Dragonflies and Damselflies

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Common Darters are the most common at present. Here's one close up with the 100-500mm at 1000mm.

View attachment 200675
Great shot Alan!
I didn't visit this topic for a wile - simply because I don't have any new photos of dragons so far. A lot of great photos around (and it would be nice workout to put thumb up for all of them:)!) but this one grabbed my attention because the lens... You really did find the lens that covers most of your interest without pressing you to drag a heavy backpack!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
This one is from a while back, and it's the shot that killed my 1D X (the main PCB failed right after this image).

View attachment 202114
EOS 1D X, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM, f/10, 1/320 s, ISO 2500
A great camera... in its day. How I remember following the "Anything shot" thread with its amazing photos, with awe.

Are you interested in an R1?

Jack

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
A great camera... in its day. How I remember following the "Anything shot" thread with its amazing photos, with awe.
Still great. I recently got around to having Canon replace the PCB. I will probably sell it, not certain yet.

Are you interested in an R1?
Depends on the features and specs.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
The 2022 season has begun.
I suppose this is a common winter damselfly (sympecma fusca).
And I suppose I need to train my alignment of focus plane again ;)
I hope I'll find them again tomorrow.
I finally found the time to process the best pic I took the next day. And the focus plane is much better here :)
And I read about this very interesting damselfly. It is one of only two species in Europe that overwinter as imago.
And they can reach an age of up to 11 month as imago which is much longer than normal dragonflies and damselflies.
Really fascinating.

20220327_0012.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
My first dragonfly of the season, a Hairy Dragonfly, the smallest hawker, which emerges before the others. I haven't shot one before. It's so long that with a 1000mm of lens and standing 4.5 m away, it nearly filled the height of the screen.
Wonderful catch, Alan.
I haven't seen this kind of hawker before, only in literature.

Upvote 0