Canon EOS R6 firmwave v1.5.0 changelog posted, download now available

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Along with new firmware for the Canon EOS R5, firmware v1.5.0 for the Canon EOS R6 will be available within the next 24 hours.
Download Firmware v1.5.0 for the Canon EOS R6
Firmware Version 1.5.0 incorporates the following fixes and enhancements:

Improves head detection performance to support helmets or goggles in winter sports.
Adds [Vehicles] selection to [Subject to detect] selection in the [AF] tab to support the detection of automobiles and motorcycles in motorsports. Adds [Spot detection] when [Vehicles] is selected as the helmet of the driver or rider*.
 *Detection may not be possible for ordinary passenger cars or...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
so 2 fingers from canon if you're experiencing lock ups.
My experience has been that on the odd occasion when I get a lock-up, it's usually if not always caused by the buffer overloading, so it's less likely to happen if you use a really fast CF-E card, and quite likely to happen if you use a slower SD card. It's only happened to me 3 or 4 times, having used the camera heavily (15K actuations) for a year.

I've never had to remove a battery to fix it - simply turning the camera off and back on again fixes it. Nevertheless it's a pain in the neck as it invariably happens at a critical moment. I doubt if Canon would even acknowledge that the problem exists, but it's quite possible that they might produce a fix, and include it under unspecified bug-fixes or "stability enhancements"...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
so 2 fingers from canon if you're experiencing lock ups.
My R6 froze just once, while I was quickly trying to focus multiple times in the dark and it was naturally lagging a bit because the autofocus assist light was on. I had to remove the battery, and I never again pressed the AF-on so persistently in the dark.
I bought it in March and I’m about to reach 20k actuations. I can’t say that my previous cameras never froze as well, they certainly did, so in my experience I wouldn’t say there’s a lock up issue with the R6, and mine is just the 585th unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
My R6 froze just once, while I was quickly trying to focus multiple times in the dark and it was naturally lagging a bit because the autofocus assist light was on. I had to remove the battery, and I never again pressed the AF-on so persistently in the dark.
I bought it in March and I’m about to reach 20k actuations. I can’t say that my previous cameras never froze as well, they certainly did, so I wouldn’t say there’s a lock up issue with the R6, and mine is just the 585th unit.
The problem with lock-ups is that they are generally very infrequent and impossible to reproduce to order, and that makes it very difficult for any manufacturer to trace the cause.

Sometimes it's due to bad programming causing a conflict somewhere in the system. More often it's caused by overloading the circuitry. The same thing happens of course with computers - if you give them too heavy a workload, they can freeze while the buffer clears, or they can lock-up or auto-reboot.

Manufacturers can generally get around these issues by fitting a powerful processor to speed up data flow, but they also need to keep the price of the camera competitive, which limits the choice of processor.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
My experience has been that on the odd occasion when I get a lock-up, it's usually if not always caused by the buffer overloading, so it's less likely to happen if you use a really fast CF-E card, and quite likely to happen if you use a slower SD card. It's only happened to me 3 or 4 times, having used the camera heavily (15K actuations) for a year.

I've never had to remove a battery to fix it - simply turning the camera off and back on again fixes it. Nevertheless it's a pain in the neck as it invariably happens at a critical moment. I doubt if Canon would even acknowledge that the problem exists, but it's quite possible that they might produce a fix, and include it under unspecified bug-fixes or "stability enhancements"...
That’s interesting to know.

For me it has been the exact opposite - I had 3-4 lockups using really fast CF-express cards (happened when data was writing to the card). I now use 170MB/s SD cards and have not had 1 lockup in over 20,000 frames. These days I just keep the CF express for taking 8k clips.. but have learnt not to trust them for stills (specifically for my camera).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I’m curious to know if I can disable the multi controller centre press function when using it to select AF point. I always accidentally press a little too hard and my focus point goes back to the centre..
Doesn't look like you can disable the center press, at least not what I could find through customizations.

Upvote 0

TheSalvatore

Canon R5
Jun 18, 2020
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Good morninh to ALL.
What I need in next firmware is to be able to change from Q MENU people to animals or car.It's a very significant lack.
'Morning!

I'd prefer it on M-Fn, so I wouldn't have to move the camera away from my face
...which I didn't check yet if it is possible

EDIT: still not possible

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0