Industry News: Nikon officially announces the Nikon Z fc

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
In road cycling builds, we would call this a Neo Retro. The good looks with all the modern tidbits for the latest needs/wants (it doesn't make it run any better, quite the opposite sometimes). It doesn't have a gender specific look to it, that's rubbish since color doesn't know bias, just idiotic humans. It looks solid. I like it. I was a Nikon film kid, had both an FM and an EM. Kind of like a 7D and an M5.

All four of those are awesome and I bet this is too, enjoy Nikonians!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
In road cycling builds, we would call this a Neo Retro. The good looks with all the modern tidbits for the latest needs/wants (it doesn't make it run any better, quite the opposite sometimes). It doesn't have a gender specific look to it, that's rubbish since color doesn't know bias, just idiotic humans. It looks solid. I like it. I was a Nikon film kid, had both an FM and an EM. Kind of like a 7D and an M5.

All four of those are awesome and I bet this is too, enjoy Nikonians!
Still miss my Basso Lotto

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
To me, the press release reads more like the announcement of a fashion accessory. I guess I’m old school, so maybe that’s what sells today.
The press release has hundreds of words of marketing gibberish that translate to “we hope some people will think it looks cool.”

I’ll take a light AE-1 lookalike in FF RF Mount.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
I'm wondering why Nikon has included a rear display?
What's the point of this retro styled cameras?
Does people buy this becaus the like unconfortable buttons and controlls layout (because once they had to be like this for construction reasons, e.g. lot of mechanikal parts etc.)?
I bought a m6 markii with ev + lense for 800€ this seems quite expensive for 20MP. What do you think?
See: Fuji. Not everyone cares about megapixels and autofocus.

I would love to see Canon play this game too. A full frame EOS RP with A-1 retro styling would have my money.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Anyone looking for a friendly retro camera should look no further than the Fuji X100. I heard “is that a Leica?” All the time.
Most people don’t know what a Leica is, and don’t care. You saying this reminds me of a guy I knew. He replaced the badging on his VW Fox with BMW badging and a racing stripe. Only fooled himself and those who didn’t know better. I carry around a fake Gucci purse, just so I can hear people say, “Oh wow! A Gucci!”

That said, good move by Nikon. It will sell, but not because people mistake it for that relatively unknown “Leica” in the sane world. Nikon is far more well known.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
See: Fuji. Not everyone cares about megapixels and autofocus.

I would love to see Canon play this game too. A full frame EOS RP with A-1 retro styling would have my money.
I have to say, I DO like having physical control knobs, dedicated function on a smaller camera.

I would really like the Pro-3 if it were a FF camera.....with rangefinder style EVF...it keeps the profile smaller on it, and I like physical knobs to fiddle with to set my ISO, SS...and I really prefer to have the choice to set my aperture on the lens too if given that choice.

I like that part of "retro"...

But that size of camera to just grab and carry everywhere....is something appealing for me....maybe there is a broader market for this too?

Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
Most people don’t know what a Leica is, and don’t care. You saying this reminds me of a guy I knew. He replaced the badging on his VW Fox with BMW badging and a racing stripe. Only fooled himself and those who didn’t know better. I carry around a fake Gucci purse, just so I can hear people say, “Oh wow! A Gucci!”

That said, good move by Nikon. It will sell, but not because people mistake it for that relatively unknown “Leica” in the sane world. Nikon is far more well known.
I seem to have given the mistaken impression that I think being mistaken for a Leica is important or of value, or even related to my point that the Fuji X100 is a friendly retro camera. The inquiries didn't come from photo equipment sophisticates (obviously given their errors), or anyone who realized what an economically stratospheric brand that is. Just that they saw it as retro.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but comparing it to a wanna-be mis-badging, or assuming I was trying to deceive others into thinking my camera was worth 10x what it was would be a little insulting.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I seem to have given the mistaken impression that I think being mistaken for a Leica is important or of value, or even related to my point that the Fuji X100 is a friendly retro camera. The inquiries didn't come from photo equipment sophisticates (obviously given their errors), or anyone who realized what an economically stratospheric brand that is. Just that they saw it as retro.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but comparing it to a wanna-be mis-badging, or assuming I was trying to deceive others into thinking my camera was worth 10x what it was would be a little insulting.
Furthermore, Leica being an unknown brand is a US phenomenon. The rest of the world, esp Europe is up to speed on the red dot.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

Never meant for a moment that you were trying to decieve.

Upvote 0