Canon will release an APS-C RF mount camera(s) later in 2022 [CR3]

Jan 27, 2020
I was not sure there would even be an APS-c mirrorless camera while ever the M series was around. Now we hear of the likely demise of that series it would be nice if Canon did produce a mirrorless equivalent of the 7D mk2. It doesnt necessarily follow that it has to be a lower quality poly-bodied one as the sales over the years of the 7D iterations was good because wildlife enthusiasts recognised the extra reach you could get from the sensor magnification. Add on a X1.4extender and a 100-400mm zoom and you had a great and versatile combination. I believe there are many out there that would like to see this continue in the mirrorless future. A cheaper body with poor weather sealing would be no use.
I see that you are new hear, so I thought I'd just chime in with a reminder...

This is a rumor site - so it is best to disregard anything you read here until actual Canon announcements are made. This site is NOT run by Canon and has no affiliation with Canon. If you have actual comments or questions that you want Canon to address, contact them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

This is a rumor site - so it is best to disregard anything you read here until actual Canon announcements are made. This site is NOT run by Canon and has no affiliation with Canon. If you have actual comments or questions that you want Canon to address, contact them.
@Midge is new here and is just starting a discussion to see what others think. There is nothing wrong with that so don't be condescending to new members and tell them to write to Canon. Members here like Neuro and Michael Clark do have good insights into what is going on and they should not be disregarded.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

While that is a good reality check, it should also be noted that this particular thread began with a CR3 rating from @Canon Rumors Guy.

CRGuy is pretty conservative in his ratings, so if he gave it a CR3 it's certainly reasonable for people to give the original post (not all the speculation from forum members) some credence. As to what form that APS-C body might take and as to whether or not the 2022 timetable will hold up are certainly topics that can and should be debated, but I have learned from past experience that one discounts Craig's CR3 rumors at their own risk.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
@Midge is new here and is just starting a discussion to see what others think. There is nothing wrong with that so don't be condescending to new members and tell them to write to Canon. Members here like Neuro and Michael Clark do have good insights into what is going on and they should not be disregarded.
I see nothing wrong with letting new members know that these are rumors and that this site is not affiliated with Canon. Far too many members, whether they are new or not, treat rumors as fact and then post that rumored information as fact, either here or other places.

It is very easy for a new member to believe that this is a Canon affiliated site. Just pointing out that it is not.

I am glad that Midge is starting a discussion, but it is important for everyone, in my opinion - not just new members - to discuss the information from the correct starting point. Discussions can easily go astray or lead to misinformation if the starting point is presumed to be fact when it is actually a rumor, or even worse, when the rumor is factually incorrect, such as the current thread regarding the "last DSLR." The constant talk of the M system being discontinued has led at least a few people on this and other forums to sell their M system cameras and lenses. So, I don't think it is a bad idea to remind people when something is a rumor - or in other cases when the information is not even a rumor, just someone's opinion.

I certainly did not mean to single out Midge - and, in fact, have given the advice to many posters to contact Canon directly if they have a specific question or request. Obviously, they won't get any information about upcoming products that have not been announced, but making requests or asking specific questions are more likely (in my opinion) to be seen and registered if Canon is contacted, not an unaffiliated rumor site that is discussing Canon products.

If I seemed condescending to Midge, I am sorry. That was certainly not my intent. Nor is it my intent to disregard the members here who post good, reliable information, of which you are one. My use of the word "disregard" was a bad choice, but quite frankly a new member will have no idea who is a reliable poster and who is just someone trolling their particular agenda.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I see nothing wrong with letting new members know that these are rumors and that this site is not affiliated with Canon. Far too many members, whether they are new or not, treat rumors as fact and then post that rumored information as fact, either here or other places.

It is very easy for a new member to believe that this is a Canon affiliated site. Just pointing out that it is not.

I am glad that Midge is starting a discussion, but it is important for everyone, in my opinion - not just new members - to discuss the information from the correct starting point. Discussions can easily go astray or lead to misinformation if the starting point is presumed to be fact when it is actually a rumor, or even worse, when the rumor is factually incorrect, such as the current thread regarding the "last DSLR." The constant talk of the M system being discontinued has led at least a few people on this and other forums to sell their M system cameras and lenses. So, I don't think it is a bad idea to remind people when something is a rumor - or in other cases when the information is not even a rumor, just someone's opinion.

I certainly did not mean to single out Midge - and, in fact, have given the advice to many posters to contact Canon directly if they have a specific question or request. Obviously, they won't get any information about upcoming products that have not been announced, but making requests or asking specific questions are more likely (in my opinion) to be seen and registered if Canon is contacted, not an unaffiliated rumor site that is discussing Canon products.

If I seemed condescending to Midge, I am sorry. That was certainly not my intent. Nor is it my intent to disregard the members here who post good, reliable information, of which you are one. My use of the word "disregard" was a bad choice, but quite frankly a new member will have no idea who is a reliable poster and who is just someone trolling their particular agenda.
OK, I accept that you didn't intend it.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The constant talk of the M system being discontinued has led at least a few people on this and other forums to sell their M system cameras and lenses.
I know this is mean, but if people are that dumb they deserve what they get.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I don’t get that attitude. Do people think their camera will stop working if Canon stops selling them?
Some people are obsessed with retaining the value of their "investment."

That's not my perspective. Once I've bought something, I usually figure that the money is gone and if I get anything back when and if I sell it, that's a bonus.

Probably why I don't expect to ever be rich.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Hi this is Midge. I take no offence at the comments. I know its a rumours site. However, behind rumour there is often a truth or two. I was sounding out what others thought and what I hoped might happen in the future, besides expressing my frustration at what I felt was undue treatment by all Canon users regarding the move from DSLR to mirrorless. I personally hope a 7D mk2 replacement at the same build quality in mirrorless format DOES come along as that is my perfect upgrade and with the adaptor I will continue to use my array of EF glass.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
My cheap and poor weather sealing M50 with 15-45mm lense survived 3 days of rain and snow 3 years ago without any problem after that.
Thats great. Good to know of positive experience. My comment related to the excellent 7D mk2 weather sealing and build. I use this body in all weathers and its never let me down. My hope is that a mirrorless APS-c camera body will appear with the same build quality

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
Have you tried the M system ?
I have not tried the M system, although I gave it some thought. In the past, I figured it didn't provide much additional function over my 77D. Recently I think I heard it was going to be discontinued.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I have not tried the M system, although I gave it some thought. In the past, I figured it didn't provide much additional function over my 77D. Recently I think I heard it was going to be discontinued.
Recently I heard the earth was flat. :rolleyes:

The EOS M line is the best-selling MILC line in Japan and probably the world. Or course, it's possible that Canon is stupid and has not clue about how to make and sell cameras. It's also possible that what I heard about the world was true. No, no it's not.

Upvote 0
M line is great if it does what you want it to.

The selection of lenses is limited but does include some good quality ones.
The m50 for me was lacking as I found the auto focus too slow and looking at the m6 mkii, well I will never understand why a version with a built-in EVF wasn't brought out. I still occasionally get tempted but prices have gone daft.

Oh and the m50 mk ii was Canon flipping off its customers.

I think the line will come to an end once we see the RF APC replacements come out, but given what is going on in the world that could be a long way off.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Recently I heard the earth was flat. :rolleyes:

The EOS M line is the best-selling MILC line in Japan and probably the world. Or course, it's possible that Canon is stupid and has not clue about how to make and sell cameras. It's also possible that what I heard about the world was true. No, no it's not.
Where I live on the prairies, the earth IS flat. Not sure what that has to do with an R7 though.

Jack

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0