shooting locations. We are with the Networks, Magazines and Newspapers. Were ALL using big whites. It has nothing to do with noise.

Upvote 0
In the new teaser Canon mentions a couple of interesting things:

Uses the LP-E19 battery - same as the 1DX Mark III
4K video and 4K oversampled video. No mention of 8k
Vehicle and motorcycle AF detection and improved face, eye, head and body detection among other AF subject detection and tracking improvements.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
In the new teaser Canon mentions a couple of interesting things:

Uses the LP-E19 battery - same as the 1DX Mark III
4K video and 4K oversampled video. No mention of 8k
Vehicle and motorcycle AF detection and improved face, eye, head and body detection among other AF subject detection and tracking improvements.

Thanks for the link. I’m sure they would have mentioned 8k if it had it. I was actually hoping it would have similar resolution as the R5, but suspect it will be quite a bit less...

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015

Additional details on the R3

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
some new official informations

it seams 4k is the max for the video so I guess less mpx than the r5.

Not necessarily. Canon is saying 4K HQ. We don’t know what res it’s over sampling from. It’s also possible that Canon is promoting 4K HQ RAW recording currently, which is a feature the R5 does not have.

Upvote 0
Not necessarily. Canon is saying 4K HQ. We don’t know what res it’s over sampling from. It’s also possible that Canon is promoting 4K HQ RAW recording currently, which is a feature the R5 does not have.
Considering it will be raw and raw has never been less than the native resolution except when there is a crop I'm sceptical. I hope you are right, but that would also mean that they will introduce some new raw compressions for video.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
No, it was clearly mentioned separately. 4K HQ or RAW recording modes, which is the full resolution of the sensor. Same codecs they use in the R5 and 1DX III.

My guess is that the megapixel count is somewhere between the R5 and the R6 as the latter is rated for -6.5EV over the -6EV on the R5, suggesting less megapixels being better for low-light AF.

Upvote 0
I don't think I've seen anyone mention it here, but don't you think the hit of losing the AP deal to Sony must have played a part in the design of their new Pro line of cameras?
If the EVF and ergonomics of the A9 are good enough for the biggest news agency in the US surely that must bear some weight.
In that sort of deals it is not only important how good the camera is, but what Sony offered to the agency as a deal. It could mean that its not the best camera but it was probably the best deal.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia

Additional details on the R3
its either 6k or a stacked version of the 1dxiii sensor.

Upvote 0