The Canon EOS R5c is coming in Q1 2022 [CR3]

Jan 29, 2011
C70 will keep internal NDs, XLR inputs, SDI output and better dynamic range over the R5C, hence the price
I know, I said that. But you are putting an 8k ff sensor with superb HQ oversampled 4K against a 4K S35 sensor for very similar money. I know those that need XLR’s and SDI’s etc appreciate and would get the C70 anyway, again, I know the differences between the two. My open question was that it is an interesting marketing and pricing conundrum for Canon.

Personally if I was a video shooter the C70 makes much more sense to me than a video camera that gives up nearly every other video centric feature for a headline 8k. I’m just wondering out loud where Canon will draw the line on R5C features and price.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
C70 will keep internal NDs, XLR inputs, SDI output and better dynamic range over the R5C, hence the price
I know, I said that. But you are putting an 8k ff sensor with superb HQ oversampled 4K against a 4K S35 sensor for very similar money.
The C70 image is actually superior to the R5 (a bit less digital)
4k60p (if not shot in crop mode) and 4k120p much higher quality as well, the R5 gets softer in those modes and I don't see them enabling 8k60p in this generation of cameras.

So no, an actively cooled R5 is still only a companion to the C70, not a replacement.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I know, I said that. But you are putting an 8k ff sensor with superb HQ oversampled 4K against a 4K S35 sensor for very similar money. I know those that need XLR’s and SDI’s etc appreciate and would get the C70 anyway, again, I know the differences between the two. My open question was that it is an interesting marketing and pricing conundrum for Canon.

Personally if I was a video shooter the C70 makes much more sense to me than a video camera that gives up nearly every other video centric feature for a headline 8k. I’m just wondering out loud where Canon will draw the line on R5C features and price.
My guess is it will be similarly priced to the R5 but with a smaller sensor size like 35,4MP to differentiate it and segment the line

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
It will be, but not packed with those features (NDS, XLR, TC) that would kill the rest of the line
An 8K cinema line is supposed to be coming.
It is a bit early to say that one camera in the line would kill off the others when none exist yet.
I hope that Canon makes the first camera with internal NDs and IBIS.
Since no one else has done it, I will not chalk it up to conspiracy if it does not happen.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
That said, I'm troubled by the heat of my R5 for still shooting. On a warm day in a mostly shady back yard, I shot 192 still images in 16 minutes, following a 55 minute break after shooting a couple dozen images. That's 12 shots per minute.

It gets hot at the grip area. Uncomfortable enough that rotating to vertical to hold the battery grip is a relief. Enough to make one understand the concept of low-temperature burns. I shot some images with my phone using my Leupold LTO, which does not show absolute temps.

It shows the hot areas rear, with card extended, side, top and front.

The first impression is that the card is the "smoking gun" but it wasn't alarmingly hot more than the rest, and I suspect it just reflects interior temp, not the heat source.
the cards do generate an incredible amount of heat which is then trapped inside and I assume spreads. I've had the card on an external reader (prograde also) and it gets nasty hot after transferring files. its incredible how how cards can get.. same with batteries. This used to occur on earlier cameras (like my 80d) but they were pushing much less data so more tolerance.. we're now pushing incredible amounts or data, so doesn't surprise me it gets hoooooot, esp with amazing weather sealing.. no good way to dissipate it.

it basically requires a rethink and probably some tough choices on weather sealing vs heat dissipation. Active cooling probably compromises weather sealing. Maybe specific areas can be made to act like heat sinks, but not an expert (will readily admit)

really noticed it during a recent heat wave, it was incredibly uncomfortable to hold and battery seemed to drain faster in the heat. Still love the camera though.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
My guess is it will be similarly priced to the R5 but with a smaller sensor size like 35,4MP to differentiate it and segment the line
Not a chance. It will have the same sensor (for cost) and be a lot more expensive than the R5. My guess puts it very close to the C70 which is why I commented.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
An 8K cinema line is supposed to be coming.
It is a bit early to say that one camera in the line would kill off the others when none exist yet.
I hope that Canon makes the first camera with internal NDs and IBIS.
Since no one else has done it, I will not chalk it up to conspiracy if it does not happen.
I think the tech is years ahead in a lot of fields but companies just have to follow a route map.

It’s not conspiracy, it’s business

Upvote 0
Nice news, but I still hope for any R7 rumors that are not too far away from reality ;)
Unless it also comes with its own line of smaller mount and cheaper lenses I’m not understanding the need as you could just crop tighter (the R5 has a 1.6x crop option in camera) the R cameras are already smaller in form than a dslr, any smaller and they’d be cumbersome to use like the Sony bodies.

Upvote 0