Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R3

Speaking of packaging, having just the camera box inside a box with no padding unfortunately seems to be common. My 700D was just inside the camera box in a satchel with no padding. My 90D was just inside the camera box and pretty much loose inside of the packing box with very minimal padding where the box would still knock around. These were both new from 2 different companies. Most of my used lenses were packed a lot better from eBay sellers then the new gear from big companies.

Upvote 0
No it isn't simple maths, the random statistic of x somethings per second is meaningless when the x's being measured are different. Is a Sony calculation the same and/or as accurate as a Canon calculation? But more to the point how relevant is that frequency, number, or accuracy when translated to in focus shots?

Now you can compare one Sony to another, or one Canon to another, in raw metrics, but across brands the numbers you are giving are irrelevant to the photographic output, and call me stupid but I buy cameras to take in focus shots not because I extrapolated incomparable spec numbers across brands.

Further, you say the Sony acquires focus twice as fast as anything else available, that isn't what Sony claim. They say the AF system does twice the calculations per second of other systems, nothing about acquiring focus in that time. See how the extrapolating random numbers leads to entirely inaccurate assumptions?
You call them random statistics but they are generic performance specs which can be compared across brands the same way you could compare shutter speed. Canon states on the camera webpage: "The CANON EOS R3 can perform up to 60 fps of AF calculation and tracking" while Sony states: "Fast sensor readout enables 120 AF/AE calculations per second3, even during 30 fps bursts, for pinpoint AF tracking precision with fast and erratic subjects. AE latency is less than 0.033sec" so it's apples to apples. Let me explain this In simple terms for you: more AF calculations per second, higher chance to get your subject in focus.....it's that simple! Now if you think these figures provided by Sony are mere assumptions, so are Canon's figures. Canon is getting close though, but I wouldn't expect less from a company that was founded in 1937!

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
You call them random statistics but they are generic performance specs which can be compared across brands the same way you could compare shutter speed. Canon states on the camera webpage: "The CANON EOS R3 can perform up to 60 fps of AF calculation and tracking" while Sony states: "Fast sensor readout enables 120 AF/AE calculations per second3, even during 30 fps bursts, for pinpoint AF tracking precision with fast and erratic subjects. AE latency is less than 0.033sec" so it's apples to apples. Let me explain this In simple terms for you: more AF calculations per second, higher chance to get your subject in focus.....it's that simple! Now if you think these figures provided by Sony are mere assumptions, so are Canon's figures. Canon is getting close though, but I wouldn't expect less from a company that was founded in 1937!
You're saying that if I mount my MP-E65mm to a Sony A1 it will focus faster?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
And I am saying that is a random and irrelevant metric within the one question that is actually important, how many critically sharp images do you get.

But seeing as how the R3 is being demonstrated to shoot 30fps pretty much across the board and the A1 doesn't, it looks like if accurate AF and high FPS are your critical metrics the R3 pisses all over the Sony.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
And the camera still has to drive the lens to focus where it has calculated, which is not a trivial problem.
Agreed. I'm not a Fro-fan, but he did pretty effectively demonstrate that the R3 can maintain a full 30 fps with various RF lenses and nail focus even at f/1.2 while doing so. I do not know if the Sony can do the same (per the specs some notable lenses cannot even do 30 fps, the 85/1.4 is limited to 20 fps, the 70-200/4 is limited to 15 fps, as a couple of examples, but that doesn't mean all the frames will be in focus).

Upvote 0
And I am saying that is a random and irrelevant metric within the one question that is actually important, how many critically sharp images do you get.

But seeing as how the R3 is being demonstrated to shoot 30fps pretty much across the board and the A1 doesn't, it looks like if accurate AF and high FPS are your critical metrics the R3 pisses all over the Sony.

Wow you reference Tony Northrup, that's truly the lowest anyone can go! This is the same guy who reviewed the R3 without actually having one on his hands and often spews inaccurate statements due to his lack of basic understanding on how cameras work. I can also drop videos here from Mark Galer, or numerous other photographers (who shoot with different brands) that show how the A1 indeed shoots 30fps and with 50MP! but why bother? Your glass is full and clearly your childish fanboyism and lack of critical thinking prevent you from acknowledging simple facts.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Wow you reference Tony Northrup, that's truly the lowest anyone can go! This is the same guy who reviewed the R3 without actually having one on his hands and often spews inaccurate statements due to his lack of basic understanding on how cameras work. I can also drop videos here from Mark Galer, or numerous other photographers (who shoot with different brands) that show how the A1 indeed shoots 30fps and with 50MP! but why bother? Your glass is full and clearly your childish fanboyism and lack of critical thinking prevent you from acknowledging simple facts.
Go on then. Link references to real world use by non sponsored photographers with the Sony A1 and f1.2 lenses not only consistently shooting at 30 fps but also achieving critical focus for >95% of the shots. As Neuro points out Sony themselves limit fps when using many of their own lenses on the A1.

I am not fans of either Northrop or Fro but the point is they are independent and they are clearly illustrating actually real world facts, not merely endorsed opinions. Time stamps, buffering, and freely available image files back up what these guys are saying regardless of whether you like what they are saying, or how they say it.

You can accuse me of fanboyism as much as you like, to me it sounds like you are the one who is blindly drinking from the Sony cup... You are the one ignoring the illustrations of real world use with your own eyes.

Upvote 0
Go on then. Link references to real world use by non sponsored photographers with the Sony A1 and f1.2 lenses not only consistently shooting at 30 fps but also achieving critical focus for >95% of the shots. As Neuro points out Sony themselves limit fps when using many of their own lenses on the A1.

I am not fans of either Northrop or Fro but the point is they are independent and they are clearly illustrating actually real world facts, not merely endorsed opinions. Time stamps, buffering, and freely available image files back up what these guys are saying regardless of whether you like what they are saying, or how they say it.

You can accuse me of fanboyism as much as you like, to me it sounds like you are the one who is blindly drinking from the Sony cup... You are the one ignoring the illustrations of real world use with your own eyes.
But megapixels!

Upvote 0

You are literally the reason they have instructions on shampoo bottles, wake up and smell the coffee!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0