Canon Introduces Their First Dual Fisheye Lens for Stereoscopic 3D 180° VR Capture in 8K

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
Finally had a chance to watch the video.

The construction of this lens is basically a small pair of binoculars:

- Folded optical path using prisms
- Manual focus band adjusts both lenses
- Left-right different adjustment "dial"

I put the word "dial" in quotes because that's what he calls it in the video, but he's using a small tool to adjust it. The Canon USA product page says the lens includes a hex wrench.

Upvote 0
There's a sample video here:

To to view the VR180 video stereoscopically (in 3D), do:

- Oculus Quest, Quest 2, or other VR headset: use the YouTube app in your VR headset and look for this video.
- With a Google Cardboard viewer: use your smartphone’s YouTube app (not browser). When the video loads, tap on the Google Cardboard icon and insert your phone in your Google Cardboard viewer.

(Instructions copied from 360rumors.com - Haven't tried myself. Cannot find my Google Cardboard)

Is there a higher quality version to download and view on my quest 2? This video looks like absolute garbage in VR, from I am assuming youtubes compression.

Upvote 0
Is there a higher quality version to download and view on my quest 2? This video looks like absolute garbage in VR, from I am assuming youtubes compression.
I don't know if there is a higher quality version, but you are right that it looks like garbage, and also that it is from compression. Whether or not it is youtube's compression or something Canon did is hard to say. I definitely occurred to me when watching that it was weird of Canon to use such a poor quality video for a lens advertisement.

Upvote 0