Dear Canon... R5 and R6 Firmware Upgrade and Feature Requests

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Hi,

Thank you to all of the many users who provided feedback and suggestions. It’s now consolidated here below, organized by category.

Please reach out to Canon with the ones in this list that are relevant to you. The more feedback received, the more likely it is that Canon Japan will take note of these suggestions for future updates.

Link to find the Canon Support page for your region:

https://global.canon/en/support/

AUTOFOCUS/MANUAL FOCUS REQUESTS

• Ability to make 1-point AF and Spot AF focus points smaller/more precise (i.e. pinpoint focus).
  • Ability to link metering mode to AF point spot.
  • Ability to decide if users in AI Servo want the shutter half press to return the camera to normal view (currently the only setting) or if they want to re-initiate the auto-focus to confirm more precise focus when magnified.
  • Ability to use the MF peaking and focus guide features while looking at the magnified view.
  • Ability to use MF while in servo mode. Would automatically temporarily switch the camera to one shot while using MF, so menus don't have to be used if in servo mode and the camera needs some help focusing more precisely.
  • Ability to hold the last focus used on a "focus by wire" lens and to retain the Bulb timer setting even when the camera goes to "sleep" between images
  • Improvements to Animal Eye AF speed and accuracy ("deep learning")
  • Ability to recognize more eye AF subjects like bugs/insects and ungulates.

MENU CUSTOMIZATION REQUESTS

• Ability to select and customize which items appear in the Q Menu.
  • Ability to see exact battery percentage (not just bars) on the EVF/LCD without going in the menus.
  • Ability to choose the burst FPS numerically, such as 5FPS, 10FPS, 15FPS, 20FPS, etc.
  • Ability to shoot at fewer than 20 FPS in silent shutter.
  • Ability to set up more than 3 Custom modes.
  • Ability to choose a name for each custom mode and/or add a description.
  • Ability to perform “Batch Function” in the menu to change several options together (For example, Servo AF, Face Tracking, Animal all in 1)
  • Ability to save/backup/restore camera settings to/from memory card
  • Ability to choose max ISO Increments for the Auto ISO range in 1/3 stop increments instead of just full stop increments.
  • Ability to choose between prioritizing clearing the buffer ie I/O speed or improved thermal management by slowing down the I/O speed.
  • Ability to disable at the PHY layer either the CFE or the UHS II card without ejecting.
  • Ability to hide Menu pages or items not used.
  • Ability to edit the My Menu pages in a Canon external app (Windows, Mac, Smartphone) to make the process of moving items from page to page less cumbersome.

BUTTON CUSTOMIZATION REQUESTS

• Ability to assign any function to any button.
  • Ability to program the rate button to other options.
  • Ability to customize the Register/Recall shooting functions list with more options, such as AI Servo.
  • Ability to switch to standby Video Mode settings with a single dedicated button
  • Ability to combine more than 1 function to a button to change several options at once (For example, Servo AF, Face Tracking, Animal all in 1)

NEW FEATURE REQUESTS

• Pixel shift functionality for ultra-high MP stills images. Multi-shot high res mode.
  • Pre-shot buffer, like Olympus Pro Capture
  • Software ND Filter
  • Landscape panoramic mode that assists with taking photos lined up for in-camera or in-software image stitching.
  • Astrophotography features, like star tracking
  • Total blackout of both EVF and screen for timelapse shooters and night shooters. The camera doesn't always need one or the other brightly glowing and wasting power for long exposures or during interval shots. Also, the red light should be included- option to shut it OFF in blackout mode.
  • Add a timer delay function, which can be assigned to most buttons. Pressing that button takes you to the timer delay screen where you can set a delay of 0 (none), 2, 10 seconds or a user specified value. Another line there lets you choose if the timer delay value is cleared (or kept) after each use.
  • Add a video setting for "video movement trigger". If you enable this then you can take a long video on a tripod of a mostly non-moving area, and the video will record if there is any motion (by a moving animal typically) and won't record if there is no motion. A menu line can let the user specify the number of seconds before & after each motion segment where it will also record video.
  • Identify the primary source of overheating so user can adjust shooting style if needed.
  • Provide a warning when camera is getting close to overheating so user can adjust shooting style if needed.
  • Allow hot and stuck pixels to be mapped out of EVF and screen views, not just final images
  • Add an option for DSLR-like display behavior: normally, display and EVF are off until the eye sensor triggers the EVF on. If the eye sensor is not triggered, the display only comes on for requested image review or automatic review if enabled or for menu operation. "live view" shooting on the display can be activated with a configurable button.
  • Ability to configure magnification power during photographing (actually it's x6 and x15). I'm working with telescope (1800mm/3600mm of focal length) and x6 is far to big. I really need x2 or x3 during focusing. For now I'm switching to crop mode which gives me x1.6 on display, but this is not the solution, because I'm loosing a lot of field of view ( witch is very tiny with such a telescope).
  • Ability to lock the magnification during photographing - right now it's resetting to x1 after each picture taken.
  • Ability via a menu option to select IS, IBIS, IS+IBIS when using both RF and EF lenses with IS.
  • Ability to see the COLOUR BALANCE DETAILS in the IMAGE REVIEW INFO display

FLASH REQUESTS

• Ability to set a higher flash synch speed.
  • Focus stack with flash.

BRACKETING REQUESTS

• Ability to set the first initial position for focus bracketing in the middle of bracketed shots instead of starting the bracket at the focused position and increasing focus distance only.
  • Ability to focus on the far distance of a bracket and press a button and then focus on the near distance of a bracket and press the shutter button, then the camera could work out the rest to get the perfect bracket between them.
  • Ability to customize aperture bracketing relative to the current aperture chosen with menu choices: Aperture bracket: on/off, #stops per step: 1:9, #steps wider: 0:9, #steps narrower: 0:9
  • Ability to start a focus bracket with a single shutter release. A single shutter release will start a focus bracket. The user has a menu line slider to specify where the initial focus position is relative to the front and back of the focus range. If set to "front" then it behaves the way the focus bracket currently works. Set in the middle (for example) between the front & back and the camera will make sure that that the initial focal length is in the middle of the focus bracket, etc. The user still sets the number of steps and the distance of each step as it currently exists.
  • Ability to start a focus bracket with two shutter releases: The first shutter release will use the focus distance to set the back focal distance, and the second shutter release uses the focus distance (which was moved closer) to set the front focal distance and start the focus bracket. The user sets the number of steps to use, or the step size to use (but not both, as the camera figures out the other one).
  • Ability to save a Custom Mode with focus bracketing.

VIDEO

• In the R5, ability to enable 1080p 120 fps mode. If you can manage even faster modes, add them too. But 120 fps ought to be doable on the SD card given some of the 4K modes that can go onto that card. (This may or may not apply to the R6 as well, I just haven't paid much attention to it so I don't know.)
  • Move the video crop mode into the same submenu where you can set time lapse and slow mo, rather than one level above them.
  • Ability to save .cr3 raw files from any frame of a 8K Raw video Digital Photo Processor post software.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Hi,

Thank you to all of the many users who provided feedback and suggestions. It’s now consolidated here below, organized by category.

Please reach out to Canon with the ones in this list that are relevant to you. The more feedback received, the more likely it is that Canon Japan will take note of these suggestions for future updates.

Link to find the Canon Support page for your region:

https://global.canon/en/support/

AUTOFOCUS/MANUAL FOCUS REQUESTS

• Ability to make 1-point AF and Spot AF focus points smaller/more precise (i.e. pinpoint focus).
  • Ability to link metering mode to AF point spot.
  • Ability to decide if users in AI Server want the shutter half press to return the camera to normal view (currently the only setting) or if they want to re-initiate the auto-focus to confirm more precise focus when magnified.
  • Ability to use the MF peaking and focus guide features while looking at the magnified view.
  • Ability to use MF while in servo mode. Would automatically temporarily switch the camera to one shot while using MF, so menus don't have to be used if in servo mode and the camera needs some help focusing more precisely.

• Ability to see exact battery percentage (not just bars) on the EVF/LCD without going in the menus.
  • Ability to choose the burst FPS numerically, such as 5FPS, 10FPS, 15FPS, 20FPS, etc.
  • Ability to set up more than 3 Custom modes.
  • Ability to choose a name for each custom mode and/or add a description.
  • Ability to perform “Batch Function” in the menu to change several options together (For example, Servo AF, Face Tracking, Animal all in 1)
  • Ability to save/backup/restore camera settings to/from memory card
  • Ability to choose max ISO Increments for the Auto ISO range in 1/3 stop increments instead of just full stop increments.
  • Ability to choose between prioritizing clearing the buffer ie I/O speed or improved thermal management by slowing down the I/O speed.
  • Ability to disable at the PHY layer either the CFE or the UHS II card without ejecting.
  • Ability to hide Menu pages or items not used.
  • Ability to label each My Menu page.
  • Ability to edit the My Menu pages in a Canon external app (Windows, Mac, Smartphone) to make the process of moving items from page to page less cumbersome.

BUTTON CUSTOMIZATION REQUESTS

• Ability to assign any function to any button.
  • Ability to program the rate button to other options.
  • Ability to customize the Register/Recall shooting functions list with more options, such as AI Servo.
  • Ability to switch to standby Video Mode settings with a single dedicated button
  • Ability to combine more than 1 function to a button to change several options at once (For example, Servo AF, Face Tracking, Animal all in 1)

NEW FEATURE REQUESTS

• Pixel shift functionality for ultra-high MP stills images. Multi-shot high res mode.
  • Pre-shot buffer, like Olympus Pro Capture
  • Software ND Filter
  • Landscape panoramic mode that assists with taking photos lined up for in-camera or in-software image stitching.
  • Astrophotography features, like star tracking
  • Total blackout of both EVF and screen for timelapse shooters and night shooters. The camera doesn't always need one or the other brightly glowing and wasting power for long exposures or during interval shots. Also, the red light should be included- option to shut it OFF in blackout mode.
  • Add a timer delay function, which can be assigned to most buttons. Pressing that button takes you to the timer delay screen where you can set a delay of 0 (none), 2, 10 seconds or a user specified value. Another line there lets you choose if the timer delay value is cleared (or kept) after each use.
  • Add a video setting for "video movement trigger". If you enable this then you can take a long video on a tripod of a mostly non-moving area, and the video will record if there is any motion (by a moving animal typically) and won't record if there is no motion. A menu line can let the user specify the number of seconds before & after each motion segment where it will also record video.
  • Identify the primary source of overheating so user can adjust shooting style if needed.
  • Provide a warning when camera is getting close to overheating so user can adjust shooting style if needed.
  • Allow hot and stuck pixels to be mapped out of EVF and screen views, not just final images
  • Add an option for DSLR-like display behavior: normally, display and EVF are off until the eye sensor triggers the EVF on. If the eye sensor is not triggered, the display only comes on for requested image review or automatic review if enabled or for menu operation. "live view" shooting on the display can be activated with a configurable button.

FLASH REQUESTS

• Ability to set a higher flash synch speed.

BRACKETING REQUESTS

• Ability to set the first initial position for focus bracketing in the middle of bracketed shots instead of starting the bracket at the focused position and increasing focus distance only.
  • Ability to focus on the far distance of a bracket and press a button and then focus on the near distance of a bracket and press the shutter button, then the camera could work out the rest to get the perfect bracket between them.
  • Ability to customize aperture bracketing relative to the current aperture chosen with menu choices: Aperture bracket: on/off, #stops per step: 1:9, #steps wider: 0:9, #steps narrower: 0:9
  • Ability to start a focus bracket with a single shutter release. A single shutter release will start a focus bracket. The user has a menu line slider to specify where the initial focus position is relative to the front and back of the focus range. If set to "front" then it behaves the way the focus bracket currently works. Set in the middle (for example) between the front & back and the camera will make sure that that the initial focal length is in the middle of the focus bracket, etc. The user still sets the number of steps and the distance of each step as it currently exists.
  • Ability to start a focus bracket with two shutter releases: The first shutter release will use the focus distance to set the back focal distance, and the second shutter release uses the focus distance (which was moved closer) to set the front focal distance and start the focus bracket. The user sets the number of steps to use, or the step size to use (but not both, as the camera figures out the other one).

VIDEO

• R5: 1080p 120 fps mode. If you can manage even faster modes, add them too. But 120 fps ought to be doable on the SD card given some of the 4K modes that can go onto that card. (This may or may not apply to the R6 as well, I just haven't paid much attention to it so I don't know.)
  • Put the video crop mode into the same submenu where you can set time lapse and slow mo, rather than one level above them. (Again, apply to the R6 if applicable.)
Can you please add a request for their Digital Photo Processor post software to allow saving to .cr3 raw files from any frame of a 8K Raw video.
Thanks

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
I believe you can already label each My Menu page. The tabs you select are still numbers, but as you highlight each one over on the right your label appears. You can just keep your eye on that and spin the wheel until you find the one you want.
You're right! There is a "Rename tab" option under "Configure" for each page. I will remove this from the list. Whoever added that suggestion will be happy to see this, if they stumble across your post.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
There is a Canon utility for importing their Raw formats into FCP X, but I don’t know what all it supports.
I have not gotten into video on any appreciable scale, so I haven't used any post software for it. But I noticed that Tony Northrup strongly loves Final Cut Pro and that the new Mac 13" laptop with Arm chip drastically increases it's speed. I'm waiting for the Mac 16" version to come out and then I'll get one, and probably use FCP for video (assuming it works with the R5 video files I'd like to get into).

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I use FCP X even though I have the whole Adobe suite, including Premiere. I’m just more used to it, and so I get more done faster. I have used Premiere when I needed more extensive color correction, just because it seemed closer to what I am used to in Photoshop. I’ve not ever shot or worked with 8K, but FCP X zips right along with 4K on my 6-year-old iMac 5K.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Add more (slower) fps rates while in electronic shutter mode!!! Not just 20fps!
It's already on the list.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
+ Ability to configure magnification power during photographing (actually it's x6 and x15). I'm working with telescope (1800mm/3600mm of focal length) and x6 is far to big. I really need x2 or x3 during focusing. For now I'm switching to crop mode witch gives me x1.6 on display, but this is not the solution, because I'm loosing a lot of field of view ( witch is very tiny with such a telescope).

+ Ability to lock the magnification during photographing - actually it's resetting to x1 after each picture taken.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
How about the ability to hold the last focus used on a "focus by wire" lens and to retain the Bulb timer setting even when the camera goes to "sleep" between images?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
+ Ability to configure magnification power during photographing (actually it's x6 and x15). I'm working with telescope (1800mm/3600mm of focal length) and x6 is far to big. I really need x2 or x3 during focusing. For now I'm switching to crop mode witch gives me x1.6 on display, but this is not the solution, because I'm loosing a lot of field of view ( witch is very tiny with such a telescope).

+ Ability to lock the magnification during photographing - actually it's resetting to x1 after each picture taken.
+ The ability to use magnification in L+tracking when the lens is set to MF.

If that's too hard, a few more slots for custom modes, that way I can quickly switch to a mode that does allow magnification in MF.

Upvote 0