Canon to release an RF 5.2mm f/2.8L next?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Nokishita has Tweeted a surprising mention for the next RF mount lens from Canon. They claim that a Canon RF 5.2mm f/2.8L is on the way,
If this lens is legit and not a typo, it’s likely one heck of a fisheye lens.
This is the first that I’ve heard of such a lens, and color me intrigued.
More to come…

Continue reading...

Apr 29, 2019
Maybe typo (or something lost in translation) ?
Wouldn't it be too short even for a "normal" circular 180° fisheye on fullframe?
(Though there are several variations of optical projections/corrections)
This makes total sense: Shooting streeview half spheres with one shot you need more than 180°.
Those Googles, ... do it today with multiple camera arrays. One single shot with a 45MPX sensor facing the zenith can do the job.
Every of those Google, Garmin, Apple, ... cars/rigs bings back terabyte of data day by day to be spherical stitched.
You probably can heat towns withe the power wasted for processing.
This is a professional market worth to be targeted.
This market is selling by far better than i.e. tilt/shift or things like this.

A lens for this use case can cost the price of a car and will be sold.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
An APS-C circular fisheye (Canon's APS-C sensors have a crop factor of 1.6x)? That's why the special, dedicated cap?
I thought about that too. Maybe if it's a fisheye zoom that GOES to 5.2 (passing through 8 on the way), it could be setting up for use on an eventual APS-C RF-mount body? If it's prime 5.2 it would leave a lot of the sensor unused on their entire RF line to date.

Upvote 0

HMC11

Travel
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
What is the reason, you didn't think that before?
What was the last EF "signal" ?
I did think they were serious about RF all along. However, until now, the RF lenses they produced tended to reflect the EF lines, albeit with additional features and performance matching or exceeding the EF counterparts. The 5.2 is a significant difference, and hence a strong signal/affirmation of their claim to have a strong RF focus.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0