Patent: Canon RF 18-45mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM for APS-C sensor

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A Canon RF 18-45mm lens has been on the Canon Rumors RF lens roadmap for quite some time, and I have always thought it was a weird choice for full-frame cameras, I have thought in the past that the lens would work well for both full-frame and APS-C image sensors.
A new patent from Canon shows an RF 18-45mm f/4.5-6.3 for what appears to be an APS-C sensor.  I say RF because I don’t believe there will be any new EF-M lenses, though this patent may just be to protect design ideas and won’t come to market.
The image height of 12.44mm-13.66mm lines up with an APS-C application.
Canon RF 18-45mm f/4.5-6.3

Focal length: 18.53mm 43.65mm
F value: 4.54 6.50
Half angle of view: 33.78° 17.38°
Image height: 12.40mm 13.66mm
Overall length: 92.00mm 83.05mm
Back focus: 30.20mm 51.20mm

Continue reading...

Jul 21, 2010
Certainly consistent with APS-C. Even if there are more EF-M lenses, since there's already an EF-M 15-45mm, would Canon make an 18-45mm for that mount? Maybe – it could be for EF-M and designed to be super cheap. Both the M18-55 and M15-45 were f/3.5-5.6, this patent is f/4.5-6.3, and slower is cheaper. Canon updated the EF-S 18-55mm several times, including several 'updates' that were mainly to lower production costs.

This forum focuses strongly on FF and higher-end gear, but Canon's best-selling ILCs are the EOS M series and the low-end DSLRs still sell very well, mainly because they're cheap. So bringing the cost of entry down for the EOS M line with a cheaper standard zoom may be a more Canon wants to make.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Every time I think about investing in Canon's full frame lineup, I start doing a quick calculation of what it would take to replace the focal length of all my Canon APS-C/EF-S glass, and come up with some crazy number, like $10k with an RF body, easily. It makes any decision to hold my 80D and wait so much easier. If there was an RF-C body that could mount EF-S lenses, it would probably get me to spend money.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Encouraging news for those wishing for an APS-C R body. OTOH, it leaves me wondering if there'll ever be a truly compact FF RF series zoom lens.
But, not so encouraging for those hoping that an APS-C R body will be a high end replacement for the 7D.

Best news though is that we can now start 20+ pages of debating the likelihood of an APS-C body, reach, equivalence and depth of field. Oh boy!

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Every time I think about investing in Canon's full frame lineup, I start doing a quick calculation of what it would take to replace the focal length of all my Canon APS-C/EF-S glass, and come up with some crazy number, like $10k with an RF body, easily. It makes any decision to hold my 80D and wait so much easier. If there was an RF-C body that could mount EF-S lenses, it would probably get me to spend money.
What you say is true. The upgrade to R from EF full frame was just the cost of a body and adapter. From EF-s glass could be adapted the same way - both the R5 and R6 will automatically go to crop mode when an EF-s lens is attached. And on the R5 that's still 18mp or so, but a lot of folks will want more than that.

Brian

Upvote 0

It was one of the first rules of digital photography that I learned, for a small incremental boost in IQ and equipment ability you have to pay about 3x as much.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
What you say is true. The upgrade to R from EF full frame was just the cost of a body and adapter. From EF-s glass could be adapted the same way - both the R5 and R6 will automatically go to crop mode when an EF-s lens is attached. And on the R5 that's still 18mp or so, but a lot of folks will want more than that.

Brian

Yes, but he needs to go with the R5 for pixel density to keep the uhhh....same "reach". That would cost $2,500 more than a 80d and accomplish very little.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]This forum focuses strongly on FF and higher-end gear, but Canon's best-selling ILCs are the EOS M series and the low-end DSLRs still sell very well, mainly because they're cheap. So bringing the cost of entry down for the EOS M line with a cheaper standard zoom may be a more Canon wants to make.
I really wish Canon would release an M200 sized model that supports eye-AF in servo mode. I still use the original M when I want to bring a small camera, the M6II is quite big compared to that.
OTOH, it's fall in my region now and all my insulated jackets and parkas have big enough pockets for the M6II+32mm :)

Upvote 0
Maybe aps-c isn't where this is going. Maybe their crop option could be aps-h?
That would be awkward, no? Yet another lens/sensor format, a new 1.3x crop in the consumer/pro photo/video space? Would negate the cost and reach advantages of a smaller APS-C sensor. Canon did announce a 250MP APS-H sensor 6 years ago, but it was for industrial applications.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I really wish Canon would release an M200 sized model that supports eye-AF in servo mode. I still use the original M when I want to bring a small camera, the M6II is quite big compared to that.
OTOH, it's fall in my region now and all my insulated jackets and parkas have big enough pockets for the M6II+32mm :)
Yep – I really like the M6 for portability, and the EF-M lenses are very good (and very small).

Upvote 0

MythPlayer

EOS R6 Mark Ⅱ
Sep 7, 2021
"Back focus: 30.20mm 51.20mm" That is very strange. Too short for DSLR, Too long to show that it is not taking adventage of the short fringe distance of either M or R. May be it is really a cheapo lens for either M or R and with simple optics.
Maybe for EF-s Mount Lens, Check every EF-s lens mount side

Upvote 0