Upcoming Photo/Video Trip

Jan 22, 2012
The RF 1.4x on the 100-500mm focusses very fast, and the AF area in the EVF is much larger than for the 800 f/11. It's also more shower proof. Glad to be of help.
Dear AlanF. I got nervous about the $500 1.5 convertor. I am unsure about the loss in quality. I also think that small subjects very far away will have bad quality anyways. So, I will live with the 500mm magnification on 45mp camera which I can crop. I also have the Sony A1 with 200-600 mm on a 50 mpx camera. I would like to know your thoughts on this, please.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Dear AlanF. I got nervous about the $500 1.5 convertor. I am unsure about the loss in quality. I also think that small subjects very far away will have bad quality anyways. So, I will live with the 500mm magnification on 45mp camera which I can crop. I also have the Sony A1 with 200-600 mm on a 50 mpx camera. I would like to know your thoughts on this, please.
The quality of the pair RF100-500mm/RF2x I have is very good, and it does squeeze out extra detail. I reckon that at 1000mm f/14, it's giving the resolution of a 700mm f/7.1 lens. I do use DxO PL 4 (now 5) and it handles the noise of the higher isos very well, but other software might not. On the other hand, cropped 500mm is excellent and small images from it can be upscaled 2x with Topaz Gigapixel very successfully if you need more pixels.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It has been over 50 years since I was taking photos in West Africa, back in the manual camera and film days! My thoughts for you are: 1.) protect your equipment from weather. We had torrential rains in the hot summer and harmattan dust in the winter. High humidity can encourage growths inside your equipment! 2) Be ready for high contrast situations. Black faces with white robes required a bit of finesse when determining exposures. I met and worked with wonderful people.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
It has been over 50 years since I was taking photos in West Africa, back in the manual camera and film days! My thoughts for you are: 1.) protect your equipment from weather. We had torrential rains in the hot summer and harmattan dust in the winter. High humidity can encourage growths inside your equipment! 2) Be ready for high contrast situations. Black faces with white robes required a bit of finesse when determining exposures. I met and worked with wonderful people.
Will keep all of this in mind. The safari vehicles have a cover and I will ask them for extra plastic covers. January is supposed to be the dryest month but things are changing. Thank you!

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
The quality of the pair RF100-500mm/RF2x I have is very good, and it does squeeze out extra detail. I reckon that at 1000mm f/14, it's giving the resolution of a 700mm f/7.1 lens. I do use DxO PL 4 (now 5) and it handles the noise of the higher isos very well, but other software might not. On the other hand, cropped 500mm is excellent and small images from it can be upscaled 2x with Topaz Gigapixel very successfully if you need more pixels.
It would be rare when I would need the extra pixels. These photos are mostly for their website and not too large. In case of that very special and rare situation that something great happens very far away and I need to crop a lot, I will use the software you mention. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I am now flying to Los Angeles to pick up a lot of gear. Plenty of things like the drone/cards etc are not available in India yet for a good price. I hope that I am not boring you all. Just would like to document here for you all the steps I am taking for the job to be a success. :)
Just go ahead, it's certainly not boring, just the opposite!:)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Can anyone tell me the best settings for shooting the lodges at night (stills) where the lodge will be exposed separately and the sky separate for stars? Pretty please.
Actually, I'm curious about how long the trip takes, which airline you use, which hotel you stay at, and if you felt it's a good choice or next time, you'd try different companies. Such things like that.
I will write. I am at Dubai airport waiting to board the aircraft for a 15-hour flight to Los Angeles. I will keep updating this page. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0