Canon’s roadmap includes 32 new lenses by 2026 according to Canon’s CEO

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
32 lenses actually sounds very plausible to me. At the moment, Canon is missing an entire line of 1.4 prime lenses (L or non-L) for example. So, just for the fun of it. I imagine

F1.2 L primes
- 24mm, 35mm

F1.4 primes:
- 20mm, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm

F1.8 primes
- 20mm, 24mm

Count in one fast UWA prime lense (12mm or14mm???), the 100mm, 135mm (I guess L and Non-L) 200mm, 300mm primes (thx @Dragon) and five TS-E series lenses (thx @neuroanatomist) this already comes to come 20 lenses.
I doubt the 14, 20, 24, 35, 85 f1.4 primes will be non L. The lens elements are just too big for that and difference to the f1.2 counterparts in terms of f-stops too small. If Canon does make a f1.2 and f1.4 set together, the 1.4 will most likely include IS and be sold closer to 1.2 prices as an alternative to attract hybrid video crowd.

That said, I would be really interested in seeing Canon make a fully weather sealed f5.6 or f6.3 12-30mm UWA that can accept front filters. I have the 11-24 and it is great, but it is heavy and expensive, not fully sealed, and usually shot at f/6.3 or beyond.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If I recall correctly the announced-but-yet-to-be-seen TS-R 14mm would have autofocus, which is definitely a breakthrough and would require (if transposed to a 17mm, 24mm, 45mm, 90mm and 135mm TS) a re-design of those lenses as well.
Personally, I have no need for autofocus in a tilt shift lens. However, a great improvement would be if the tilt, shift, and rotation were encoded. That would enable automatic lens corrections in post processing.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
And a ban on insulting posts...
Ah, therein lies the rub: you cannot tell if a post is insulting in itself, as the perception is key. The person who is the 'target' of the post might not feel insulted, but bystanders (including mods) might. And vice versa.

Having completely "insult free" forums for discussion would be a futile exercise, and probably a not very interesting forum.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I doubt we'll ever see new TS-E lenses.

TS-R, on the other hand, I expect to see a few.
(this ass-u-me-ing that the E in TS-E means EF mount)
Of course there won't be no more EF TS lenses. By the way, I thought the "E" stood for electronic diaphragm, but I'm not 100% sure about that.
I meant TS-R, just forgot how they would be named.
Ooops, I just noticed Neuroanatomist was faster...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com
Personally, I have no need for autofocus in a tilt shift lens. However, a great improvement would be if the tilt, shift, and rotation were encoded. That would enable automatic lens corrections in post processing.
As a user of a 17mm, yes.

But for the longer lenses like 90mm a autofocus could be a good addition to use such a lens (with slightly tilt) as portrait lenses too. Slightly tilted to get both eyes in focus with eye detection...

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
32 RF lens by 2026.
It's seems like quite alot considering how many exist already.
I assume they have plans for cheaper lens that the ones they are selling at the moment.
The price of the current RF lens are an barrier to entry.
They probably need a few combinations of Camera + Lens for < 1000$/Euros
Canon need to keep bringing new generations of photographers into the brand.
It may even be a camera without a viewfinder. I see a good few young photographers either not having a viewfinder or not using it.
They must from an iPhone generation.
I can't see myself giving up my EF lens so soon. They still seem very good and sharp.
Maybe the RF lens are even better but I'm not sure I perceive the difference.

Upvote 0
There are several EF non-L primes that will likely end up as RF versions. If they replicate the TS-E series, that's 5 lenses right there.
What would be the advantage of replicating the current TS-E lenses to RF?
Currently the R mount adapter provides additional features (vari-ND and CPL) avoiding external filters are prohibitively expensive and large without vignetting. Without adding more features to a RF version, they would actually have less features than adapting EF versions.

The RF 10-24mm f/4L USM on the roadmap would be great but again losing the features of the adapter would be questionable especially for people with it already.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2020
So, for 2022 it seems there will be the RF 800 and RF 1200. Plus, a DO SuperTele as well. If a crop body is released, there will likely be a lens or two dedicated to that new body. That leaves three or four lenses for 2022. Assuming one or two cine lenses, that may not leave anything of interest for me this year. Time will tell. At this point, other than a really compact mid-zoom, there may not be much that would interest me anyway. Canon has already covered most of what I want with the existing RF lens line.

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
and all unaffordable, so why bother. Where the %^$k is sigma, Tokina and Tamron with their RF lenses.
Problem is with the reverse engineering of autofocus accuracy, not to mention any firmware update can potentially break the autofocus. Making it for the RF mount takes time, effort, and technical legality issues. I am sure if Canon and Nikon wanted to, they could sue for patent infringement and stop all electronically controlled 3rd party lenses from their mounts. It is just PR blowback would be bad that they are not doing it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Where does the report say RF, other than in the added headline? An EF-M or two perchance?
The presentation (and notes) are all in the context of EOS R bodies and RF lenses, so I think it's a fair assumption that the projected lenses being referred to are RF mount. That's absolutely not to say that there won't be EF-M lenses released as well.

There has been discussion in other threads about the likelihood that the M series will continue for a number of years (high), and that there could well be updated M series bodies (and lenses) released to keep the series at least looking fresh. What there (probably) won't be is any significant development of new M series bodies or lenses. There are rumours of RF mount APS-C bodies this year, and announcements on those (including size, cost, mount etc) will tell us a lot about the medium term future of the M series.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0