Peter McKinnon shows off the Canon EOS R3

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Peter McKinnon has posted a video showing a couple of Canon EOS R3’s in his possession. He is not allowed to post and videos or photographs taken from the camera as of yet, but he does give a rundown of some of the features and size comparisons between the EOS R3 and EOS-1D X Mark III and EOS R5.
There’s a cringeworthy Squarespace plug in the middle of the video, but other than that, it should give you a bit of insight into the R3 and how it may handle.

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user
Jan 29, 2011
For those that want to save 8 minutes of their lives and aren’t McKinnon fans, nothing new in the video, he isn’t allowed to mention anything we don’t already know and he isn’t allowed to show stills or video from it yet.

It’s really just a video saying he has one, well actually he has two, but that’s what happens when you have nearly 6 million subscribers.

• Angry
Reactions: 20 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
For those that want to save 8 minutes of their lives and aren’t McKinnon fans, nothing new in the video, he isn’t allowed to mention anything we don’t already know and he isn’t allowed to show stills or video from it yet.

It’s really just a video saying he has one, well actually he has two, but that’s what happens when you have nearly 6 million subscribers.
Atleast we get side by side comparison with 1Dx series, also so far no one has talked about the new hotshoe or shown any pictures of hotshoe without the cover.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Atleast we get side by side comparison with 1Dx series, also so far no one has talked about the new hotshoe or shown any pictures of hotshoe without the cover.
We have posted size comparisons, I did it within hours of the first images of the R3. There have also been images of the hotshoe in threads here from the Olympic cameras.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
He is also asking for feedback on what aspects to review.
I love when reviewers do that instead of just testing things the way that they would use it.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
He is also asking for feedback on what aspects to review.
I love when reviewers do that instead of just testing things the way that they would use it.
Ok maybe I am more cynical than most but he will say what he wants and Canon allows him to and will be asked so many questions he can pick one that he is answering anyway. It is just a way for Canon to gauge engagement and interest and I don’t buy into it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I had not heard the audible electronic shutter so that was the only new data point from the video for me.
I was always surprised the R5 didn't have this as the R5 had the speaker and memo system already, didn't seem like it would be hard to make it have the option to make some noise :unsure:

While he showed the hotshoe, he didn't show the inside of it, where you can see some sort of cable plug: 1628611611673.png
(Shared this on the Olympic threads from "georgedeswijzen", an olympics photographer on Instagram)

From McKinnon's higher-res view of the top of the hotshoe, It does look like there are three pin holes for some sort of securing mechanism to fit into. Interested to see what Canon has planned for it.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

adigoks

EOS 750D
Jul 12, 2020
what i can take from his video

1. sound feedback in electronic shutter mode
2. same drive speed in mechanical shutter as R5 & R6
3. high temperature warning sticker just like R5 & R6. maybe there's some video mode got restricted by overheat?
4. he said he got 3 weeks to play with. so early september release date.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

JamesG25

EOS R3 (ordered), R5 , R and RP
Jul 31, 2021
I think we did learn ( or get some new feeling for) the following features:

1. I love that R3 has option for an audible sound in Electronic shutter. Wish they would include in R5.

2. The mechanical shutter sounds about same FPS as R5 so probably 12 FPS ( R1 will have fastest mechanical and electrical shutter)

3. Sounds like the eye controlled auto focus is more of a move the “area of focus” vs move the actual point of focus. For the intended use of this camera that should work eg. I want you to focus on that player, car, bird etc

4. Camera is light. I wonder if will be lighter than a gripped R5

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Ok maybe I am more cynical than most but he will say what he wants and Canon allows him to and will be asked so many questions he can pick one that he is answering anyway. It is just a way for Canon to gauge engagement and interest and I don’t buy into it.
Canon needs no tool for measuring engagement. Those are for up and coming manufacturers. Maybe. Sales numbers are the true measurement of engagement. The bottom line. Bla bla bla does not equal sales. Not the same as the recording industry. Consumer purchasing habits of electronics are quite different than listening to music etc. These cameras require a lens. Optimally a native one. If engagement on a blog/rumor site etc. was an indication of sales, Sony would have long surpassed the #1 market share. As it is, blog viewership didn't make a dent in Canon's #1 share spot in practically a decade. Familiarity and expectations of a brand product that has been around for 84 years. They didn't purchase another brands product and build off of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0