Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R5 C

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
I’m going to go ahead and say it….Canon over values 8k.

There’s no telling the concessions they made to accommodate, but I would have loved this camera without the fan but with the monitoring and unlimited 10bit 1080 / 4kHQ. I’m sure there’s a few people using it but, it’s not practical, or honestly all that useful.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
I don't mean to suggest that IBIS is as big a change as horses to cars, but if that's the battle you want to fight then you do you. The point here is that there is no reason to move backward and there's no motive outside of profits to remove IBIS.
Except that, as you've been told, time and time again, the audience Canon wishes to target with this body largely doesn't need IBIS, and may not want it at all, as it is one more mechanical element that can fail in demanding usage/environmental conditions. I'm not saying you shouldn't want IBIS or be disappointed that this body doesn't include it, but the hyperbole being expressed about it in this thread is absolutely ridiculous, and I firmly believe that if it was a matter of profit and customer preference, they would put it in the body and jack up MSRP accordingly.

Upvote 0
Absolutely wrong I think. It's pretty obvious there was a reason to remove ibis. That being heat. Given that they had to re-engineer this camera specifically around heat dissipation, there's a very obvious issue with ibis, and it limits the size and functionality of any heat sink attached to the sensor. A bigger reason, though is that big red C on the body. That means it's a "CinemaEos" product and....welll...nothing in that line has IBIS...probably for reason # 1. Frankly, Ibis is always problematic in video...it never works right, as it is really designed to stabilize the sensor for stills. We all have to step back and realize this camera is always going to be a compromise because it is a hybrid. The lead feature is 8k, unlimited record times, and Cinema Raw Light. That's the camera they are selling you. I you want that...then you live without IBIS.

Let's see if Canon agrees with your assessment, currently on the front page of their website:

1642627125907.png

Looks to me like they're saying that the R5C is a hybrid camera "ready for anything". A hybrid camera with no IBIS isn't exactly ready for stills photography, especially at this price point.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I would gladly pay 500$-700$ more for ibis or ND, full hdmi and a solution where you don't turn off camera when switching from mode to mode.
Absolutely. I'm very disappointed. Much higher cost, no ND and the IBIS... really ? You took away what made the R5 a phenomenal camera. I need a second body and I have been waiting for the R5-C and now I think I might get another R5. Shooting interviews in a standard quality 4k is plenty of resolution. Since I don't shoot weddings or events, I'll stick with that. But I was waiting for another exceptional camera. The C70 might be a better choice for a filmmaker.... I guess. Happy to hear your thoughts.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI

There’s no telling the concessions they made to accommodate, but I would have loved this camera without the fan but with the monitoring and unlimited 10bit 1080 / 4kHQ. I’m sure there’s a few people using it but, it’s not practical, or honestly all that useful.
It seems like they should really have 8k and non-8k versions of stuff and let the market decide, and classify that as a premium/aspirational feature. Honestly I would love to replace 8k with 2k for when my output is 1080p so I could "oversample" but without having to go all the way up to 4k file sizes. Similarly, having 6k video for 4k output on the R3 is an awesome feature. I shudder to think what kind of computer specs are needed to crunch 8k 60p video....I have a VERY powerful laptop (desktop replacement level) and it struggles with 4k 30p ALL-I vids.

Upvote 0
It seems like they should really have 8k and non-8k versions of stuff and let the market decide, and classify that as a premium/aspirational feature. Honestly I would love to replace 8k with 2k for when my output is 1080p so I could "oversample" but without having to go all the way up to 4k file sizes. Similarly, having 6k video for 4k output on the R3 is an awesome feature. I shudder to think what kind of computer specs are needed to crunch 8k 60p video....I have a VERY powerful laptop (desktop replacement level) and it struggles with 4k 30p ALL-I vids.
well the new MacBooks are handling those files pretty well even with the pro chip.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
BTW - I don't think the R5 ever needed a fan at all. The 1DC never needed a fan - all it had was a very well designed heat sink. Ultimately the R5 just needed a better designed heat sink as well.
Thats true but the comparison is a bit off. The 1DC doesnt have 8k, and no 4k oversampled from 8k. It was just 4k, not even 60fps.
In normal 4k the R5 didnt overheat as well. But oversampled from 8k is a different beast. Also the camera is much smaller and much less space for a heatsink. So I tink for realy realiable 8k and 4k60 downsampled recording a fan was necessary. I dont think they added it for fun.
Also the camera is only like 30g heavier than the R5. So I guess its a bit bulkier but still very light. Its still much lighter than a 5D IV, and half of a 1d :D

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017

4kHQ is oversampled from 8k, so it needs pretty much the same power and generates similar heat. =)

Upvote 0
Absolutely. I'm very disappointed. Much higher cost, no ND and the IBIS... really ? You took away what made the R5 a phenomenal camera. I need a second body and I have been waiting for the R5-C and now I think I might get another R5. Shooting interviews in a standard quality 4k is plenty of resolution. Since I don't shoot weddings or events, I'll stick with that. But I was waiting for another exceptional camera. The C70 might be a better choice for a filmmaker.... I guess. Happy to hear your thoughts.
well considering the r3 is around 600euros more at-least here in croatia, that is also an option.
C70 is 300 euros cheaper, which also makes it more interesting if you are into a filmmaking, considering the price of cards to utilise the full potential of the R5c and the batteries you end up around 700 euros more for the r5c...

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Actually it takes ~5 sec:
as shown here.
I actualy like this clear and complete cut from photo mode. 5 seconds is indeed a bit long, but still ok for me. Maybe its faster, if sensor cleanup is disabled?
The mixed menu for photo and video was getting a bit crowded in the R5. I handled it okay with custom menus, but a clear divider between both modes is somehow quite good in my opinion =)

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
The reason why the pc struggles is likely because the CPU doenst directly support decoding of 10 bit 422 in h.265. another codec should work better. Experienced it myself. I pretty much hate the performance in premiere on my pc with R5 files. My macbook is much better, though I am not yet realy used to the OS, which slows me down a lot, after 25 years on a pc =D

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Well, we really don't know that do we? Others have posted plausible explanations as to why it might have been a design issue.
Yet Nikon and Sony have brought to market professional-level cameras capable of non time-limited 8K, and that have retained IBIS. If they can do so, why can't Canon?

The only conclusion I can reach is deliberate market-segmentation. They have decided to send out a clear message (with which I have no argument) that stills shooters and casual videographers should still go for the R5, and that the R5C is not in any way aimed at them.

Many stills shooters have complained here and elsewhere that there is too much emphasis on video features in modern cameras. Likewise serious videographers would much prefer that *more* emphasis was placed on video features.

Canon seem to have provided solutions for both camps - and they have kept the cost down by using a large percentage of common components.

It's a win-win for Canon and for Canon users.

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
I actually like this clear and complete cut from photo mode. 5 seconds is indeed a bit long, but still ok for me. Maybe its faster, if sensor cleanup is disabled?
The mixed menu for photo and video was getting a bit crowded in the R5. I handled it okay with custom menus, but a clear divider between both modes is somehow quite good in my opinion =)
Agreed. Acceptable tradeoff for me. A dedicated menu designed and optimized for video is a plus, instead of trying to make it fit into the standard menu system. In fact, I do get confused by the menu being used for both video and photo on all other Canon bodies, because it just hides and adds features depending on the mode. I Often find myself wondering where something went, and remember "oh I have to switch to photo/video to get said feature." Plus I think firmware updates will probably bring the boot up time down.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I would gladly pay 500$-700$ more for ibis or ND, full hdmi and a solution where you don't turn off camera when switching from mode to mode.
Nope, not hardly. You're in dreamland. Take the price of the C70 add the price of the 45mp sensor, the IBIS, newer heat dissipation for 8k60 and you're at the price of the Sony A1 or better. And for whom? Most professional photographers have more than one tool. Many of us already have and shoot with high res cameras, medium format and larger, have cameras with IBIS. So do I need another camera that has to have IBIS? Not only no, but hell no. I am never going limit myself to only one camera. Never as a musician limited myself to one instrument.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I'm sorry, but if you literally can't get sharp results with any mechanically sound lens without IBIS assistance, you're doing photography wrong.

I'm afraid that you are completely missing the point, i.e. that IBIS will enable users to use slower shutter speeds (for non-action subjects), thereby enabling the use of lower ISO and resultant improvements to image quality.

It is a matter of physics, that a non-stabilised lens will result in more camera-shake, and that IBIS and OIS (preferably both, working in unison) will increase keeper rates when using slower shutter speeds.

I use a 5DMkiv with stabilised and non-stabilised zooms and telephoto primes. I also use an R5 with IBIS, and I have found that with non-stabilised EF lenses, the IBIS alone provides at least 2 stops of stabilisation. When using stabilised EF lenses I get another 2 stops of stabilisation. With my RF 800mm F11 on the R5, I can produce very sharp hand-held images of static subjects at shutter speeds as low as 1/60th, thanks to a combination of OIS and IBIS.

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
I'm sorry, but if you literally can't get sharp results with any mechanically sound lens without IBIS assistance, you're doing photography wrong.
For me the R5's IBIS was a gamechanger because you had so much less camera shake while shooting handheld. Just reviewing photos during culling sessions, I've found so many more hits than misses than ever before. I was used to finding blurrier than originally thought photos going from camera display to monitor. Getting the R5 completely changed that experience. Also, the ability to capture some low light images handheld which would previously be unheard of on prior Canon bodies.

Upvote 0