Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R3

JamesG25

EOS R3 (ordered), R5 , R and RP
Jul 31, 2021
I wonder how many are pre-ordering from B&H using their PayBoo card. This is my first time placing a large order since retailers have started collecting taxes from Florida purchasers. For me, with a $420 hit and a tight budget, B&H seemed to be the only option.
Yep… this time I bought from B&H with PayBoo. 1st body I have ever purchased from B&H. The sales tax back made it the only purchase option I consider.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Overall, a very solid camera for high-speed low-light photography. For me the highlights are the following:

1) 1/64000 top shutter speed with electronic shutter
2) full 14 bit files with electronic shutter at 30 fps
3) electronic shutter at three speeds of continuous shooting of 3, 15, 30 fps
4) solid high ISO noise performance
5) Assignable Q menu
6) More flexible customization
7) built-in GPS
8) Weighs almost 1 lb lighter than the 1Dx Mk3 and about 200 gram lighter than a R5 with the vertical grip attached.
9) Better low-light AF than the 1Dx Mk3.

Thank you so much for this. Do we know of any compromises when using the electronic shutter instead of the mechanical shutter aside from skewed lines thanks to the sensor readout speed (in some instances)? Given e-shutter files are 14-bit, I don't know of any. There shouldn't be any EFCS bokeh issues, since EFCS isn't active in e-shutter mode . . . I think . . .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I also like that it is full 14-bit files at 30 fps. No 12-bit BS!! Preorder through B&H at 6:00 am this morning :)
But 24mp BS! this camera just caught up to the A9II, except it has worse battery life. Wildlife photographers will continue to use the r5, the r3 is only good for sports shooters. Ok camera, but nothing ground-breaking (the eye AF tracking is not as revolutionary as eye AF)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

But 24mp BS! this camera just caught up to the A9II, except it has worse battery life. Wildlife photographers will continue to use the r5, the r3 is only good for sports shooters. Ok camera, but nothing ground-breaking (the eye AF tracking is not as revolutionary as eye AF)

You do know that many pro wildlife shooters and enthusiasts are using the Canon 1Dx line and the Nikon D4 to D6. Of late the most popular are the R6 and Z6. High MP bodies aren’t the be all and end all as not everyone crops.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
The reviews suggest that the EVF of the R3 looks MUCH better than the EVF of the R5 at low light. The really had problems at low light. If ISO is over 3200, the EVF switched to a lower frame rate. The "OVF simulation" of the R3 seems to do a much better job at low light. That would be very important for me, as I take a lot of photos in the blue hour.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Ouch! the LP-E19 will only last 30% of the shots on the R3 vs the 1Dx Mk III:
Battery Life: With LCD Approx.860 shots (at 23°C)
Battery life: Viewfinder shooting Approx. 2850 (at 20°C)

I was thinking I could easily get away with not getting a 2nd battery, since I never chewed through a full charge on my aging 1Dx. Guess I need a Battery #2 anyway.

Don't worry about it. If it worked that way, those using the R3 for the olympics would not be pleased.
Battery life was mentioned in a review I saw this morning. Can't remember who it was but it was a lady bringing the R3 to what looked like a trackday. I think she was at 4000 shots and the battery had gone down one of four bars and she mentioned that the standard calls for excessive power cycles and time spent reviewing images on the back screen.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Don't worry about it. If it worked that way, those using the R3 for the olympics would not be pleased.
Battery life was mentioned in a review I saw this morning. Can't remember who it was but it was a lady bringing the R3 to what looked like a trackday. I think she was at 4000 shots and the battery had gone down one of four bars and she mentioned that the standard calls for excessive power cycles and time spent reviewing images on the back screen.
Thanks for the info.

After posting that, I saw Gordon Laing's said in his review that he got 2000+ shot out of the battery. So it'clearly s less of an issue than the test method claims it to be. I would be taking the R3 to trackdays/racing where you need to restrain yourself just to take "only" 2500+ shots (imagine 60+ riders circulating on the track in 3-4 groups for 5-7 hours). With 30fps and a bit of spray-and-pray I think you could easily double or even quadruple that number. Then you'd have the luxury problem of having to wade through lots of good pictures to find the truly great ones.

I guess the test method includes a significant amount of chimping :D

Upvote 0
Price in Sweden came in a positive surprise;

1Dx - 87kSEK
Sony A1 - 77kSEK
R3 - 65kSEK
Sony A9II - 48kSEK

Yes, prices here are ridiculous but at least Canon didn't shaft us this time. The Sony A1 is really questionable at its pricepoint but then so is the 1Dx (at approximately $10k)
The 65K SEK seems in line with the 48.295 DKK (=65.880 SEK). With the €6100 indication, I had expected 49.500DKK (67.500SEK).
Minor positive suprise, yes.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yes, the CIPA ratings for battery life include reviewing shots and on models with built-in flash, using that flash. It is meant to simulate an average day of use. If you hold down the shutter at 30fps you'll get *a lot* of shots on a single charge with a big enough CFe card.

So far I can get "half a day" out of a battery on the RP and the R5, but that decreases when using lenses with powerfull IS like the 100-500. Last weekend I did 700 shots in 3 hours and had about 50% left on the R5, using the RF100 macro and EF180 macro. It was cold enough for the tree frog to stay in place, so fewer shots in a burst. But when I do long bursts for DiF and shoot some video in between I can empty out a battery in an hour or so.

Canon uses CIPA procedures to rate their IS as well, hence the gazillion stops reported for IS+IBIS and I still have to use 1/200s or faster for macro on the RF100L with electronic shutter :)

Upvote 0
The 65K SEK seems in line with the 48.295 DKK (=65.880 SEK). With the €6100 indication, I had expected 49.500DKK (67.500SEK).
Minor positive suprise, yes.

Compared to how canon priced the R5 in this market (currently at circa $5800 or $2k more than the official US launch price)... I was fully expecting the R3 to be about €8k.

Upvote 0
So far I can get "half a day" out of a battery on the RP and the R5, but that decreases when using lenses with powerfull IS like the 100-500. Last weekend I did 700 shots in 3 hours and had about 50% left on the R5, using the RF100 macro and EF180 macro. It was cold enough for the tree frog to stay in place, so fewer shots in a burst. But when I do long bursts for DiF and shoot some video in between I can empty out a battery in an hour or so.
Thanks for the datapoints. The R5 with the LP-E6NH is rated at 490 shots, so the R3 with the more powerfull LP-E19 is rated for +75% shots.
I have to consider power for the Big Whites as well (300/2.8, 200-400) so 2 batteries are probably prudent. They seem to be generally out of stock here, so I should keep an eye out for them.

Upvote 0
You do know that many pro wildlife shooters and enthusiasts are using the Canon 1Dx line and the Nikon D4 to D6. Of late the most popular are the R6 and Z6. High MP bodies aren’t the be all and end all as not everyone crops.
Nope, the pro wildlife photographers are using the r5 and a1 period! cropping extends your range significantly especially for wild life photography. Those still shooting with lower mp bodies are simply the old guard who refuse to embrace the advantages of high megapixel bodies or the broke amateurs.

• Haha
Upvote 0