Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R3

The biggest thing for video folks is the R3's hotshoe pins like Sony's multi interface shoe. All future Canon MILC bodies will probably have this as well. It is convenient to be able to use audio accessories without running 3.5mm cables or supplying extra power to the accessories. But the biggest issue for new R3 owners will be constantly losing those damn hot shoe caps on the body and flash to protect those pins.

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
The biggest thing for video folks is the R3's hotshoe pins like Sony's multi interface shoe. All future Canon MILC bodies will probably have this as well. It is convenient to be able to use audio accessories without running 3.5mm cables or supplying extra power to the accessories. But the biggest issue for new R3 owners will be constantly losing those damn hot shoe caps on the body and flash to protect those pins.
Just another income stream from people who need replacements. I mean, just look at how many different Canon lens caps now exist. If you shoot EF and RF lenses and teleconverters it is ridiculous. I hate trying to find the right cap in the dark or when it is raining and almost never having the correct one handy. Canon, I know you can make caps that fit both EF and RF TCs and lenses and reduce the number.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
I also like that it is full 14-bit files at 30 fps. No 12-bit BS!! Preorder through B&H at 6:00 am this morning :)
I wonder how many are pre-ordering from B&H using their PayBoo card. This is my first time placing a large order since retailers have started collecting taxes from Florida purchasers. For me, with a $420 hit and a tight budget, B&H seemed to be the only option.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Having no 3rd strap lug is an absolute deal breaker for me. I was considering buying the R3 but I can't live without my hand strap.
That is unfortunate, didn’t know that. Love my E1 hand strap.

I had emailed RRS a while back to see if they’re planning an R3 plate. They said they’re discussing it (pretty sure they will, ideally modular). I just emailed them to request they include a hand strap lug on the camera plate to replace the one Canon omitted.

Edit: they responded pretty much immediately that it was a good idea and they’d take it under consideration. Nice, but I don’t read too much into that with any company.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Overall, a very solid camera for high-speed low-light photography. For me the highlights are the following:

1) 1/64000 top shutter speed with electronic shutter
2) full 14 bit files with electronic shutter at 30 fps
3) electronic shutter at three speeds of continuous shooting of 3, 15, 30 fps
4) solid high ISO noise performance
5) Assignable Q menu
6) More flexible customization
7) built-in GPS
8) Weighs almost 1 lb lighter than the 1Dx Mk3 and about 200 gram lighter than a R5 with the vertical grip attached.
9) Better low-light AF than the 1Dx Mk3.
Personally, I'd like 20fps as well, but this is a minor quibble. With these options, I doubt that I'll ever use mechanical shutter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Personally, I'd like to 20fps as well, but this is a minor quibble. With these options, I doubt that I'll ever use mechanical shutter.
Exactly. I honestly see no use for the mechanical shutter except to cover the sensor when I change lenses. The electronic shutter works at 1, 3, 15, 30 fps. I also would have liked 5, 10, 15, ,20, 30 fps as options, but 3, 15, 30 fps is fine as well. Maybe a firmware update can add more options or maybe fps flexibility will be reserved for the R1.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

researcher

Shooting With Trailing-Edge Gear Now & Then...
May 30, 2015
And now the billion dollar question: Flash with electronic shutter - is it global shutter or does it only sync to HSS flashes?
I'm guessing no, not yet. I think global shutter would be one of those screaming features they would publicize in all caps. And this quote from Petapixel:
"Canon says that the readout speed of the sensor is so good that there is minimum rolling electronic shutter distortion. The EOS R3 can support flash sync with its electronic shutter at up to 1/180 second at up to 15 frames per second."

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The EOS R3 can support flash sync with its electronic shutter at up to 1/180 second at up to 15 frames per second."
Wow, that’s going to drain a flash capacitor fast. Maybe needs the EL-1’s ultra low power ‘microflash’, and to get enough light for a real flash you need to gang several of them. A $4000 flash rig to go with your $6000 camera. Smart Canon!

A8BB179F-951C-4DAA-8ECF-E103543B4BF1.jpeg

Upvote 0
I'm guessing no, not yet. I think global shutter would be one of those screaming features they would publicize in all caps. And this quote from Petapixel:
"Canon says that the readout speed of the sensor is so good that there is minimum rolling electronic shutter distortion. The EOS R3 can support flash sync with its electronic shutter at up to 1/180 second at up to 15 frames per second."
From https://www.canon-europe.com/cameras/eos-r3/specifications/
  • X-Sync
    1/200sec mechanical shutter / 1/250th electronic 1st curtain, 1/180sec Electronic shutter

Upvote 0
Ouch! the LP-E19 will only last 30% of the shots on the R3 vs the 1Dx Mk III:
Battery Life: With LCD Approx.860 shots (at 23°C)
Battery life: Viewfinder shooting Approx. 2850 (at 20°C)

I was thinking I could easily get away with not getting a 2nd battery, since I never chewed through a full charge on my aging 1Dx. Guess I need a Battery #2 anyway.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Canon can make all the fuzz they want, but this is an R6 with an inbuilt battery grip. For 6000 euro’s. No way I am buying it.
Repeating a statement doesn't make it true. Unless you know something I don't.

I'd love to get rich by just stating I am often enough, let me know if you've had success with that :p

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Canon can make all the fuzz they want, but this is an R6 with an inbuilt battery grip. For 6000 euro’s. No way I am buying it.

The R6 is nothing like the R3, it’s not even in remotely the same league. We need to wait for the Nikon Z9 before we’ll see competition for the R3, until then it sits on on a lonely throne with nothing else coming close.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0