Canon will release an APS-C RF mount camera(s) later in 2022 [CR3]

I keep hearing from ppl that a camera with a crop sensor will be lighter... how much ligher? We have seen a tremendous reduction on weight with the new milc bodies already. In the end I think with new technologies evolved and the low prices that already full frame cameras are manufactured these days, there won't be enough interest for manufacturers to make cameras with crop sensors. Faster readouts, cpus and fps and I think that it is time the industry to move to medium format! That is my point of view!

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I wonder what's the point any more. What % difference of the total cost of the camera would an APS-C sensor versus a Full Frame camera?
A full frame that can crop in the view finder would be more flexible. An R7 would have to be quite robust (to match a 7D ruggedness).
I wonder would they make it more computational like an Olympus. It could I suppose have a good frame rate.
I hope the sensor is better than the 7DII (a sensor I was never happy with).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I don't think this is such a good idea, but as long as Canon don't waste time and resources producing a whole RF-S lens line, there is not much harm in putting a smaller sensor into an R-body to keep body prices low. Paired with a set of entry-level RF-glass it could keep prices low and offer a pathway to the FF world.

On the other hand, how much cheaper can an RF-APSC body be than the rumored sub-1000 USD FF body for the R-system?

Else, I think the M-line ist better suited to providing small, light and affordable body+lens camera packages.

Upvote 0
Ok but why?

because sustaining two mounts doesn't work out well in the segment Canon/Nikon/Sony are in. And because they need to attract people who find the R6 and R5 too expensive while also being underwhelmed by the overall performance of the R and RP.
EF-M seems to have served its purpose as a hold-over mount to test the waters.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Now, I don’t know if we’re talking about something like an “EOS R7” or a camera(s) to take the place of the EOS M line.
Can someone please explain why Canon would replace the EOS M line with a low-cost APS-C EOS R?

After that, explain why Toyota decided to replace the Corolla (the world's best-selling car) with a low-cost Camry. Oh wait, Toyota isn't foolish enough to do that.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Ok but why?
Because M mount never had a full system of native lenses, and probably never will.

Canon has traditionally had a crop sensor DSLR system that natively accepted all of its full frame EF lenses (as well as its own range of EF-S lenses), and I think it will carry over that practice to the RF mount.

Canon is a huge company and plenty capable of running multiple lens systems simultaneously. RF is obviously the major mount and will I believe be used for both FF and APS-C going forward. I think M will be retained as it's very popular, especially in the Asian market.

I'm not sure whether EF lenses are still being manufactured but I'd be very surprised if any new EF designs are released - this leaves production lines and development teams with the space to expand the RF range to included APS-C bodies and lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
Can someone please explain why Canon would replace the EOS M line with a low-cost APS-C EOS R?

After that, explain why Toyota decided to replace the Corolla (the world's best-selling car) with a low-cost Camry. Oh wait, Toyota isn't foolish enough to do that.
Two arguments in favor of doing so would be upgrade path and lens selection. In today's terms, it would be nice if you could "graduate" from EOS M to Rebel to 90D, all while keeping your lenses. And if you have an EOS M and a 90D...to use the same lens on both. As far as lens selection goes...you'd have a robust selection from the bottom of the lineup all the way to the top.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
They won't. I can't see any reason why the M series and an APS-C line in RF mount can't co-exist. There's plenty of room for both, as they are aimed at different markets, and Canon has the capability to maintain both lines.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I'm also looking forward to months of lectures from self-appointed forum experts on "reach" and "equivalence."

"Reach" is very important. For years when going to shoot wildlife I always "reach" for the 5Ds R rather than the 7D II. Now I will "reach" for my R5.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
I keep hearing from ppl that a camera with a crop sensor will be lighter... how much ligher? We have seen a tremendous reduction on weight with the new milc bodies already. In the end I think with new technologies evolved and the low prices that already full frame cameras are manufactured these days, there won't be enough interest for manufacturers to make cameras with crop sensors. Faster readouts, cpus and fps and I think that it is time the industry to move to medium format! That is my point of view!
EOS M series are a lot lighter. I usually take an EOS M6II with 11-22, 22, 32, (sigma 56 or 18-150) when I go out. The same camera bag can't even carry 1 FF DLSR body and 1 kit lens.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Two comments:

If they see a way they think they can make extra $$$$ Canon will, despite how foolish the decision might be.

I wouldn't think Ford is a foolish car company, but they brought us the Edsel and the Pinto.
And Toyota will no longer sell Land Cruiser's in the US, I question their sanity and my next ride.
Big corporations do what they want regardless of my preferences, but then GMC released the new EV Hummer so their is still hope.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Makes sense for Canon to do this, painful but necessary but does mean end to the EOS M line

No, it does not.

You're arguing the mirror image (but still wrong) of the people who want an APS-C R and hate the M series because they think somehow they can't get their APS-C R while it exists.

There is NO reason Canon cannot do both, and they have every reason to want to keep the EF-M line going.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I could see canon bringing a R10 APS-C for around 1200.- replacing the 90D. The R7 fans will (have to) be satisfied with it because it will have great AF and a 30MP APS-C Sensor and between 10-20 fps. But it will attract more consumers as well because it´s not gonna have a R7 price tag.

Still it will be placed well above the M50 and M6, so it´s no competition to those. M-Line for compact hobby bodies, R for enthusiasts and pros.

The rumored18-45mm lense could be a FF-lense that serves as affordable wide angle zoom for FF (still missing in the RF line up) as well as a Kit lense for the R10.

That way canon would not have to produce RF-S lenses (for now).

In quite a few years from now, canon could still get rid of the M line and go all in on RF.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I'm betting we'll see three new R-series in 2022. Two will be APS-C: an R7 (mirrorless 7D. Mark II) and am R50 (beginning of the transition from M-series to R-series). The third will be a high end, pro full frame R1 with a huge sensor (75-85MP) and integral grip (like the R3).
The R7 will be a sports action camera, probably around 24MP with state-of-the-art AF, very fast frame rate, and with build, sealing and durability similar to 7DII. It will have a stacked or global sensor to avoid rolling shutter problems. And it should cost $2000 or a little less. Why 24MP? There are some things, like very fast, high volume sports photography where you really don't want the largest possible files or the camera shake issues that come with ultra high resolutions (90D and M6II have the most pixels per square mm of any interchangeable lens camera currently on the market). A more modest resolution also can be helpful for low light/high ISO work. Also, 7DII is durability rated for 200,000 shutter actuations, while 90D is rated for 120,000 clicks (up from 100K in 80D). This is important when a camera has ultra high frame rates. Another possible solutuon, Canon may choose to eliminate the mechanical shutter entirely (as Nikon has done in the Z9) if their stacked sensor in the R3 works as well as expected.
The R50 will be more video and vlogger oriented, which I don't know enough about to predict resolution. Maybe 32.5MP like M6II? But it needs to be compact (no EVF or accessory EVF?) and reasonably affordable at around $1000.
Those two APS-C models would meet the majority of market demand and they can add more models later.
P.S. Don't expect there to be an EF-M to RF adapter. The EF--M mount uses a a shorter lens register than the RF mount... 18mm vs 20mm... which makes an adapter impossible or at least impractical. There's simply no room for rhe adapter, like there is for EF (46mm) to RF (20mm). Of course, it's possible to put optics in an adapter to correct for the problem with the EF-M lens register (distance from the mounting flange to the sensor, at which all lenses for the mount are designed to back focus). However, adapters with quality optics are very expensive and ones that are more affordable typically ruin image quality. So someone with EF-M mount lenses should plan on trading them in when they buy an R-series camera or just keep an M-series camera to use the EF-M lenses upon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0