Canon’s roadmap includes 32 new lenses by 2026 according to Canon’s CEO

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
What would be the advantage of replicating the current TS-E lenses to RF?
Currently the R mount adapter provides additional features (vari-ND and CPL) avoiding external filters are prohibitively expensive and large without vignetting. Without adding more features to a RF version, they would actually have less features than adapting EF versions.

The RF 10-24mm f/4L USM on the roadmap would be great but again losing the features of the adapter would be questionable especially for people with it already.
That's true, but long-term, if people are ever forced to replace their TS-E lenses (for whatever reason), or are buying them for the first time bought into the EOS R system, wouldn't it make sense to have those lenses on native RF mount? The lenses themselves might not be significantly modified (I mean, they're apparently optically excellent anyway), but it seems to make sense, even if it hasn't been anywhere near the top of the list so far.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Interesting about the SPAD sensor , "Expectations are that this will find a home in security and other specialty use rather than in a prosumer application". Is this what the CEO said or is there some other source ?

Why wouldn't it wind up in photography cameras ? I would have thought being able to see colour in the dark would be very popular. :unsure:

Upvote 0
That's true, but long-term, if people are ever forced to replace their TS-E lenses (for whatever reason), or are buying them for the first time bought into the EOS R system, wouldn't it make sense to have those lenses on native RF mount? The lenses themselves might not be significantly modified (I mean, they're apparently optically excellent anyway), but it seems to make sense, even if it hasn't been anywhere near the top of the list so far.
Yes and no. If the RF versions are identical but actually remove the option of rear filters in the adapter then they aren't better. Canon could weld an adapter on it and call it a RF lens of course!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Canon desperately needs a solid prime lens lineup in L glass. Currently they have a massive gap at the wide end. The 50mm f1.2, 85mm f1.2 and 100mm f2.8 IS Macro are the only L primes available. Where is the 14, 24, and 35?
That RF 100mm L is not a good lens with its focus shift "feature" and its better to get EF 100mm L or Venus Laowa 100mm Macro.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
and all unaffordable, so why bother. Where the %^$k is sigma, Tokina and Tamron with their RF lenses.
Sigma, Tokina and Tamron and all third parties are laying low after legal threats from Canon, who obviously don't like the idea of buyers having a choice and having to compete for lens sales with other manufacturers. The benevolent masters at Canon have profoundly decreed you can either have extremely expensive L series lenses, or low end budget lenses that are still quite overpriced over their EF counterparts, and that's it, (but now they''re promising more goodies...)

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Sigma, Tokina and Tamron and all third parties are laying low after legal threats from Canon, who obviously don't like the idea of buyers having a choice and having to compete for lens sales with other manufacturers. The benevolent masters at Canon have profoundly decreed you can either have extremely expensive L series lenses, or low end budget lenses that are still quite overpriced over their EF counterparts, and that's it, (but now they''re promising more goodies...)
I think you mean Nikon as it was Nikon who had won lawsuit against Sigma and due to patent conflicts Sigma didnt release their 70mm Art Macro for F mount. Also with L and E mounts all these manufacturers have to do is pay for license fee and not spend money and time in reverse engineering protocols which is significantly cheaper.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
Interesting promise, 32 lenses in 4 years, or a lens every 45 days... Based on what we've seen, the long marketing hype lead-up periods, then the weeks to months of delays in stock availability, I kind of doubt Canon can deliver that if they operate the way they have been.

If we're objective about this, and go from past experience, we have an idea of what to expect.

There will probably be a whole range of f/1.4 lenses in various focal lengths, they'll probably be L series lenses, which may be around 10% better then their predecessors in IQ, and cost 40-60% more.

Similarly, there will likely be a range of budget lenses to take the place of the old entry level EF and EF-S lenses, they will defnitely be built down to a price. We'll see a whole new range of stupid compromises, so depending on the focal length, some of the lenses will be great value for money, while others will be of limited use.

Working in their favour, Canon now has additional cost cutting options.

They can use incomplete optical lens designs, and take advantage of the additional layer of abstraction that mirrorless cameras place between the user and the subject to hide optical flaws. The fanboys will claim it's to reduce costs, even though Canon will sell these lenses for more than their EF equivalents, even though they're likely cheaper to build than the EF lenses which have better optical correction, which increases the profits for Canon, and offers no financial advantage to the buyer. We'll most likely see more extensive of of cheaper PMo (plastic molded) lens elements too in entry and mid-range lenses like we've started seeing already.

The second cost cutting measure is using the R3, R5 and R6 sensor high ISO performance as an excuse to try to pass off darker (higher aperture) lenses to the market, so they're will likely be a range of entry level and mid-range lenses with apertures around f/8 and higher, for higher prices than their wider aperture (faster) EF equivalents.

The cheaper lenses will have features omitted, such as separate focus and control rings, and a single lens switch to select the two, as we've seen on a few RF lenses already.

Overall, there will be a slight, incremental improvement in most of the new lenses, with a few exceptional but overpriced, L-series standout lenses, and a few over-compromised entry and mid-level lenses. Perhaps, in a quest to try to add features in some L-lenses, the designers who brought us the multifunction bar control on the EOS R, the Spherical Aberration (SA) control on the RF 100mm macro, and the dead-slow AF on the 85mm f/2 macro might come up with a few more 'innovative' ideas that nobody asked for or wants, and we'll get a few oddballs and some lost opportunities. All of these new lenses will be guaranteed to be anywhere from unjustifiably more expensive to absurdly overpriced, depending on how Canon feels on the day they release them.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that we get some great new lens designs that don't cost the world, aren't just slightly improved rehashes of older lenses at a higher cost, and are popular and useful focal lengths and apertures! And keep in mind, Canon is there to make a profit first and foremost, so as they say, caveat emptor... ;)

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Interesting about the SPAD sensor , "Expectations are that this will find a home in security and other specialty use rather than in a prosumer application". Is this what the CEO said or is there some other source ?

Why wouldn't it wind up in photography cameras ? I would have thought being able to see colour in the dark would be very popular. :unsure:
The megapxels are quite low at this point in time

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Sigma is part of the L-mount alliance.
I do not think they are paying a license fee.
True but pretty sure they have paid entry fees for L mount Allaince along with license for E mounts both of which are far cheaper for Sigma so why would they even spend resources for closed door system where there is a risk of either litigation or cat and mouse game of firmware upgrades.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Only 32 new lenses? After the 8 new variations of 70-200 and another half dozen 70-300 zooms, plus 5 different 50mm primes, will there be anything interesting launched?
Still havent seen mirrorless replacement for 180mm/200mm Macro, 150mm Macro, from Sigma and Tamron hasnt even released 60mm Macro, 90mm Macro and 180mm Macro for mirrorless while they have discontinued their SLR versions. So for Canon as well I would much rather see a 100mm L 1.4x Macro without focus shift and SA control along with mirrorless equivalents of EF 50mm, EF 180mm, MP-E 65mm macros.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Still havent seen mirrorless replacement for 180mm/200mm Macro, 150mm Macro, from Sigma and Tamron hasnt even released 60mm Macro, 90mm Macro and 180mm Macro for mirrorless while they have discontinued their SLR versions. So for Canon as well I would much rather see a 100mm L 1.4x Macro without focus shift and SA control along with mirrorless equivalents of EF 50mm, EF 180mm, MP-E 65mm macros.
I would love to see a 200 F4 1:1 macro that has an IS system like the RF100-500, but I don't expect to upgrade my EF180mm to that. I like the EF-RF filter adapter a lot, it makes using a polarizer very easy and more importantly, I don't think I want to spend €2000+ on that lens.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Right!
50mm & 180mm macros, please!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
I have read a number of claims on the internet that Canon has made legal threats against third party manufacturers regarding RF mount lenses, but I have never known if it was true or just an internet conspiracy theory. What is your evidence that Canon has made threats? I would really like to know.

Upvote 0