Huge vignette when using Sigma Art 35mm f1.4 on Canon EOS R6 is normal?

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
I don't have an R camera, but from everything I've read the Sigma 35 Art should work very well on the R6, so something seems wrong. If you have already turned off the lens corrections which are known issues, it seems very strange.

Any chance you have a filter on the lens and that's causing the vignetting? Or a lens hood which isn't fitting properly?

Are you shooting in raw? If so, can you try a different raw converter?

Are you able to try the lens on another camera body, ideally a DSLR, to see if that makes a difference?

Do you have the latest firmware for the lens?

I assume you've tried other lenses on your camera and they work properly ...?

Upvote 0
Couldn't it be your lighting?
No, it shows everywhere

I don't have an R camera, but from everything I've read the Sigma 35 Art should work very well on the R6, so something seems wrong. If you have already turned off the lens corrections which are known issues, it seems very strange.

Any chance you have a filter on the lens and that's causing the vignetting? Or a lens hood which isn't fitting properly?

Are you shooting in raw? If so, can you try a different raw converter?

Are you able to try the lens on another camera body, ideally a DSLR, to see if that makes a difference?

Do you have the latest firmware for the lens?

I assume you've tried other lenses on your camera and they work properly ...?
No filter or hood on it

Yes, RAW, but that vignette already shows on the screen and not just after on the photo

On my EOS 80D works fine, however it's a crop sensor, I don't have another fullframe to test it

The only thing is missing is the latest firmware, but I'm afraid to buy the sigma dock and the update make no difference.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
The only thing is missing is the latest firmware, but I'm afraid to buy the sigma dock and the update make no difference.
IIRC, I've read the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 has a vignetting problem if the firmware is old and/or the correction is not turned on in the camera.

Check with local photography stores. They might rent the dock, or be willing to upgrade a lens' firmware on the spot for a fee.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
No, it shows everywhere

No filter or hood on it

Yes, RAW, but that vignette already shows on the screen and not just after on the photo

On my EOS 80D works fine, however it's a crop sensor, I don't have another fullframe to test it

Does any of the information on these web pages assist?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
https://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_ff/848-sigma35f14eosff?start=1
Wide open, the lens has huge vignetting of 2.65 ev in the corners. And lenstip describes the vignetting as “monstrous”
Thanks, that was it! Since I've never used the lens on a full-frame camera before I was not aware of the huge vignette at f1.4 and I tought I was some kind of issue related to the R6 or the mount adapter.

Thank you all for the replies

Edit: I was checking the lenstip for the EF 50mm f1.8 STM and they also reported a huge vignette from the lens, however, I'm getting almost no vignette when using it on my R6. So, I wonder if the camera is doing something to remove the vignette and I also wonder if the firmware update on the sigma will solve the problem. I guess I will need to do it to be sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Thanks, that was it! Since I've never used the lens on a full-frame camera before I was not aware of the huge vignette at f1.4 and I tought I was some kind of issue related to the R6 or the mount adapter.

Thank you all for the replies

Edit: I was checking the lenstip for the EF 50mm f1.8 STM and they also reported a huge vignette from the lens, however, I'm getting almost no vignette when using it on my R6. So, I wonder if the camera is doing something to remove the vignette and I also wonder if the firmware update on the sigma will solve the problem. I guess I will need to do it to be sure.
For whatever it may be worth for comparison, here are two shots taken with my Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art on a 6DII, both at f/1.4, to try to show the vignetting I see with my lens. Automatic lighting optimiser was off and all lens corrections were off except chromatic abberation correction. (Those are my usual settings.) That said, I took the shots in raw, so i don't think the lens correction settings are relevant. The shots were run through lightroom with default settings and no lens profile. I admit the photos weren't taken under ideal testing conditions (they were taken of a wall in a not particuarly well lit room which has a standard LED lightbulb in light fitting as its only light source).

The Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art is probably my favourite lens I own, and for my part I've never found the vignette a problem in real life shooting. Let us know how you go!

Attachments

• IMG_3123.jpg
    IMG_3123.jpg
    679.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3124.jpg
    IMG_3124.jpg
    682.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sigma replied to me that this is not normal, but they asked me to send them the lens so they can take a look. However I'm willing to believe that the firmware update will "solve" the problem. I think I will give it a try. I will buy the sigma dock and test it.

Example on how it's operating now:

f1.4 / f4.0 / f7.1

Attachments

• AQ8A7662.JPG
    AQ8A7662.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 63
  • AQ8A7663.JPG
    AQ8A7663.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 67
  • AQ8A7665.JPG
    AQ8A7665.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 0
I bought my Canon R6 thinking that all my lenses would work correctly on it using the adapter, but this is not the case for the Sigma Art 35mm. After already fixing known issues (disabling lens correction) a big vignette that I show below is left. I wonder if this is normal, because if it is, I won't be able to use this lens on this camera.

View attachment 199131
I was looking a sigma Zoom for a Canon R 5 -it was a Canon EF Mount. Some EF lenses are for Compact Sensors only- You need to check it before hand. Only full Fram Sigma lenses work.

Upvote 0