In a shocking development, Canon adds the EOS R3, RF 16mm f/2.8 & RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM to its list of products with a supply issue

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has added all of the gear announced this week to its list of products that will likely suffer supply issues to meet demand.
From Canon

We have received more orders than expected for each of the following products, and it will take some time before delivery.
We thank you for your many orders and apologize for any inconvenience caused to our customers. Thank you kindly look forward for your understanding.

[Applicable products]

RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 IS USM
RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM
RF400mm F2.8 L IS USM...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
It will be interesting to see if placing pre-orders in the first half hour did any good.
I am keenly interested in seeing if placing pre-orders in the first *four* minutes did any good.

It worked out for me with the R5, and this camera will sell a lot less than a cheaper camera, but I also expect in the same vein they're making a lot less of these.

It would be very interesting to know the initial allotment Canon has in the first shipment for each dealer. Are we talking 10, 100, or 1000?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
It does not surprise me that Canon has announced still more stock shortages. What I don't believe is the part of about Canon receiving more orders than expected. That is a bunch of you know what. Canon should just state the obvious. We needed to announce these new products, but given supply chain issues we will not be able to produce nearly enough units to meet initial demand. We apologize, but these issues are out of our control. Just be honest Canon, we all understand what is happening in the world these days with supply.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I am keenly interested in seeing if placing pre-orders in the first *four* minutes did any good.

It worked out for me with the R5, and this camera will sell a lot less than a cheaper camera, but I also expect in the same vein they're making a lot less of these.

It would be very interesting to know the initial allotment Canon has in the first shipment for each dealer. Are we talking 10, 100, or 1000?
I hope you are right. On the pessimistic side though, I think some things have changed since the R5. I believe that most people still had a pre-pandemic mindset when the R5 was released -- which was "wait until it is out for a few months and let others be the beta testers. The price will go down once the initial demand tapers off or rebates will be available if I wait." That was coupled with it a lot of people wanting to see just how well it really performed before ordering.

With the R3 I think there may have been a lot of people like me -- who never pre-order anything and usually don't buy in the first year after release waiting for the price to drop -- who were up at 4:30 waiting to hit the "buy" button. With the experience of the last year behind us, we know that if we want something we have to order as soon as it becomes available.

I don't think people were in that mindset so much when the R5 was released, with most figuring shortages might last a month or two or might affect toilet paper, or consumer items, but not specialty items like cameras.

On a positive note though, it does seem Canon has a more difficult time delivering lenses than cameras. The R5 is pretty much available everywhere now and the R6 can be found if you look.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
Fro will have a photo news fix just for this.

I was still probably gonna wait and see what the R1 turns out to be, but I’m more interested in the rumored 5DsR replacement in mirrorless form for what i do. The R3 does make the future of Canon look very bright though. Very tempted to sell my R6 & 5DsR, and a kidney or two and pick one of these up instead, but might not be able to if I want to even.

Upvote 0