Peter McKinnon shows off the Canon EOS R3

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Everyone has different styles I guess. I enjoy his videos. I agree we didn't learn much (except that you can have fake shutter sounds in ES which is nice) but he likely is restrained from revealing any info right now due to his NDA.
Yeah I'm sure to some extent it's a generational thing too. I'm 70, so I find a lot of the jabbering narcissist influencers a pain in the butt.
Younger people probably find Gordon Laing a bit boring, but I find his style excellent.
There are actually a lot of really good video reviews and tutorials, from various producers, in styles to suit all.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Actually we did learn some thing new. Ether the anounce date or the release date is in 3 weeks because that is when PM has to have the video done and the embargo will lift.
That’s not what he said and what you are concluding from it is an assumption. What he said was “I got it like two days ago, I have it for three weeks to make some videos with”.

So if he gives them back in three weeks and delivers the videos then how long do you think marketing will want them before approving them? Maybe he has to give the cameras back in three weeks but deliver the edited videos in four or five weeks, or two months...

All we know from the comment is he has had them for ‘like’ two days, and he has them for three weeks, the only inference you can make is there will be no release for at least three weeks assuming Canon want to wait for PM’s video, nothing more.

As others have said though, the electronic shutter can be made to fake a sound, which in my ignorance I thought every MILC could! And the hotshoe has three mounting pin holes rather than one. So nothing of real consequence.

Upvote 0
That’s not what he said and what you are concluding from it is an assumption. What he said was “I got it like two days ago, I have it for three weeks to make some videos with”.

So if he gives them back in three weeks and delivers the videos then how long do you think marketing will want them before approving them? Maybe he has to give the cameras back in three weeks but deliver the edited videos in four or five weeks, or two months...

All we know from the comment is he has had them for ‘like’ two days, and he has them for three weeks, the only inference you can make is there will be no release for at least three weeks assuming Canon want to wait for PM’s video, nothing more.

As others have said though, the electronic shutter can be made to fake a sound, which in my ignorance I thought every MILC could! And the hotshoe has three mounting pin holes rather than one. So nothing of real consequence.
While I agree it's likely more than three weeks, I don't think it'll be much more. This feels different than the R5 launch. We didn't know Peter had an R5 (for example) before the launch... or anyone else really. I would think he would edit before he turned the cameras back in in case had to re-shoot something.... I'm not a videographer though, so I can't be sure.

Upvote 0

he has the same disclaimers as all the sony guys in that they get free equipment to test but they don't have the companies vet their videos.

at least canon guys now get equipment. canon made the marketing mistake of focusing on the traditional people. people like the press photographers, established organizations like getty, etc. whereas sony targeted the influencers and people on youtube and instagram. sony was smart in blanketing youtubers with equipment and now canon is trying to catch up.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
he has the same disclaimers as all the sony guys in that they get free equipment to test but they don't have the companies vet their videos.

at least canon guys now get equipment. canon made the marketing mistake of focusing on the traditional people. people like the press photographers, established organizations like getty, etc. whereas sony targeted the influencers and people on youtube and instagram. sony was smart in blanketing youtubers with equipment and now canon is trying to catch up.
No, for the R5 release Canon used his video as part of the release program, it was a Canon published video, they have complete editorial control over those.

Videos he releases can say what he wants, videos Canon host, pay for, and release he can't.

See the difference below? One is hosted by Canon.

Upvote 0
No, for the R5 release Canon used his video as part of the release program, it was a Canon published video, they have complete editorial control over those.

Videos he releases can say what he wants, videos Canon host, pay for, and release he can't.

See the difference below? One is hosted by Canon.

I think you proved my point. He has always been upfront. And Canon does not have control over non Canon sponsored videos. I they don't control what he says

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I think you proved my point. He has always been upfront. And Canon does not have control over non Canon sponsored videos. I they don't control what he says
I think you are missing my point. In the context of the conversation, he has three weeks to make videos for Canon (not with Canon equipment) then the implication, though not mine, was that those videos were going to be used by Canon as part of the release of the R3. If that is the scenario being talked about he does not have free rein, he is being paid by Canon and he does not have editorial control, the customer, Canon, does.

If he is going to release the videos on his channel then yes, within the bounds of good business sense and relationships, he can say what he wants. But that isn't what we were talking about, we were talking about a time limit with a preposition that this videos were for Canon. After all, he wouldn't have time limit on a personal video release.

However my point was if that is the case you still can't draw release date information from him having the cameras 'for three weeks to make videos', it is simply too vague. We don't know if the videos are for his channel or the Canon channel, we don't know if he has to return the cameras in three weeks so they can go to other testers pre release, we don't know anything more about a release date from what was said!

But we do know that he does not have editorial control over commissioned works by Canon, only his own channel output, they are different and we don't know which he is shooting for or indeed if he is shooting for both (most likely).

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
The audible signal for electronic shutter would be welcome in a firmware update for R5.

I'd prefer a haptic/tactile shutter indicator for quiet shooting but still perceptible to the shooter. I have a pending patent application on that concept so I have more than the typical desire to see this feature adopted.
Yes, please. I am really hoping Canon will bring this option to the R5 soon. It is needed for multiple reasons. That is why other manufactures have it and Canon is now putting it on the R3.

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
No, if you need 45mp the R3 doesn’t cut it. The R3 and Z9 are completely different tools aimed at different markets and, I’m sure, price points.

The R3 and Z9 are no similar than the R5 and Z9, indeed specs wise the last two make a much better match.
What are the different markets; R3 vs Z9? Just a curious mind wanting to know.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
What were the different markets for the 1D and 1DS? There was enough of a market to support a two camera 1 series range for a decade, maybe Canon, who along with all the other main camera brands have said they see future profitability in fewer more expensive bodies, now see a future with a two range 'pro' series again.

Maybe the R3 is aimed at the R1 wannabes who can't afford the R1, maybe there are enough people happy with lower resolution but want high end durability and connectivity features that the 1 series currently has. But Canon, Nikon and Sony also see an even higher market, the rarified domain of wealthy retired and semi retired birders who demand the highest mp and feature sets, higher end wedding shooters and commercial photographers that like the portability and lens choices a 135 format system gives them.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Yeah I'm sure to some extent it's a generational thing too. I'm 70, so I find a lot of the jabbering narcissist influencers a pain in the butt.
Younger people probably find Gordon Laing a bit boring, but I find his style excellent.
There are actually a lot of really good video reviews and tutorials, from various producers, in styles to suit all.
Chill, you sound like a bitter old man.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Despite the ‘threats’ from forum members and the occasional high-profile photographer who switches systems, jumping from one brand to another isn’t common. There’s an inertial barrier to learning something new, and a cost barrier as well.

These top-shelf bodies are unlikely to be purchased by first-time ILC buyers.

So for the most part, market for the R3 comprises current Canon users (pro DSLR / enthusiast MILC) and the market for the Z9 comprises current Nikon users (pro DSLR / enthusiast MILC). Which, if you think about it, makes comparing the two cameras practically irrelevant.

Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
That wasn’t the point, the point was comparing the Z9 to the R3 is irrelevant as they are not competing models. Saying “the Z9 blows away the R3“ is as moronic as saying the “the R5 blows away the Z fc”
No it's not. When someone goes to a camera store after the first of the year they'll ask "what's the best mirrorless Canon has to buy right now and what's the best mirrorless Nikon has right now." Will they give a crap when the salesman says the R3 is not a "flagship?"

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
No it's not. When someone goes to a camera store after the first of the year they'll ask "what's the best mirrorless Canon has to buy right now and what's the best mirrorless Nikon has right now." Will they give a crap when the salesman says the R3 is not a "flagship?"
Unless they go to B&H, Adorama, or one of the few and rapidly vanishing high-end camera stores, they’re unlikely to find either model in a camera store, or a salesperson who can offer advice beyond, ‘Well, this one costs $2499 and this one costs $2299.’

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I'd think the number of people that do that are in the low teens worldwide! Any good salesman would steer them into a Leica anyway...

But seriously, people that can do that and are interested in taking photos invariably rely on their last guide in Kenya, or the people who were photographing the penguins on their last Antarctic trip, not some nobody salesman in the 'local' camera store. That simply isn't how the vast majority of this small number of high end cameras are sold.

Upvote 0
I think you are missing my point. In the context of the conversation, he has three weeks to make videos for Canon (not with Canon equipment) then the implication, though not mine, was that those videos were going to be used by Canon as part of the release of the R3. If that is the scenario being talked about he does not have free rein, he is being paid by Canon and he does not have editorial control, the customer, Canon, does.

If he is going to release the videos on his channel then yes, within the bounds of good business sense and relationships, he can say what he wants. But that isn't what we were talking about, we were talking about a time limit with a preposition that this videos were for Canon. After all, he wouldn't have time limit on a personal video release.

However my point was if that is the case you still can't draw release date information from him having the cameras 'for three weeks to make videos', it is simply too vague. We don't know if the videos are for his channel or the Canon channel, we don't know if he has to return the cameras in three weeks so they can go to other testers pre release, we don't know anything more about a release date from what was said!

But we do know that he does not have editorial control over commissioned works by Canon, only his own channel output, they are different and we don't know which he is shooting for or indeed if he is shooting for both (most likely).
You have no idea whether he is making videos for Canon or not. He has the equipment on loan for 3 weeks is all we know

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
You have no idea whether he is making videos for Canon or not. He has the equipment on loan for 3 weeks is all we know
That was exactly my point! We know virtually nothing new from the video!

It helps if you read the preceding comments before picking an argument with the person who agrees with you!

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
That was exactly my point! We know virtually nothing new from the video!

It helps if you read the preceding comments before picking an argument with the person who agrees with you!
How on earth does that help? I mean, how is someone really supposed to pick an argument if they realise the other person already agrees with them?
;)

• Haha
Upvote 0