The Canon EOS R3 will be $5999 USD

Maybe the R3 actually has a 96 Mp Quad Bayer sensor? So far we have seen only results from the pixel-binned 24 Mp mode. The possibility for 96 M photos would really be the mentioned "trick". But well, as it is not practical to have Quad Bayer with an effective AA filter, this is not probable, Moiré would be a huge problem. Maybe the R1 will have that, though, and does some clever tricks to overcome Moiré in the pixel binned lower resolution file. Or even be able to do real time high quality time sampling.

Upvote 0
It appears, jDavis, that you have a great deal of anger towards Canon, for whatever reason and it appears they have really gotten under your skin. You might want to stay off of social media for awhile, at least until the dust settles on the R3 announcement. BTW, I never mentioned anything about Chip shortages.
Oh, you mean the R3 announcement coming tomorrow? The same day Apple announce their new iPhones? Thats just proves how inept Canon has become. What company in their right mind announces anything the same day Apple announces their new iPhones? lol. Even the camera websites, YouTube channels and blogs will be covering the new photo and video features on the new iPhones. The R3 will get ZERO coverage tomorrow.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Seems like I have seen this prophecy before….yet Canon is still doing well.
That was beck before Canon got in the $6k camera and $3k lens MILC game. They already lost me as a loyal 17 year customer a few weeks back. Sold my R6, RP and lenses. I was tired of their absurdly priced cameras and lenses and their refusal to allow 3rd party lens makers like Sigma and Tamron to come in and make affordable glass you don't have to mortgage your home to get. I now have plenty of great choices to cover any focal length at multiple price points on Sony's E mount, with some great new releases coming up from Sigma and Tamron that the RF mount will never see.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Seems lik
That was beck before Canon got in the $6k camera and $3k lens MILC game. They already lost me as a loyal 17 year customer a few weeks back. Sold my R6, RP and lenses. I was tired of their absurdly priced cameras and lenses and their refusal to allow 3rd party lens makers like Sigma and Tamron to come in and make affordable glass you don't have to mortgage your home to get. I now have plenty of great choices to cover any focal length at multiple price points on Sony's E mount, with some great new releases coming up from Sigma and Tamron that the RF mount will never see.
Seems like you've solved all of your problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Ever think that Canon believes that their adapted EF lens range is the middle ground?
Almost all the RF lens range expand the features from their EF counterparts so could be considered a step above the EF version in the market
Right. Because paying $4k-$6k for a brand new mirrorless camera and having to spend another $100 on an adapter (which you can't even buy right now) and putting on a 20 year old lens designed for film cameras is sure appealing isn't it?

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Yet I personally own more RF lenses (already) than I ever did EF lenses even though I’ve used Canon my whole life.

I’m sorry but what YOU believe or what works for YOU personally doesn’t translate into what works for everyone, so while you rationale might justify your own position it is meaningless for anyone else outside the group of one.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
.... I now have plenty of great choices to cover any focal length at multiple price points on Sony's E mount, with some great new releases coming up from Sigma and Tamron that the RF mount will never see.
I knew this was going to get around to some variation of "gonna go buy a Sony" eventually. In this case it's the "I already did so but I'm going to go on a Canon forum anyway" variant.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Lenses that only work on the RF mount would be a big downside for me, because my backup camera, that I would take on every journey, would still be an EF camera and I can't take RF lenses AND EF lenses on economy class flight that only allows 23+6 kilos of luggage. I am already restricted to only fly to warm destinations, because for a cold destination those luggage restrictions would be too tight.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
You know nothing, Goldwing Snow.

Wait. Stop. A 'PRO' does not need 1dx or such. A huge amount of 'pro' work is headshots, product shots, advertising, medical, photos for website etc etc etc. The cameras you think a PRO needs is misguided. Just because a camera is a flagship does not make it the choice of 'pro' who need to look at ROI, mpx etc. R1/3 is for high-end photojournalists, wildlife and sports shooters. These cameras are designed for them, as for them not missing a shot is paramount.
As a professional sports photographer and manager with one of the largest sports agencies in the world, I disagree with your statement

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
With about 20 years between these technologies I think anyone who used the original is going to be impressed with the difference. The question is will it be something that we find we use regularly or is it just a cool thing that you play with when you get the camera and rarely use afterwards. I'm hopeful, but tracking a pupil that tends to move around as you are composing the shot, checking settings and histograms as well as looking at the main subject may be a difficult thing to make work well for anything but static subjects. I definitely want to see it in action.
According to the leaked press release, the feature is more about setting the initial focus point, but does not continue to follow your eye after the initial acquisition of focus. After the initial focus point is set, tracking works as well (or poorly) as it did before. At least that's what it sounds like:

"Featuring a new 5.76-million-dot and 120fps blackout-free1 Electronic Viewfinder, the EOS R3 camera will provide photographers with the ability to select the initial area for AF tracking by simply looking directly at the viewfinder location where they want to begin AF. With Eye input AF2 and Servo AF activated, the camera will focus on and track moving subjects at that location in the frame. When Face Detect + Tracking is active, the camera will continue to follow moving subjects around the entire active AF area."

1 Blackout(s) may occur in some cases; such as when the built-in memory is full or when the flash battery is fully recharged after the battery ran out during continuous shooting.

2 Effectiveness varies depending on the subject. In some cases, dogs, cats or birds may not be detected, while some animals other than dogs, cats or birds may be detected.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Maybe the R3 actually has a 96 Mp Quad Bayer sensor? So far we have seen only results from the pixel-binned 24 Mp mode. The possibility for 96 M photos would really be the mentioned "trick". But well, as it is not practical to have Quad Bayer with an effective AA filter, this is not probable, Moiré would be a huge problem. Maybe the R1 will have that, though, and does some clever tricks to overcome Moiré in the pixel binned lower resolution file. Or even be able to do real time high quality time sampling.
Unfortunately, there has still been no mention of anything that would pass for a resolution trick in the press release, so we may never know what the trick was supposed to be.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
So the camera will give us 6K RAW video and not just 4K downsampled from 6K? That is the first time I read that news. 6K RAW means that there is some room for zooming and cropping a 4K video out of the 6K.
From the leaked news release:
"The EOS R3 camera doesn’t just capture spectacular still images, it also packs impressive video specs as well. The camera is capable of shooting 6K 60p RAW and 4K 120p 10-bit uncropped video with Canon Log 3 support, in addition to the possibility for oversampled 4K and RAW movie internal recording. Canon Log 3, which is frequently used in cinema production, helps to reduce the possibility of highlight blowouts. What’s more, the features such as industry standard BT.709, BT.2020 color gamuts, and cinema gamut help to maintain color and tonal consistency. Coordinated 5-axis IBIS helps to correct operator motion or shaking providing dependent video capturing even when using a lens without built-in Optical IS."

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Yes, that was the press release where I first read about the 6K. I did not expect that they really give us 6K RAW, as I did not know that 6K exists as a standard. I expected 4K downsampled from 6K and that was what most video shooters expected.

6K really is a great compromise between 4K and 6K. So you can choose if you want full frame 4K, APS-C 4K or anything in between. 6K also gives you the option of digital image stabilization in post without sacrifizing sharpness at 4K.

Upvote 0
Right. Because paying $4k-$6k for a brand new mirrorless camera and having to spend another $100 on an adapter (which you can't even buy right now) and putting on a 20 year old lens designed for film cameras is sure appealing isn't it?
They are absolutely appealing! Not sure where your difficulty is. Canon has made the transition easy for those with existing glass (as I had and still have some).
Some lenses are old but a lot are younger then 20 years old especially for the alternatives to current RF lenses.
More EF lenses are available on the second hand market at an even cheaper price as well with people moving to RF.
If you don't like the adapter then pretend that it is welded on and have one for each EF lens. Yes, they can be hard to find in some markets but you asked for a mid range option and then complain that the mid range option is either an old design or that you have to spend USD100 for an adapter.
Using the ND/CPL adapter actually makes the filters cheaper eg for the 11-24mm/4 or EF8-15mm lens than for the external options.
I won't be getting the RF100mm macro or the RF14-35mm/4 lens because the adapted EF version are a great price and are great quality.
It will be a long time before the EF8-15mm/4 is available in RF so my second hand version is perfect for the limited times I use it.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
The EF 85mm f/1.4 still seems like a better option than the RF 85mm f/1.2, because it is half the price and it is even stabilized without IBIS, That's important for people who have an RP or and EF camera without IBIS as a backup. Of course if money is not an problem, your backup camera might also have IBIS and you might also want to pay twice the price for f/1.2 instead of f/1.4.

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
They are absolutely appealing! Not sure where your difficulty is. Canon has made the transition easy for those with existing glass (as I had and still have some).
Some lenses are old but a lot are younger then 20 years old especially for the alternatives to current RF lenses.
More EF lenses are available on the second hand market at an even cheaper price as well with people moving to RF.
If you don't like the adapter then pretend that it is welded on and have one for each EF lens. Yes, they can be hard to find in some markets but you asked for a mid range option and then complain that the mid range option is either an old design or that you have to spend USD100 for an adapter.
Using the ND/CPL adapter actually makes the filters cheaper eg for the 11-24mm/4 or EF8-15mm lens than for the external options.
I won't be getting the RF100mm macro or the RF14-35mm/4 lens because the adapted EF version are a great price and are great quality.
It will be a long time before the EF8-15mm/4 is available in RF so my second hand version is perfect for the limited times I use it.
I originally got a vello adapter while waiting for the canon. It works just fine.

Upvote 0
According to the leaked press release, the feature is more about setting the initial focus point, but does not continue to follow your eye after the initial acquisition of focus. After the initial focus point is set, tracking works as well (or poorly) as it did before. At least that's what it sounds like:

"Featuring a new 5.76-million-dot and 120fps blackout-free1 Electronic Viewfinder, the EOS R3 camera will provide photographers with the ability to select the initial area for AF tracking by simply looking directly at the viewfinder location where they want to begin AF. With Eye input AF2 and Servo AF activated, the camera will focus on and track moving subjects at that location in the frame. When Face Detect + Tracking is active, the camera will continue to follow moving subjects around the entire active AF area."

1 Blackout(s) may occur in some cases; such as when the built-in memory is full or when the flash battery is fully recharged after the battery ran out during continuous shooting.

2 Effectiveness varies depending on the subject. In some cases, dogs, cats or birds may not be detected, while some animals other than dogs, cats or birds may be detected.

Well, that sounds actually quite useful. Especially since on the R5 I can't choose a single point or group of points (other than center) for object tracking like I can on the A7RIV. This might be just as good or better if it works well since then I don't have to move a point around to tell it what to track when animals and birds are deep in a tree or bush. I would still like for the R5 to update so that I can use any of the modes with the object tracking since it will never have this feature.

Upvote 0