Peter McKinnon shows off the Canon EOS R3

Jan 29, 2011
Canon needs no tool for measuring engagement. Those are for up and coming manufacturers. Maybe. Sales numbers are the true measurement of engagement. The bottom line. Bla bla bla does not equal sales. Not the same as the recording industry. Consumer purchasing habits of electronics are quite different than listening to music etc. If engagement on a blog was an indication of sales, Sony would have long surpassed the #1 market share. As it is, blog viewership didn't make a dent in Canon's #1 share spot in practically a decade.
It’s just another data point. All corporations love data.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Size is a big deal; I loved the 1D4 in that regard and half the weight is an even bigger deal. My smallish male hands struggled a bit with reach on the 1DX2 and so I wonder what the R1 will be like since no way would I go for 24 MPs. My 1DX2 is gone with no regrets other than the big loss in $$. The R1 will have to have more magic than the R3 to woo me.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I want! Don't know if I should buy LP-E19 batteries now in anticipation, or hold off for release and see if they release an updated battery like they did with the LP-E6N for the LP-E6
Canon stated, "Power will be delivered by the same Canon LP-E19 battery pack that powers the EOS-1D X Mark III."

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

JamesG25

EOS R3 (ordered), R5 , R and RP
Jul 31, 2021
"We have like three weeks to make a cool video with the R3"
So the launch is ether in three weeks, or just after that as he has to return in then.
He says he has had it a couple of days. Canon will probably want to see what video he has made and include it in their launch event, like they did for R5. I am thinking that earliest official announcement date is something like 7th September and then available for shipping at end of September. That would give time to release with firmware 1.0.1 with any major operational issues that were found at olympics fixed.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
"cringeworthy Squarespace plug"

More like a totally cringeworthy video altogether.

A boring wannabe Jared Polin mimic waving arms about and waffling... revealing nothing that we didn't know already.

Can't wait for a thorough, interesting and intelligent video from Gordon Laing...
I believe Gordon already made a video on this.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I believe Gordon already made a video on this.
Indeed, and here it is:

The review was published back in June, but at the moment it only covers the basic control layout and a few first impressions. No doubt Gordon has already completed a full field test by now, although it isn't yet published, presumably due to NDAs.

I often consider that there are 3 essentials to be fulfilled prior to purchasing any camera:
1) Read the full review by Gordon, and/or watch his video review.
2) Download a copy of the instruction manual and read it thoroughly.
3) Speak to my bank manager.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I wonder if he can answer the question in ES mode can you only do 30fps or can you slow it down to 20fps
I asked that in the YT comments and see that others did too. Although by the time he is allowed to release a video about the camera we will have the official announcement. Although, the official announcement probably won't mention that specifically but I'm sure DPR and others will mention it when review embargo lifts.

Upvote 0

Alan B

1DX Mark III
Feb 2, 2021
At least we got to see the LCD screen on this time!. Here's a pic I created from the footage

51370297153_0fde548a26_o.jpg

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
"cringeworthy Squarespace plug"

More like a totally cringeworthy video altogether.

A boring wannabe Jared Polin mimic waving arms about and waffling... revealing nothing that we didn't know already.

Can't wait for a thorough, interesting and intelligent video from Gordon Laing...
Er, no. McKinnon burst through the Polin popularity stakes years ago! Polin has 1.3 million subscribers McKinnon nearly 6 million.

Polin has been doing the YouTube thing a lot longer but is nowhere near as successful with 224 million total views to McKinnons 456 million in around a third the time of Polin.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

st jack photography

..a shuttered lens, backwards viewing backwards..
I want it. I had high megapixel(5DSr), and I don't want that. The cons of high MP aren't worth the pros for me. I want FPS for street shooting, and will give up MP for that. I still have a friend working with a 5d Classic. IMO 20MP is more than enough for most applications.
If the r5 is $3899, then this R3 will be at least $4899, and $5499 is a possibility.
But think of what the r1 will be: definitely more FPS, if not MP too. Definitely BSI. My guess is an R1 will be 30 to 45mp and 40 to 60 FPS. $6899. Wild speculation.
At any rate, I am still interested in the R3 and selling my other bodies.

Upvote 0