The Canon EOS R5c is coming in Q1 2022 [CR3]

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
wouldn't haptic feedback be a source of vibration which is what we are trying to avoid?
Potentially, depending on exposure and lens. Which can be used to set rules to lock out the function or throttle the magnitude to avoid adverse effects. Or it might be nothing in the real world. And can be an option.

if I’m not mistaken I have this concept in a pending patent application.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm basing my belief on the fact that Sony put more powerful batteries in the a7Riv (and a7iii ?) which are both considerably cheaper cameras than the R5. If it's affordable for Sony, it should be affordable for Canon.
Sony's battery for A7Riv and A1 is only 7% more capacity than R5. It's not the cost but the power consumption that is the difference in CIPA/real life shooting between Sony and Canon. Sony's Bionz XR processor is more power efficient than Canon's Digic X. Carrying a spare battery is new for me but it is a small price to pay for the performance over my 5Div

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
What happened to the c50 in the first half of this year? Is it still on canons launch list or do they not intend on producing a reliable rf cine camera comparable to the c100?
I think Canon is trying to give the C70 some breathing room to counter the a7siii, Red Komodo and BM6kPro. Or the C50 went back to the old drawing board for better specs/sensor. It's a boxy camera.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I wonder if that otherwise-useless "rate" button turns on the EVF when pressed.

Yes, I recognize it's a workaround. But, how would a user selectable EVF duration solve this problem? (Or are you thinking one of the durations could be "never"?) if set to ten seconds and you wanted it after 11, it wouldn't be long enough; in your situation I can imagine it needed to be at least 20 minutes. What you probably really want, therefore, is a way to force it always to be on. (And your suggested workarounds suggest, to me at least, that this is so. Putting tape over a sensor would be annoying to undo and redo over and over again, so that one tells me you just never want the thing to switch off, ever.)

The EVF is a significant battery drain. I have no idea how long an EP 6 NH (or whatever the newest one is named) will run the EVF if it does nothing else; which is why I was suggesting a button to hit basically as you start lifting the camera to your eyes (this avoids the issues of other things running because the viewfinder is always on, too). If that gives it enough time to wake up by the time it's at your eyes, great! If not, then Canon should work on the viewfinder latency in addition to what you're asking for. Because, even if you're wanting/willing to have the viewfinder ON at all times, perhaps others would find the push-a-button-to-give-the-EVF-a-heads-up solution to be the best for their situation.
The rate button will activate the EVF but I've settled on tapping the depth of field preview, which is a more convenient location and a larger button. If there was a user-adjustable timer, I would probably set mine to about 2 minutes - I can live with tapping a button every 2 minutes, but having to tap it every 4 seconds is crazy.

Perhaps a better solution might be to be able to assign a button to toggle the EVF on or off, that way the user could decide exactly how long to leave it on. Forcing it to remain on all the time would place too much drain on the battery, as you point out.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The S1H screen does look interesting. It is a bigger unit though. Reliability may be one issue compared to the vari-angle screen. Canon seemed to care that a fixed screen was essential for reliability for 5D/1D but the tides have changed there for R3/5/6
Yes, if a camera with the vari-angle screen was knocked, or heaven forbid dropped, I'm pretty sure that the joint would break, and it would result in an expensive repair possibly involving replacing the entire back-plate of the camera. Vari-angle screens also block or limit access to the ports, and they're horrible if you are trying to pan or follow action with a macro or telephoto.

I'm sure that Canon would rather have a fixed screen, or a less-fragile tilting screen, but they've bowed to pressure from the video crowd. The S1H screen looks to be much less prone to damage, albeit at the expense of increased size and weight. TBH, I might possibly have chosen S1R instead of R5, if it wasn't for the inferior Panasonic AF.

I'm pretty happy with the R5 though, despite any criticisms I might make.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Sony's battery for A7Riv and A1 is only 7% more capacity than R5. It's not the cost but the power consumption that is the difference in CIPA/real life shooting between Sony and Canon. Sony's Bionz XR processor is more power efficient than Canon's Digic X. Carrying a spare battery is new for me but it is a small price to pay for the performance over my 5Div
Agreed - the bigger issue is the power consumption, and it is here that Sony have a clear lead. But given the fact that Canons are more power-hungry, I think they made a mistake continuing with the LP-E6 battery format. The LP-E6NH is powerful enough to last at least a full day in a 5DMkiv or 5DS, but will only power a R5 for 3-4 hours of my usage. I definitely need to carry 2 spares at all times, and to check the battery indicator more often, as there are few things worse than having a camera die just as a bird or animal appears (only to disappear moments later...). It's very easy to overlook the battery indicator until it starts flashing red, and by then you may only have enough juice left for 2 or 3 shots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think Canon marketing made too much of the R5 as a high res video camera. To me, it was a stills camera that had a hybrid ability to shoot some video, but many have taken it that it should work like a professional dedicated video camera. It flies in the face of logic to expect a camera that is small and has weather sealing to dissipate heat effectively. I am glad that a R5C is on the way - perhaps it will take the heat (both literally and figuratively) off the R5.

Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
I think Canon marketing made too much of the R5 as a high res video camera. To me, it was a stills camera that had a hybrid ability to shoot some video, but many have taken it that it should work like a professional dedicated video camera. It flies in the face of logic to expect a camera that is small and has weather sealing to dissipate heat effectively. I am glad that a R5C is on the way - perhaps it will take the heat (both literally and figuratively) off the R5.
Was it Canon or was it us? Yes, they trickled bits of information that generated volumes of speculation. But the real tragedy was the reviewers with their lofty expectations——regardless, I too am glad that the R5 will be a reality.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Was it Canon or was it us? Yes, they trickled bits of information that generated volumes of speculation. But the real tragedy was the reviewers with their lofty expectations——regardless, I too am glad that the R5 will be a reality.
It was Canon. They gave a big presentation before release and really focused on the 4k/8k video aspect. Granted it was right at the time of a big video conference from what I remember, but it was the biggest release they had and the timing couldn't have been any worse since they hyped up that so much.

I was impressed at the time, although I admit I was in it for the stills.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The rate button will activate the EVF but I've settled on tapping the depth of field preview, which is a more convenient location and a larger button. If there was a user-adjustable timer, I would probably set mine to about 2 minutes - I can live with tapping a button every 2 minutes, but having to tap it every 4 seconds is crazy.

Perhaps a better solution might be to be able to assign a button to toggle the EVF on or off, that way the user could decide exactly how long to leave it on. Forcing it to remain on all the time would place too much drain on the battery, as you point out.

How long does it take to wake up after it has been tapped (if it has gone to sleep)? Is that fast enough that the EVF is on by the time you get the EVF to your eyeball?

Upvote 0

st jack photography

..a shuttered lens, backwards viewing backwards..
I owned a 5DS before upgrading to an R5, and I found the noise levels of the 5DS above ISO 800 to be intolerable. I'd imagine that noise levels on a 100MP FF sensor, even 5 years later, would still be objectionable (to me) above ISO 800. So, much as I love my Canon gear, if I wanted/needed 100MP, I'd probably get a Fujifilm GFX100.

Agree regarding the EVF - an up-flipping version would be very welcome, and I wish my R5 had one. I'd also prefer a tilting monitor in preference to the video-centric vari-angle monitors that Canon normally fit.
Oh, the noise on my speculated 100mp camera would be as atrocious as the 5dsr, which I NEVER used above 400 ISO. Also this speculated 100mp camera would have an fps of 2 to 5. I agree with your FUJI statement to a degree. I would have to measure the fuji lens prices against all the Canon glass I have at present, which isn't a lot. I too may jump to FUJI in that instance, especially being a commercial shooter. Medium Format is IT when you shoot commercial.
It is just that I do like Canon very much, despite almost jumping ship when the RF came out and I felt abandoned with all my obsolete EF lenses.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Oh, the noise on my speculated 100mp camera would be as atrocious as the 5dsr, which I NEVER used above 400 ISO.
Have you been satisfied with lower MP cameras at higher ISOs? Because if you downsample the 5DsR files to those lower resolutions, the noise will be essentially the same as those lower MP images (technically slightly less, but probably not enough to matter).

But if you’re one of those photographers to whom pixels matter more than pictures, shoot medium format at base ISO only. Better yet, get the LargeSense LS911. It’s only 12 MP, but the sensor is 8x10”. Anything less is just a poor compromise for a truly discerning photographer.

…when the RF came out and I felt abandoned with all my obsolete EF lenses.
All 14 of my EF lenses, covering a focal range from 11mm to 600mm (1200mm with the 2xIII on my 600/4) seem to work fine on my EOS R, with a simple adapter. Even if I wanted to, I couldn’t replace my 11-24/4, my TS-E 17 and 24, or my MP-E 65 with similar RF lenses.

Still, I understand that abandonment issues are tough. Fortunately you didn’t have to go through the FD to EOS shift, you probably would not have even survived.

Too bad your EF lenses are all obsolete. I’m sure that in a couple months you’ll be desperately searching for the 2022 model of your car, since the moment it comes out your 2021 model will be obsolete.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
How long does it take to wake up after it has been tapped (if it has gone to sleep)? Is that fast enough that the EVF is on by the time you get the EVF to your eyeball?
It takes less than half a second for the EVF to reactivate, and it probably takes a full second to raise my camera to the eye, so the EVF is on by then. I haven't compared the R5 side by side with Sony, Nikon or Panasonic, so I don't know whether the R5 is worse than other brands, or just average.

I'm sure that the EVF startup lag is one of the reasons why most pros still prefer DSLRs. It will be interesting to see whether Canon have solved this issue with the R3, and how well that camera will compare with the Sony a1 and Nikon Z9 in that regard.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
It takes less than half a second for the EVF to reactivate, and it probably takes a full second to raise my camera to the eye, so the EVF is on by then. I haven't compared the R5 side by side with Sony, Nikon or Panasonic, so I don't know whether the R5 is worse than other brands, or just average.

I'm sure that the EVF startup lag is one of the reasons why most pros still prefer DSLRs. It will be interesting to see whether Canon have solved this issue with the R3, and how well that camera will compare with the Sony a1 and Nikon Z9 in that regard.

This is why I thought hitting a button as you start to raise the camera to your eye would be a workaround (though obviously not ideal). Hit the button and it's on before you can even tell whether it's on or off.

I was wondering, because you referenced periodically hitting the button even while not using the camera, as if it needed more notice to turn on when you needed it.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
This is why I thought hitting a button as you start to raise the camera to your eye would be a workaround (though obviously not ideal). Hit the button and it's on before you can even tell whether it's on or off.

I was wondering, because you referenced periodically hitting the button even while not using the camera, as if it needed more notice to turn on when you needed it.
Yes I need to get into the habit of tapping the button just before I raise the camera. I don't suppose there's much chance that a firmware update could reduce the EVF lag...

Given that the lag problem exists, it's a shame that Canon didn't come up with a better way of getting the EVF into action faster. There are probably numerous design solutions, but the obvious one would be to fit a touch sensor to the shutter button. In such a design, just touching the button would activate the EVF, but half-pressure would be needed to activate the AF. I guess that wouldn't work with gloved hands though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
a R5 with reduced video features and more stable stills performance in all battery level would be a welcome. reduce this price and bump up the R5 version price for all those video bells and whistles. make those pay more for all those extra R&D cost for those high end video features.
there are many Canon stills shooters whom are paying a premium for those video features which they're not using.
Panasonic does that with paid upgrade or releasing a model like S1H. People whom buy the S1R are mostly buying for stills. it has more useful stills functions.
Those video features add little to any extra $ to the total price of the camera.

I just read a story, had to do with the new retro looking Nikon coming out. They tried it before, but made it all stills and no video and that lack of video pretty much sunk the camera was the consensus.

Today, people expect pretty much ANY stills camera to have video too. And, since it doesn't increase the cost that much (mostly same parts, the R&D has been done already for video, it's not a new thing)...they add it on as that it is expected by most people in the market out there.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Dear Canon:

Please stop releasing all this amazing, drool-inducing stuff like R3s and f2 zooms and focus on the replacement for the 5DSr. Please give us a BSI 100mp+ camera, preferably with a detachable, up-flipping viewfinder like the fuji GFx. The VF doesn't HAVE to be removable, but please have expanded viewing options for in-studio and tethered. Let us studio pros give some feedback. We have tons of ideas. The r3 body form was a step in the right direction for sure. Variable low-pass too please?

I LOVE my Canon gear, quite a fanboy, but honestly, the RP should be enough for video people for now. Get out the landscape and product cameras; get out the flagship R1; Don't worry about these camera peasants that want a camera that does stills and video and makes a great quiche and burps the baby. I mean, my car cracks walnuts but that doesn't make it the tool for the job. When I want walnuts, I use a nutcracker, and IF I did video, I would use an entry-level cine camera.

This is such a minor complaint overall that I tried to make this complaint as self-aware as possible, in that Canon is doing great, IMO. It is almost as if Canon has channeled that 1987 energy they had when they introduced the EOS/EF system and changed the camera world forever.

Keep it up Canon, just don't forget the MP monster that keeps getting delayed.

I would sincerely (no smirking here at all) that if that 100+MP sensor camera you are talking about is what you really want....then go get a Fuji GFX100S.

I have the GFX100 in addition to my Canon gear...and it is fscking amazing!! Now that they have put out the GFX100S, at about $6K I believe...it is. steal for what it is.

They have great glass for it too.

So seriously, different tools for different jobs and the GFX100S sounds like it would be exactly right up your alley.
It's a free world and a free market out there and no one is going to stare at you sideways if you have cameras from different brands, you know?

If you're going to go that high on MP, you might as well get a bit of a boost in sensor size too, eh?

I just put together a pano I was experimenting with of an old abandoned school from the GFX....about 7-9 shots I think.
I took to from a decent distance away as that I couldn't go past a fence...yet, I'm able to easily at 100% see the texture of the mortar in between the old bricks...and if I really want to crop in...wow.

I don't use that camera to shoot action scenes tho either....so, a tool for every job.

Hope that helps.

cayenne

Upvote 0