Here are the Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R10

Andreasb

CR Pro
Mar 24, 2017
IF these mockups are correct, then its not a 7DMKII replacement, It would have looked more like an R6. This looks more low end and smaller, looks cheaper in price. How's the AF system will be my first question, buffer second, customizability third , electronic shutter speed 4th. Low end viewfinder with blackout? ssssss........

As for the buttons and layout, mf/af button I dont care maybe the button can be reprogrammed? In the back is where it starts looking different: On/off button on the right side? As an old Nikon user all I can say is finally! Have Canon moved the scroll wheel up to the joystick? Interesting that's a closer find with my thumb then currently on the r5/6, I could maybe like that. One scroll wheel on the back top right missing, BOOOOO! The proof will be in the pudding here, will look at first reviews before I decide to buy

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
If and it’s still if these are authentic pictures of the R7 & R10 then the R7 looks like it may also have the same mechanical shutter that covers the sensor when you power off thats on the EOS R, R5 & R6. The aperture looks full frame but the sensor APS-C.
The aperture is larger (not FF large though) to allow for IBIS sensor movement. The R10 lacks IBIS.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

fastprime

R5 | R50
Feb 10, 2021
I'd have been all over either camera if they took the A7C approach with a flat top to make it as compact as possible. That's what the R lineup is missing IMO - something you can throw in an everyday sling bag like a Leica or X100V. The M6 line was great for that purpose. Given the body design of these I'll probably look elsewhere for an ultra-compact setup.
Would love to see Canon's answer to the A7C.

Upvote 0
Can you? Have you ever tried out STM lens? Have you ever done focus by wire?
I have! With several different lenses?
And from this experience I can tell you that the limiting factor was not me.
OK, we obviously disagree on the usefulness of a physical switch for AF/MF. I'm sharing my viewpoint, which differs from yours.

Do I use it constantly? No. But as several others have already commented similarly, when you need or want MF in a hurry, it's nice to have a switch. That's it. No big conspiracy. Canon made a physical switch either because people use it frequently, or because people want to access it quickly.

I think, if I'm understanding correctly, your point is that no one will need or want to jump to MF mode quickly because a focus-by-wire STM lens is too slow and unresponsive to.... what? Do you know what shot they were about to take?

If you haven't found it useful, that's ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Looks very nice! Count me in. But what does 1.6x extra telephoto coverage mean? Focal length remains the same and the field of view coverage gets less, not more.
Back when crop sensors were new, people insisted on thinking of them as telephoto extenders. It took years to convince them that it was actually a sensor crop. Apparently Canon has decided to resurrect the unfortunate terminology.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Back when crop sensors were new, people insisted on thinking of them as telephoto extenders. It took years to convince them that it was actually a sensor crop. Apparently Canon has decided to resurrect the unfortunately terminology.
It's very misleading. The extra reach vis-a-vis the R5 is only 1.4x since the R5 has 45 Mpx FF vs 32.5 on the R7. Against an 83 Mpx that presumably will come out in the future, it will be the same. We will need wide telephoto lenses to take full advantage of the 32.5 Mpx.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Looks very nice! Count me in. But what does 1.6x extra telephoto coverage mean? Focal length remains the same and the field of view coverage gets less, not more.
Crop sensors are usually higher pixel density than FF sensors. Therefore, even though the field of view is smaller, there are more 'pixels per duck' on a crop sensor than a FF. The reaultimg image, when viewed at the same PPI will appear larger when taken with the same lens on an APSC sensor camera. And therefore it looks like it was taken with a longer lens. This is the 'reach' factor people talk about.

It's actually related to pixel density and not crop factor. But the marketing does not make that clear. The reach advantage goes to zero when the pixel density is the same on both the FF and APSc sensor you are comparing. For example, the R5 would have about 17mpx when cropped to apsc size, and any apsc camera that was also 17mpx would have no reach advantage. The R7 would be roughly co.parable to a 80-90mp FF sensors sor for pixel density.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Crop sensors are usually higher pixel density than FF sensors. Therefore, even though the field of view is smaller, there are more 'pixels per duck' on a crop sensor than a FF. The reaultimg image, when viewed at the same PPI will appear larger when taken with the same lens on an APSC sensor camera. And therefore it looks like it was taken with a longer lens. This is the 'reach' factor people talk about.

It's actually related to pixel density and not crop factor. But the marketing does not make that clear. The reach advantage goes to zero when the pixel density is the same on both the FF and APSc sensor you are comparing. For example, the R5 would have about 17mpx when cropped to apsc size, and any apsc camera that was also 17mpx would have no reach advantage. The R7 would be roughly co.parable to a 80-90mp FF sensors sor for pixel density.
I wrote that a few posts ago.

It's very misleading. The extra reach vis-a-vis the R5 is only 1.4x since the R5 has 45 Mpx FF vs 32.5 on the R7. Against an 83 Mpx that presumably will come out in the future, it will be the same. We will need wide telephoto lenses to take full advantage of the 32.5 Mpx.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
OK, we obviously disagree on the usefulness of a physical switch for AF/MF. I'm sharing my viewpoint, which differs from yours.
Of course, Canon designed this lever at that position for a certain reason: it is a good position for the majority of testers.
And maybe for you, too.
Maybe I am the minority in finding that position bad, but together with focus by wire I just don‘t get it.

And I come from the point of view, that I can do MF since I was using my fathers FTb

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0
Thank you! Looks like my 7D is being replaced, assuming the price isn't too "Canon-typical."

You're welcome. This short video was added 3 hours ago but was not available. I'll wait about an hour and check again. :) However, it is not live at the moment. I think it was added by mistake :)

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
For those who didn't see the video before it goes/went private, here's what I got:

15mechanical/30electronic shutter
1/320 flash sync
focus bracketing
4K/60 uncropped
4K/30 oversampled from 7K
Canon Log 3, 10bit 4-2-2, timecode, no 30min limit
Full-HD/120

Mostly disappointed about the EVF spec. Especially if it doesn't have a highspeed mode (100 or 120fps), which I kind of suspect it won't have :-(

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0