Here are the Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R10

pauloancarvalho

Skimboard athlete from Portugal.
Jan 3, 2020
You're welcome. This short video was added 3 hours ago but was not available. I'll wait about an hour and check again. :) However, it is not live at the moment. I think it was added by mistake :)
There were some comments on the video already. I commented asking if the R7 does overheat in video.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Crop sensors are usually higher pixel density than FF sensors. Therefore, even though the field of view is smaller, there are more 'pixels per duck' on a crop sensor than a FF. The reaultimg image, when viewed at the same PPI will appear larger when taken with the same lens on an APSC sensor camera. And therefore it looks like it was taken with a longer lens. This is the 'reach' factor people talk about.

It's actually related to pixel density and not crop factor. But the marketing does not make that clear. The reach advantage goes to zero when the pixel density is the same on both the FF and APSc sensor you are comparing. For example, the R5 would have about 17mpx when cropped to apsc size, and any apsc camera that was also 17mpx would have no reach advantage. The R7 would be roughly co.parable to a 80-90mp FF sensors sor for pixel density.
With no disrespect to @AlanF, there’s an old expression about teaching your grandmother to suck eggs. That’s what you’re doing here.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

pauloancarvalho

Skimboard athlete from Portugal.
Jan 3, 2020
For those who didn't see the video before it goes/went private, here's what I got:

15mechanical/30electronic shutter
1/320 flash sync
focus bracketing
4K/60 uncropped
4K/30 oversampled from 7K
Canon Log 3, 10bit 4-2-2, timecode, no 30min limit
Full-HD/120

Mostly disappointed about the EVF spec. Especially if it doesn't have a highspeed mode (100 or 120fps), which I kind of suspect it won't have :-( )
Are you sure it has no 30min limit? Didn't catch that one on the video.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
For those who didn't see the video before it goes/went private, here's what I got:

1/320 flash sync
focus bracketing
4K/60 uncropped
Full-HD/120

Mostly disappointed about the EVF spec. Especially if it doesn't have a highspeed mode (100 or 120fps), which I kind of suspect it won't have :-( )
More importantly, there is Rudy Winston in his Canon shirt giving us all that information.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It's very misleading. The extra reach vis-a-vis the R5 is only 1.4x since the R5 has 45 Mpx FF vs 32.5 on the R7. Against an 83 Mpx that presumably will come out in the future, it will be the same. We will need wide telephoto lenses to take full advantage of the 32.5 Mpx.
Of course you’re correct. But I don’t think it’s misleading. People that have more pixels per duck aren’t going to be upset when they find out that the wording describing how they got there wasn’t technically correct. They’ll just think, “Yay! Ducks! Look at the detail in their feathers. And half the price of the R5 too!”

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com

1/320 flash sync
focus bracketing
4K/60 uncropped
Full-HD/120

Also (not unexpected) I think the small print when showing electronic shutter said 12bit RAW. Wish it was more bits, but without a stacked sensor I guess we have to live with that.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2015
Initial impressions on R10 not already dtd
  • The R10 with 18-150 looks about the same size as an SL3/rebel with the 18-55 ef-s mounted
  • The 18-45 is sort of a zoom pancake. 2.7 inch projecting from body.
  • The 16 2.8 RF looks like a good 2nd lens for someone getting an M10.
  • The R10 seems a step back, even for entry level. It just looks stodgy. It better be cheap.
  • The 2 lenses are very likely imho to be cruddy optics fixed in camera.
  • Perhaps the M will continue as Japan-only, since it sells well there?
  • At the beginning Canon was showing us what nifty ideas they could implement with the new R system. Now with the R10 they are showing us how cheap and uninspiring they can be with the R mount and in-body lens extreme image correction and de-warping, with better high-ISO enabling ever crappier slow kit lenses.
Update 5/25: fwiw, After seeing the intro videos and some (small) sample images I've revised my opinion way upward. ...fwiw. :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Of course you’re correct. But I don’t think it’s misleading. People that have more pixels per duck aren’t going to be upset when they find out that the wording describing how they got there wasn’t technically correct. They’ll just think, “Yay! Ducks! Look at the detail in their feathers. And half the price of the R5 too!”
It's not misleading to those who know what is going on. But, there's an awfully large number who don't, and you can see their posts here and in other forums (especially M4/3).

Upvote 0
Pics look interesting.

Something I don't get:
That AF/MF switch on the front side. I wouldn't want to have it there.
Why there? Why at all?
If it isn't on the RF-S lenses anymore, then make it SW in the camera menu.
This is a good sign. May be we'll see more chip RF-S lenses in the future

Upvote 0