Canon’s roadmap includes 32 new lenses by 2026 according to Canon’s CEO

Jun 27, 2013
Pune
I would love to see a 200 F4 1:1 macro that has an IS system like the RF100-500, but I don't expect to upgrade my EF180mm to that. I like the EF-RF filter adapter a lot, it makes using a polarizer very easy and more importantly, I don't think I want to spend €2000+ on that lens.
I used to borrow both 180mm Macros(Sigma 2.8 and Canon 3.5) from my friends for butterflying so I would be more than happy to purchase 180/200mm Macro for RF. 200mm f4 with Is would be perfect light weight replacement to old Ef 180mm Macro.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
32 is a big number. That's a lens every 45 days for four years, which seems, well, unlikely. If some of these are DS versions of primes released at the same time, and three different color SKUs for a future set of crop lenses, etc., it's still a lot of lenses.

At the end of this process, RF would have more than half of the peak of the EF mount - which itself blew away all the other first-party mount systems.
Five years. These are marketing people. If they meant the beginning of 2026 they’d have said “2025”.

Upvote 0
Five years. These are marketing people. If they meant the beginning of 2026 they’d have said “2025”.
The materials released actually said by end of 2025. I wrote "by 2026" to indicate it would be the year previous. Not that I expect that in reality, but it does set their goals down in writing.

However...
This is the same CEO that indicated four years ago that his top priority for the imaging division was to accelerate the pace of product launches. Body launches have about kept apace, unless you count EF-S and M mount, in which case they actually slowed significantly. Lens launches did go up by about 2 per year due to the RF switchover.

The big question, of course, remains manufacturing capacity. This could get further strained as more people move to R mount from EF mount, increasing demand. There was a honeymoon period where I could buy whatever RF lenses I wanted because it was mostly early adopters piling in. If more than half of Canon shooters are using EF bodies, we can expect, eventually, a more-than-doubling of lens demand. Even without parts supply issues, it would be a tall order.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

InchMetric

CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
The materials released actually said by end of 2025. I wrote "by 2026" to indicate it would be the year previous. Not that I expect that in reality, but it does set their goals down in writing.
Thanks. I stand corrected. I wish that information didn’t get changed by reporters.

Upvote 0

InchMetric

CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
One "We're sorry, you'll have to wait a year before you can get one" announcement every 45 days for the next 4 years :)
Everyone who orders on the first day gets theirs in the first batch. Always. The whiners sit in their hands awaiting an “in stock” notice that doesn’t come for a year.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The 28-70/2.0 was a good example of this.
A complete F2 trinity would be quite a statement. I'm still tempted by the 28-70mm F2 but whenever I think about a possible 70-135mm F2 or 14-28mm F2 I wanna keep waiting for either one of them.

I'd suggest at the three most important prime focal lengths, 35/50/85, we might need two PRO lenses: 50/1.2 and 50/1.4, 85/1.2 and 85/1.4, etc.
I´d add a fourth very important prime focal length in form of at least one UWA fast prime. Sony has an excellent 14mm and a great 20mm, Canon has neither. 20mm F1.4 L and 20mm F2.8 (with a strong focus on compact size) could/ should both be developed. For the 14mm focal I believe one L option should be enough because there already is a 16mm F2.8.

Anyway that's a lot of lenses that I think are needed.
I agree, it is fun thinking about them :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Everyone who orders on the first day gets theirs in the first batch. Always. The whiners sit in their hands awaiting an “in stock” notice that doesn’t come for a year.
Not with the EOS R3. Those who ordered (from B&H, at least) in the first ~3 hours did receive their cameras from the first allotment, but those who ordered later in the morning had to wait.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Not here on .nl, I ordered both the R5 and RF100 macro a few minutes after the stores put them online, at multiple stores. One store called to say they would receive a batch of 10 R5s and no new batches for a few months and I was 30th on their list.
I did manage to get both the R5 and RF100 by keeping an eye on Canon Direct at canon.nl, things pop up as 'in stock' from time to time and as opposed to canon.com, they are actually in stock.

I did get the RF100-500 from a regular store, but I had preordered it at 3 different places, only one had one for me in the first batch.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Not with the EOS R3. Those who ordered (from B&H, at least) in the first ~3 hours did receive their cameras from the first allotment, but those who ordered later in the morning had to wait.
I think priority for both R3 and Nikon Z9 was sports photographers as I have noticed lot more of mirrorless cameras while watching MotoGP race on last sunday, even many F1 photographers have been using R3 and expecting similar scenes from upcoming F1 race weekend in 2 weeks time.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I think priority for both R3 and Nikon Z9 was sports photographers as I have noticed lot more of mirrorless cameras while watching MotoGP race on last sunday, even many F1 photographers have been using R3 and expecting similar scenes from upcoming F1 race weekend in 2 weeks time.
Funny, I don't recall B&H asking me what sort of photography I planned to do with the R3. They just took my money and sent me the camera.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0