Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R5 C

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Yep same with me. The R3 just made a lot less sense once Nikon announced the Z9. If Canon knocked the price of the R3 down by $1000, then I think it becomes much more palatable. At this point, I'm thinking the R5 Mark II (another 1-2 year wait at least) or the R1..
I actually prefer the image from the R3 to the Nikon Z9. While lower resolution it’s also less noisy and features more dynamic range than the Nikon. It also weighs much less than the Nikon. Meaning you’ll be more inclined to take it along. It a personal choice but for me the R3 is the clear winner.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
So, the IBIS question is confusing. Canon says, and it’s here in the published section CR provided:

• Coordinated image stabilization (with Canon lenses equipped with optical IS) helps to correct hand-shake and better anti-vibration performance than electronic IS alone
so, while apparently no mechanical body stabilization, it does at least have electronic body stabilization.

really, we’ll have to wait to see how well this works.
How well has it already been working? We do not have to wait and see. There's no IBIS on practically ALL pro cinemas cameras. There is IBIS on a few handfull of hybrid cameras. Not as if movies and content need IBIS to to be produced.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2021
I am blown away.
Huge video advancements with single downgrade compared to R5, and with minor price increase.
No IBIS is probably because the sensor is connected to heatsink which makes its fast flexing impossible.
I need to see how loud the fan is, and how juice hungry it is.
Conventional video cameras usually have battery connected externally which allows for a bigger on-body battery. Not with R5C, so external power is a must I'd assume.
Looking for real hybrid user reviews before replacing my really old SONY 4K camcorder

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Then use an R5. What about CINEMA do people not understand? As others have explained, Canon needed to remove IBIS in order to offer efficient cooling for cinema use.
Yet somehow Panasonic has managed to figure out how to provide active cooling and IBIS in the S1H that was released 3 years ago? I’m gonna call BS on Canon’s excuse. Canon also claimed they left out IBIS because video shooters use gimbals. I wonder who’s taking stills on a gimbal?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I am no video expert just getting into it, but none of their cinema cameras have IBIS that I am aware of, C70, C100, C200, C300, or C500. This is a video centric camera. What surprises me is the micro HDMI and non matching card slots, which would be fine if both could handle the video output which they can't. That is the head scratcher to me.

That being said it is hard to find a perfect camera. The C100 has the perfect form factor I think and I love an EVF. The C200 is a bit better, but 8 bit or raw are the only options. The C300 doesn't come with an EVF. Canon does not make an EVF for the C70, and the Zacuto models require power. The horrors the horrors. Ha
Cry me a river. Because some are unable to use or lack the skill thereof to use a gimbal or rack focus on a professional cinema camera, don't come preaching to us about it. Like those that can't drive an automobile with manual shifting. Use something else that you can handle . It aint your world today, we understand.

Upvote 0
Cry me a river. Because some are unable to use or lack the skill thereof to use a gimbal or rack focus on a professional cinema camera, don't come preaching to us about it. Like those that can't drive an automobile with manual shifting. Use something else that you can handle . It aint your world today, we understand.
I have no idea what you are talking about? I was merely pointing out Canon Cinema cameras don't have IBIS in response to another poster who insisted this camera should have IBIS to be consistent. You seem to be off on a wild tangent about who knows what.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
For me, this is really depressing. I'm still using my 5D Mark III from 10 years ago - not because I can't afford to buy another camera - but because I haven't found a camera that Canon has yet made that checks off all the boxes I need.
You need unlimited 8k long take recording and IBIS? Really? 4k recording with IBIS isn't enough? Short run 8k recording with IBIS isn't enough? What are you filming that you absolutely need unlimited 8k long takes...but also IBIS...so neither the R5 nor the R5c meet your needs? And you need this so bad...you're still using a 5D mark III with 1080p? You need unlimited 8k with IBIS for your films but you've been getting by, for years, on 1080p with no IBIS?

When the R5/R6 first hit I was one of the people who was very upset over the thermal limits because they made the bodies practically unusable for filming of any kind. Turns out that was bad firmware and Canon fixed it rather quickly. They still have thermal limits, but they aren't that much worse than something like a Fuji X-T4. For the way most films are captured/produced, they work just fine. And if you really need long takes, you can always add an external recorder which you would probably want to do any way for long takes.

The R5c trades IBIS for no thermal limits. They almost certainly had to make that trade off. You've got to get the heat from the sensor to a surface the fan can move air against, and that's a bit difficult when the sensor only has physical contact at four corners. This isn't "cripple hammer", this isn't Canon making a mistake (like firmware 1.0b1) or trying to make your life difficult. It's thermodynamics. And no, I don't want to hear about the A7s III. 12mp readout != 45mp readout. Same thing for a "locked sensor" mode. Even if Canon had that tech ready, it's not as good at transferring heat as you might imagine. You can't apply thermal paste every time the sensor IBIS is locked, nor clean it up when unlocked. And that means you still wouldn't have IBIS in some of the video modes.

The people who actually "need" what this camera can deliver don't care about IBIS. They're using gimbals or any number of stabilizing rigs. This is a camera for professional 8k cinema production. It is not a vlogging camera. It's not even really a hybrid camera. Canon has three of those already.

If you're still shooting a 5D mark III because it meets your needs, fine. It's still a fantastic stills camera. If you're passing up the R5 because you think you need unlimited 8k, and IBIS, and weather sealing...then you're kidding yourself and missing out as a result. If this camera not having IBIS or having stills compromises (i.e. dual-boot) upsets you, then you were never the target market for this camera. You should be looking at the R3, R5, or R6, with or without an external recorder depending on your actual video needs.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
It's true that not just any computer is well-suited for handling 8K, but you only need to spend $3-4k for a computer that's up to the task. 8K cinema cameras usually run $20k+. Off the top of my head, the least expensive option other than the R5/R5C is the Sony A1 at $6500.
Really? Is that the “only” other hybrid you can think of that can shoot 8K for cheap?

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I am blown away.
Huge video advancements with single downgrade compared to R5, and with minor price increase.
No IBIS is probably because the sensor is connected to heatsink which makes its fast flexing impossible.
I need to see how loud the fan is, and how juice hungry it is.
Conventional video cameras usually have battery connected externally which allows for a bigger on-body battery. Not with R5C, so external power is a must I'd assume.
Looking for real hybrid user reviews before replacing my really old SONY 4K camcorder
No IBIS because it's not a priority for professional cinematographers that are CPS members or that provide feedback to Canon.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
You need unlimited 8k long take recording and IBIS? Really? 4k recording with IBIS isn't enough? Short run 8k recording with IBIS isn't enough? What are you filming that you absolutely need unlimited 8k long takes...but also IBIS...so neither the R5 nor the R5c meet your needs? And you need this so bad...you're still using a 5D mark III with 1080p? You need unlimited 8k with IBIS for your films but you've been getting by, for years, on 1080p with no IBIS?

When the R5/R6 first hit I was one of the people who was very upset over the thermal limits because they made the bodies practically unusable for filming of any kind. Turns out that was bad firmware and Canon fixed it rather quickly. They still have thermal limits, but they aren't that much worse than something like a Fuji X-T4. For the way most films are captured/produced, they work just fine. And if you really need long takes, you can always add an external recorder which you would probably want to do any way for long takes.

The R5c trades IBIS for no thermal limits. They almost certainly had to make that trade off. You've got to get the heat from the sensor to a surface the fan can move air against, and that's a bit difficult when the sensor only has physical contact at four corners. This isn't "cripple hammer", this isn't Canon making a mistake (like firmware 1.0b1) or trying to make your life difficult. It's thermodynamics. And no, I don't want to hear about the A7s III. 12mp readout != 45mp readout. Same thing for a "locked sensor" mode. Even if Canon had that tech ready, it's not as good at transferring heat as you might imagine. You can't apply thermal paste every time the sensor IBIS is locked, nor clean it up when unlocked. And if that's how things worked, you still wouldn't have IBIS in some of the video modes.

The people who actually "need" what this camera can deliver don't care about IBIS. They're using gimbals or any number of stabilizing rigs. This is a camera for professional 8k cinema production. It is not a vlogging camera. It's not even really a hybrid camera. Canon has three of those already.

If you're still shooting a 5D mark III because it meets your needs, fine. It's still a fantastic stills camera. If you're passing up the R5 because you think you need unlimited 8k, and IBIS, and weather sealing...then you're kidding yourself and missing out as a result. If this camera not having IBIS or having stills compromises (i.e. dual-boot) upsets you, then you were never the target market for this camera. You should be looking at the R3, R5, or R6, with or without an external recorder depending on your actual video needs.
How does Panasonic do it? Are they just that much smarter than the folks at Canon? Or is this the cripple hammer?

Upvote 0
How does Panasonic do it? Are they just that much smarter than the folks at Canon? Or is this the cripple hammer?
I guess I will say it again. None of the Canon cinema cameras have IBIS. They could put IBIS in there but they don't. There is a reason. It is not a cripple hammer. A $15,000 Canon Cinema camera does not have IBIS. They are not protecting anything. If you want IBIS there is the R3, R5 and R6. if you want a cinema camera you won't get IBIS. Maybe you don't want a cinema camera and just don't yet realize that.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
No IBIS because it's not a priority for professional cinematographers that are CPS members or that provide feedback to Canon.

Canon doesn't say this is for "professional cinematographers", they say it's for "imaging professionals".

If it was just for cinematography they'd have left out the bizarre reboot-to-stills-mode feature.

Saying that I've really no idea who it's for...

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I can't find a single Panasonic 8k camera at B&H, not even in the pro video section, much less a hybrid mirrorless that does unlimited 8k60p with IBIS and weather sealing. Is there a camera that they announced that isn't shipping yet?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Absolutely. I think for a lot of people they expected INIS to be in kt because it was in the R5, and also for many having IBIS in it was one of those points that put them over the top on it and they’d pre order same day. I’m not in that group, but I understand the sentiment.

i have a c70, R6, 5DsR, 7D, & a c500 currently. I use them all in different scenarios. There are definitely times I wish the 5DsR had IBIS. So many times. I’m absolutely keeping the c70. For me the choice was this, or save for the R1. I’m definitely leaning towards the R1, will probably sell the rest soon, and pick up a second c70 in the meantime. But everyone has their hopes, and everyone has the specific specs that take a product over the top for them.

If i were starting out and did both photo and video, it would be this hands down. An amazing upgrade for a lot of newer / newish shooters. one body, amazing specs overall, get to save some money( if you’re in this price range anyway) to put into other gear for it.
Just how would those needing IBIS even survive in the pre stabilized camera world? I know, I know, you can't miss something if it doesn't exist but at least in Stills Land, we were more than fine...we had technique. Maybe it's too much caffeine with some ;)

Upvote 0
Boo hoo hoo another cinema camera with no IBIS.

Oh but look, here's how Canon advertises it on their own website:

1642618687479.png

They say themselves, it's a hybrid camera. If it's a hybrid and they hamstring photography, it's not a hybrid. It's almost as if Canon continues to misrepresent the R5/R5c as hybrids when that's not the reality.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I have no idea what you are talking about? I was merely pointing out Canon Cinema cameras don't have IBIS in response to another poster who insisted this camera should have IBIS to be consistent. You seem to be off on a wild tangent about who knows what.
Sounds like another example of someone shooting first and aiming later. Happens a lot around here.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0