Canon registered two new ILC bodies

Jul 21, 2010
R Mark II does not make sense as far as naming goes. Probably any RF camera from now on will have a number, as R7, R8, etc
That doesn’t really make sense. What will the update to the R5 be called? They’re going to run out of single-digit numbers fairly quickly, and if a future R5 successor has a double-digit number, that contravenes the convention for both DSLR and EOS M naming. I don’t think Canon is that shortsighted.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Maybe it is a high MP. One with a low pass filter and one with out. Then again it could be a replacement for the RP and the second one has the IR filter removed for astro.
Entry level, I bet. The white versions of the M-series are popular in Japan, so I suspect black and white versions of the new entry-level sub-$1K EOS R.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
There has been plenty information from the gitgo about the R6, if you bought it for video work you didn't do your homework. Like complaining a Ford Pinto is a horrible NASCAR vehicle.
Not really. This is a tool. Tools usually get better or easier to use as technology advances.
Terrible comparison my guy.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Not really. This is a tool. Tools usually get better or easier to use as technology advances.
Terrible comparison my guy.
Fine, a Ford Bronco. The 2021 model is a lot more technologically advanced than the 1965 model, but would still make a horrible NASCAR vehicle.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Canon has made it very clear in C Suite interviews that there will be no Mk ll of the R or RP
It will have a different model name, but Canon can't afford to abandon the lower end FF mirrorless market.

I don't know about elsewhere in the world, but in Japan last month (BCN) the RP was Canon's best selling RF camera.

Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
R Mark II does not make sense as far as naming goes. Probably any RF camera from now on will have a number, as R7, R8, etc
You’re right. My point wasn’t the name but the style of the camera. Something under R6. I’m just worried that the R6 is a precedent for top LCD being for cameras over 3000 $ :/

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
You’re right. My point wasn’t the name but the style of the camera. Something under R6. I’m just worried that the R6 is a precedent for top LCD being for cameras over 3000 $ :/
Why? A top LCD may look stylish and modern, but a traditional mode dial is much more intuitive to use, for me at least.

I own an R5, but I much prefer the mode dial on my friend’s R6.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
That doesn’t really make sense. What will the update to the R5 be called? They’re going to run out of single-digit numbers fairly quickly, and if a future R5 successor has a double-digit number, that contravenes the convention for both DSLR and EOS M naming. I don’t think Canon is that shortsighted.
I don't think that's what he means. I think he means an R replacement would have a number, as would an RP replacement. Of course there will be Mark II, Mark III, etc. of R5, R6 and R3 (Unless they drop the model altogether).

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
It’s probably more relevant to discuss the “needs” of the manufacturer, i.e what is missing from their range that would be in sufficiently high demand to make it a profitable line.

My opinion is that Canon, having produced the R6, probably don’t perceive there being a great demand for an R Mkii.

On the other hand, they need a market leading and very affordable starter camera (i.e. a successor to the RP) to entice people into the Canon system. Brand loyalty is a major driver of future sales, and Canon know that once they’ve got someone hooked, they’ll likely stay with them for several years.

When it comes to the “needs” and desires of enthusiasts as opposed to beginners, I think there’s probably far more demand for a crop sensor RF body, than there is for an R replacement. YMMV.
I wasn´t asking for a successor of the R because of my "needs". To me it's just obvious that in Canons lineup there would be a huge hole if there'd be no successor of the R and no camera lined up in between the RP and the R6.

In order to entice people to join a system it is not only an entry-level camera what's needed, there have to be more options to spread out later on. At the moment, if you rule out the R, you'd have:

entry-level: RP
semi-pro/ pro level: R6

There are several people who'd rule out buying the R6 (20mp e.g./ price point too high/ "no need for 20fps...) and are looking/ and might be looking for a camera more capable the RP one day. If the R6 is ruled out it leaves you with the R5... way too expensive "to entice" people to join or get hooked...

Take a look at Sonys line-up: there are so many options that if you start out with an entry-level camera you have several paths/ directions to go from there on. Canon is missing that if the R would to be omitted. At the moment, the R sits perfectly between the RP and the R6, but it is from 2018 and some features are clearly outdated and therefore they'd need an update.

In my opinion Canon would need a line-up like this to attract customers:

R10: crop camera
R9: RP replacement - entry level
R8: R replacement - enthusiast allrounder...

R7: crop-pro camera - I hear y'all birders :)
R6: you know the deal

R5/c/s: spealised version and all-around work horse
R3: professional sports/ wedding/ wildlife pros

R1: do it all in perfection camera

This line-up would have several entry-level/ amateur options, semi-pro and pro options. I'm sure Canon will come up with a similar line-up. Entry level might have even more options if there are really three crop-cameras coming.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I don’t think so.

The next iteration of Canon cameras will be R3 Mkii, R5 Mkii, R6 Mkii etc.
Those cameras will surely be released one day, but as long as they are building their line-up in order to provide people with more (camera) options R7 through R10 will be viable options for their naming scheme.

Upvote 0
I don’t have the sales figures to prove it, but my impression is that ultra high MP cameras are a niche market, and not hugely important in terms of sales. They exist primarily to demonstrate the manufacturer’s capability and technical prowess.

Sure, they’ll be bought by a few landscape and architectural photographers, and by some wildlife photographers etc who believe that heavy cropping is better and more affordable than using big whites for distant subjects.

But I sense a turning in the tide. 100+MP is seen as too big a jump by many people who don’t want to also invest in a high end gaming computer to process the images, and who will rarely, if ever, have a genuine need for such high resolution.

Do you honestly believe that a 100MP camera is needed for your landscape photography? How large do you make your prints, and how close to them are your eyes when you look at them?

It seems to me that buying a 100MP camera is a bit like buying a 200mph Ferrari that never gets driven at more than half that speed.
I think you are

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

Im not saying there won't be "Mark II" designation but won't be a new model named just "R" without a number (+ Mark II for already existing models).

Upvote 0