Here is the official Canon USA press release for the Canon EOS R3

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Interesting. It says 24.1 MP and also 6k raw. That would suggest that it doesn't do DCI as that would need 25.16 MP. Very un-Canonlike. The same math holds for 3:2 oversampled 4k, so maybe no DCI anywhere. Sony doesn't go there, so we don't need to either?? Tomorrow will be interesting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Interesting. It says 24.1 MP and also 6k raw. That would suggest that it doesn't do DCI as that would need 25.16 MP. Very un-Canonlike. The same math holds for 3:2 oversampled 4k, so maybe no DCI anywhere. Sony doesn't go there, so we don't need to either?? Tomorrow will be interesting.
i think some of the sensors are slightly more MP but only use a specified amount. The EOS R5 has a 47.1MP sensor but only uses 45 when taking photos.

Upvote 0
The only thing the A1 has over the R3 is resolution. Otherwise the A1 just more expensive...and you would have to add the battery grip price, and factor in the high price of the CF Express Type A cards that the A1 uses. And neither the A1 or the A9II are nearly as rugged as the R3...you if one used the Sony you may have to factor in repair or replacement costs.

With the A9II, you again have to add $400 for the battery grip, and once again you have less ruggedness and reliability. And if it matters, the R3 has 30 fps vs 20 fps for A9II, and the R3 has much better video capabilities than the A9II.

Personally, I'll take a true pro body like the R3 over either the A1 or the A9II.
I agree with your assessment assuming the R3‘s AF is on par with the A1. I sure hope this is the case. In the winter I shoot downhill ski racing which demands top notch AF performance and this is where the R5 though a very capable camera I shoot with 2 of them last ski season and it did struggle sometimes picking up ski racers going top speed towards me.

I jumped ship from Sony a while back when I read an interview from one of Sony’s top executives and he mentioned that Sony had no plans on releasing a “full” size pro body and wanted to stick with there small form factor. This was before the A1 was announced yet when it was it confirmed what the Sony exec said. Keep the body small.

Keeping my fingers crossed on the R3.

Upvote 0
Also pretty sure 2 e6nh batteries last longer than 1 e19. The integrated grip is more ergos than anything else. You will end up needing more than 1 battery.
The LP-E19 has 27.5Whr capacity compared to 2 x E6NH = 30.6Whr capacity so ~10% less capacity
Canon hasn't updated the e19 like E6->E6N->E6H
The 10.2v voltage in the LP-E19 battery makes a difference to the 7.2v LP-E6NH batteries. The higher voltage should drive the AF faster especially on the big whites.
Others will probably comment on other benefits for the higher voltage

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
The announcement implies the AF is on par with the R5. Unless the AF is a huge jump up, this camera may be a very hard sell. Same Digic X processor as the R5. With half the MP of the Sony A1 and half the VF resolution of the Sony A1, it faces tough competition.
I thought all of the language was pretty low key, not really throwing around the marketing buzz words we were accustomed to seeing with the R5: "revolutionary" and "game changer". On the one hand we have a pretty dry press release from Canon USA, and on the other we have Canon Europe claiming this is the most exciting announcement of the year.

The article says: "Leveraging technology and performance feedback from the popular EOS R5 and EOS R6 cameras, the EOS R3 uses Deep-Learning technology to further enhance eye and body detection for even better performance during portrait and action-type shooting."

There is a big spectrum of what "Further enhance" and "even better" could mean, from incremental and small to substantially better. Hopefully initial reviews will help us determine the extent of the improvements tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
The LP-E19 has 27.5Whr capacity compared to 2 x E6NH = 30.6Whr capacity so ~10% less capacity
Canon hasn't updated the e19 like E6->E6N->E6H
The 10.2v voltage in the LP-E19 battery makes a difference to the 7.2v LP-E6NH batteries. The higher voltage should drive the AF faster especially on the big whites.
Others will probably comment on other benefits for the higher voltage
I'm just wondering how much real-world battery life improvements we can expect to see in the R3 if the LP-E19 is powering all of the new R3 speedy tech plus driving fast AF plus now powering hot shoe accessories, etc. Thank goodness for USB charging because otherwise I'd have to get half a dozen spare LP-E19 batteries.

Upvote 0
If I click your name will it take me to a website to buy the a9?
Just wondering where to go to get one of these. That is why I follow Canon sites.
And under his name it states: "I'm new here".
It's like the bully in grade school that laughs at everyone to make himself feel better and wonders why nobody likes him.

Go find another playground if all you came here for was "Because I wanted to see the R3 announcement and get a chuckle at its absurd $6k price." Try SARs.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
To be honest, looking at the R3, I can't help but wonder if the R3 was built from the start as an olive branch to the professionals who *need* the 1-series build and responsiveness, but don't need the additional features that are gonna push the R1 to $8,000.

Global shutter and QPAF will be no-doubt incredible, and the hearsay humors of 84/21mp resolution switching are compelling, but the majority of sports/news/professionals who count on the 1-series have never really needed flashy features, they just need a camera that always works.

In all reality, I'm already perfectly happy with what the R5's electronic shutter pulls off when I'm shooting sports, and the R3 is significantly going to improve on that. With that in mind, I'll view getting the R3 as saving the $2000 or more that the R1 will cost over it, and put that money into an RF lens.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
The price is reflective of the customer base they are selling to and totally ignoring competition. We have a supply chain shortage and enough folks who won't touch anything else, don't want to change systems, head in the sand, whatever other reasons for Canon to sell as many as they are able to make for the time being. I will buy this camera because I still own most of my RF line up and I have GAS issues, but unless it has some GODLY AF eye control etc, I do not see how it is worth 6 grand by any means. Like I have posted before, my R5, A1 both take grips and haven't had issues getting wet with them. Also pretty sure 2 e6nh batteries last longer than 1 e19. The integrated grip is more ergos than anything else. You will end up needing more than 1 battery.
Its interesting that many people find the $6K price outrageous yet the R3 handily beats the 1DX3 in most specs and that camera sells for $6,500.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Its a slightly updated fully gripped R5, with a better sensor that has been dumbed down for extra speed. And I'm not terribly optimistic the sensor is going to be all that fast either. If we see anything faster than 6ms I'll be surprised (considering they only went for the low hanging fruit). They literally one up'ed a 4 year old A9. $7000 saved.
The stacked sensor should be significantly faster if it produce blackout free EVF and minimal rolling shutter.

But the R3 smokes the A9 and A9II in video features, which is important to a whole lot of hybrid users out there. And if you don't need 8K, and most do not, then the R3 is better than the A1.

Of course the R3 is likely to be a whole lot more durable under challenging conditions than any Sony.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
It's not that complicated.

6K DCI just means the full width of the sensor cropped to the appropriate Cinema 4K aspect ratio and 16:9 will have a slight crop and the 4K will be derived from either version (4K-D or 4K-U)

Exactly the same as the 1DX III, only 6K instead of 5.5K
But with significant improvements in terms of AF (disabled for 5.5K 60p, I'm guessing it will work in the R3), rolling shutter, availability of 4k120p, DSLR quirks removed etc. and for slightly less money as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Go find another playground if all you came here for was "Because I wanted to see the R3 announcement and get a chuckle at its absurd $6k price." Try SARs.
Took me a moment to realize you meant the Sony rumors site, instead of wishing severe acute respiratory syndrome on someone. The latter would have been a touch in the harsh side as far as responding to trolls goes :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
But the R3 smokes the A9 and A9II in video features, which is important to a whole lot of hybrid users out there. And if you don't need 8K, and most do not, then the R3 is better than the A1.
Funny. When a canon has better video features, it's quietly ignored when people scream that it's poor value compared to an a9 :D

Upvote 0