Preorder the Canon EOS R5 C

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
You can now preorder the Canon EOS R5 C.
Canon EOS R5 C Key Features

Video control for the dedicated video professional
Supports 8K/60P Internal RAW Recording
Internal Cooling Fan Enables Non-stop 8K/60P Recording
Expanded Interface for Professional Needs
Carries on the Ergonomic EOS Design
Full-featured 13 Assignable Buttons
8K Sensor and DIGIC X Processor
Internal Cinema RAW Light up to 8K/60

Preorder the Canon EOS R5 C Body $4499

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
I mean, looks great but...

Micro-HDMI out. Seriously?
Guys Canon is *******.
typical canon mentality of castrating, look at 90D which comes with Type-B micro connection while M6 mk2 announced alongside has Type-C connection.

That pricing is quite a lot lower than expected.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I think some people will be very happy with the price. I see $13k for a slr based video centric camera must not have flown too well a few years back.

Edit: Hmmmm... no IBIS. That's strange, too me. I guess the video people use a gimble most of the time. Still, weird that IBIS was left out.

Does anyone else find that to be strange?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chrisrmueller

CR Pro
Oct 23, 2018
Instant buy for me.

My only disappointments are the Micro HDMI and the lack of IBIS, but this has everything else I could want out of a camera as a hybrid-but-video-first shooter. Got my preorder in, anyone see a shipping date anywhere?
I preordered from Adorama and I think it said shipping at the end of March.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
The ~$4500 price is a good enough choice for those wanting this over the R5. 8K 60P is a good upgrade spec for those who want it. While I'm not a video shooter, I have shot long 8K raw videos on a tripod for the sole purpose of capturing occasional hummingbirds near a feeder, where I can pull single 8K raw images out for photo use (OK, not full 3:2 but close enough for this special use). Doing this via a single video file makes it tolerable for me to do, as I don't know how you could do this as a continuous 20 FPS shooting at full raw size and later play the zillion individual files as if they were a video. If anyone knows how to make this easy, please let me know so I could do it instead.

As far as no IBIS, I assume this is only when shooting video, correct? If there is no IBIS in single/continuous photo mode then this would be worthless to me as a stills shooter.

Since my needs are for a new & better 2nd mostly-photo body (in a smaller non-gripped size) to complement my R5, I'll pass on the R5C and wait to see what other bodies come out in the next year. But I'm really happy that Canon has come out with this. If I instead wanted my first RF body, this would be worth getting now over the R5.

Upvote 0

pmjm

R5, 1DX Mk II, 5D Mk IV, four 90D's
Sep 8, 2016
No IBIS, no buy.
I was hoping for IBIS. But I have trouble with it on the R5. Weird wobbles when shooting wider than, say, 35mm.

For a video-first camera, lack of IBIS isn't a dealbreaker as you're usually on a rig, gimbal or other stabilizer anyway. If you're more of a photo shooter and need IBIS, get the R5 or R6.

Upvote 0

pmjm

R5, 1DX Mk II, 5D Mk IV, four 90D's
Sep 8, 2016
I do 60% still shooting and 40% video. Hoping to increase video use to probably 50/50 at some point to work real estate video, maybe even some Vlogging for fun. I ordered this camera but now considering R5 instead. Is lack of IBIS a big deal? This will be my first proper camera. Thanks so much!
If you're vlogging on a wide-angle lens, IBIS can cause some issues. These are well documented on YouTube. There's still OIS in many lenses and digital stabilization in the R5C with a 1.1X crop. But if you're more photo focused, the R5 is probably a better way to go. You can still do amazing video with it at 1080p, 4K Standard or 4K downsampled crop without overheating, and you'll still be able to do 4KHQ or 8K in bursts or longer with an external recorder. Biggest limitations of the R5 are the 30 minute software-record-limit and the overheating on internal 4KHQ and 8K.

Upvote 0
Lack of ibis is lame. As for the price point, you would really have to be fairly market blind to be charging more than 4500. It's an R5 with a fan and a digital hot shoe (software that exists already for the most part). There was no reason to take the ibis away, you could do a lock or even add a button. Just seems more like cost cutting and theatrics.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
The ~$4500 price is a good enough choice for those wanting this over the R5. 8K 60P is a good upgrade spec for those who want it. While I'm not a video shooter, I have shot long 8K raw videos on a tripod for the sole purpose of capturing occasional hummingbirds near a feeder, where I can pull single 8K raw images out for photo use (OK, not full 3:2 but close enough for this special use). Doing this via a single video file makes it tolerable for me to do, as I don't know how you could do this as a continuous 20 FPS shooting at full raw size and later play the zillion individual files as if they were a video. If anyone knows how to make this easy, please let me know so I could do it instead.

As far as no IBIS, I assume this is only when shooting video, correct? If there is no IBIS in single/continuous photo mode then this would be worthless to me as a stills shooter.

Since my needs are for a new & better 2nd mostly-photo body (in a smaller non-gripped size) to complement my R5, I'll pass on the R5C and wait to see what other bodies come out in the next year. But I'm really happy that Canon has come out with this. If I instead wanted my first RF body, this would be worth getting now over the R5.
NO IBIS at all, fortunately most EF and RF lenses do come with Lens based IS.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I bet that's a heat constraint. If the sensor moves, it can't be bonded to a heat sink. IBIS isn't as useful for serious video work, and I'd think it'd be a choice between that and 8k.
Makes sense if the sensor is the main heat source. I have read (though I don’t know if it’s true) that the main heat issues arise from the media card(s).

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
NO IBIS at all, fortunately most EF and RF lenses do come with Lens based IS.
Really? No IBIS at all, even with still photos? That (to me) is devastating! I don't know why Canon would do such a thing which I view as a "deal-breaker" for getting it vs. just getting the R5 or waiting for the next R5 version (with IBIS and whatever new stuff they add!). I'm just so shocked over that decision! I can understand if they can't get enough heat off the sensor with IBIS, but I'm just surprised that they couldn't configure it so that there was a really good air-flow around the IBIS unit which would keep it under control.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Micro HDMI, 3.5mm Mic input, visible fan built in, no ND filters. 4500$ ...

I was excited to see what this was going to be. I was going to pre order. I guess I will continue to wait.

Over $5K I just can't pull the trigger at this point..
How was $4500 a shock to you? EVERY Youtuber, EVERYONE here all thought it woulf be around 4500/4600.

Upvote 0
Makes sense if the sensor is the main heat source. I have read (though I don’t know if it’s true) that the main heat issues arise from the media card(s).
That has 100% been debunked. If you plug an R5 into a capture card or NINJA it still overheats even with the media card not in use. Even more you can take the CFexpress OUT and it still overheats with a capture card. If you have it set to turn the monitor and evf off however it doesn't overheat.

Upvote 0