Canon teases Canon EOS R8 and Canon EOS R50 announcement happening this week

Jul 21, 2010
My experience with the EOS R was actually very +ve. The image is not as seamless as through a DSLR pentaprism, but the WYSIWYG aspect, and things like a histogram overlay have more than made up for that. I couldn't really go back now.
The R3 has an excellent EVF, but it’s still not as good as a 1-series pentaprism from an optical standpoint. But I agree that the EVF benefits far outweigh the difference. Not just the overlays, although those are useful. The exposure sim + DoF preview mode means WYS really is WYG. Even more important (to me) is that image sensor-based focusing allows AF anywhere in the frame.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
The R3 has an excellent EVF, but it’s still not as good as a 1-series pentaprism from an optical standpoint. But I agree that the EVF benefits far outweigh the difference. Not just the overlays, although those are useful. The exposure sim + DoF preview mode means WYS really is WYG. Even more important (to me) is that image sensor-based focusing allows AF anywhere in the frame.
Yep. Those features do make me drool. It would be nice to not hold the DoF button constantly/repeatedly while crawling around the forest floor. And AF throughout the frame would help compensate for my erratic panning of BIF.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Any of you also think the design of canon camera is terrible?

like fuji or sony, their camera is in a much cooler shape while canon is still old fashion alike camera, whole feel is so bulky and stupid.
Your comments might be a bit clumsy and extreme but didn’t warrant the response they received. Unfortunately that is a trademark of some on this forum.

No, I don’t think the Canon R series is a terrible design. Quite the contrary. I think they are a good example of form follows function, which is to say they are nicely designed. I also think the Fuji Pro is nicely designed, though I would not buy it.

On the other hand, as I mentioned previously I think the RF-s lens design is god-awful. It looks like what it is, an afterthought designed to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Back on the R8 - the reviews reminded me of the R6 II's 'pre-buffer' - where it keeps images in memory when you half-press the shutter, recording the last 15 frames to the card on the full press. This is supposed to capture half a second's worth of action. Not that I would personally use it very often - but does anyone have practical experience of using this feature on the R6 II? It sounds like a bit of a revelation where you're waiting for a particular 'moment'.
I used it on the M6II and it’s clunky to use: you have to enable not one, but two menu items to activate it and keep holding down the shutter halfway to activate the pre-capture.
When you’re finished shooting, you can’t use the camera till the whole buffer has been written to card. That can take half a minute.
And the result is a single file that only DPP4 can read and DPP4 has no ‘extract all frames’ option. The fastest option is to use your camera to extract the frame you want and save that as CR3. Again, no ‘extract all’ option.

I stopped using it on the M6II because solitary bees are much faster than the rolling shutter when taking off :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

becceric

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
I used it on the M6II and it’s clunky to use: you have to enable not one, but two menu items to activate it and keep holding down the shutter halfway to activate the pre-capture.
When you’re finished shooting, you can’t use the camera till the whole buffer has been written to card. That can take half a minute.
And the result is a single file that only DPP4 can read and DPP4 has no ‘extract all frames’ option. The fastest option is to use your camera to extract the frame you want and save that as CR3. Again, no ‘extract all’ option.

I stopped using it on the M6II because solitary bees are much faster than the rolling shutter when taking off :)
Well, that procedure sounds more cumbersome than I had hoped.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Well, that procedure sounds more cumbersome than I had hoped.
The reason I don’t use it more often on the M6II was the rolling shutter, the pre-capture is still worth the hassle for situations better suited tomorrow.
Now with the R8 the rolling shutter should be vastly improved :) I do wonder why the burst mode is still listed as 30fps when the non-burst mode can do 40fps.

The R8 should be available at the start of the macro season this year, I’m looking forward to see what people can capture with it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
The reason I don’t use it more often on the M6II was the rolling shutter, the pre-capture is still worth the hassle for situations better suited tomorrow.
Now with the R8 the rolling shutter should be vastly improved :) I do wonder why the burst mode is still listed as 30fps when the non-burst mode can do 40fps.

The R8 should be available at the start of the macro season this year, I’m looking forward to see what people can capture with it.
Burst mode is limited to 30 FPS on the R6 II as well

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Unfortunately I also seem to be in the minority by having visual difficulties using EVFs. While I’d love to get the benefits of the R series, I guess I’ll be sticking with the 5DMKIV for a while.
I'm in the same minority.
I own an R, so I'm able to focus precisely my vintage lenses. But for the rest: 5 D IV
The R series is in many aspects superior to the DSLRs, but not the view through its EVF. Even the latest EVFs (R5, A1, SL 2 ) lag behind the OVF in terms of contrast mastering, definition and "realism". Yet, my next camera will be a mirrorless with absolute certainty. EVFs simply have too many advantages, not to mention the new camera bodies...

Upvote 0

becceric

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
I'm in the same minority.
I own an R, so I'm able to focus precisely my vintage lenses. But for the rest: 5 D IV
The R series is in many aspects superior to the DSLRs, but not the view through its EVF. Even the latest EVFs (R5, A1, SL 2 ) lag behind the OVF in terms of contrast mastering, definition and "realism". Yet, my next camera will be a mirrorless with absolute certainty. EVFs simply have too many advantages, not to mention the new camera bodies...
Locally, we only have a Best Buy with one forlorn R sitting on display. When I visit, it (the camera) rarely has power. It sounds like I’ll need a minor road trip to view the new models.
The skies last night were finally clear for some star gazing. While enjoyable with my OVF, I was wondering how viewing with an EVF would be. I’d like to know if you’ve tried the R for the stars.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Locally, we only have a Best Buy with one forlorn R sitting on display. When I visit, it (the camera) rarely has power. It sounds like I’ll need a minor road trip to view the new models.
The skies last night were finally clear for some star gazing. While enjoyable with my OVF, I was wondering how viewing with an EVF would be. I’d like to know if you’ve tried the R for the stars.
I tried to use the R for pictures of stars (as a beginner!).
The EVF showed such a coarse view that I replaced the R with the 5 D IV, BUT used the lens as focused on the R. The loupe function of EVFs is great! Manual focusing is much easier and absolutely precise. If I did more astro, I'd immediately get an R5 or R6 II !
The pictures, due to my lack of "astro" experience immediately rejoined the bin...
PS: why don't you take your loaded battery to the Best Buy to test the R5?

Upvote 0

becceric

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
I tried to use the R for pictures of stars (as a beginner!).
The EVF showed such a coarse view that I replaced the R with the 5 D IV, BUT used the lens as focused on the R. The loupe function of EVFs is great! Manual focusing is much easier and absolutely precise. If I did more astro, I'd immediately get an R5 or R6 II !
The pictures, due to my lack of "astro" experience immediately rejoined the bin...
PS: why don't you take your loaded battery to the Best Buy to test the R5?
Becase at my local Best Buy I only see an R on display. It’s quite a sad looking camera department.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Upvote 0
I have been doing a lot of research on the R8 and it seems like it will fit my needs perfectly...forgive me if this is somewhere within the 13 pages of replies here but I heard that there is a supply issue with canon getting them out in time (April 18). I was looking to purchase very soon but was wondering if anyone had any advice or insight on if April 18th looks promising. I don't expect it that day or even a week after or slightly later but was wondering if anyone thinks it will be much later than that for delivery?

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I have been doing a lot of research on the R8 and it seems like it will fit my needs perfectly...forgive me if this is somewhere within the 13 pages of replies here but I heard that there is a supply issue with canon getting them out in time (April 18). I was looking to purchase very soon but was wondering if anyone had any advice or insight on if April 18th looks promising. I don't expect it that day or even a week after or slightly later but was wondering if anyone thinks it will be much later than that for delivery?
If it is anything like the R7 or other recent releases, if you didn't pre-order, you will have a while to wait. If you have a local camera store, check with them on how many people are on their pre-order list. And then get on it as soon as possible.

Upvote 0
If it is anything like the R7 or other recent releases, if you didn't pre-order, you will have a while to wait. If you have a local camera store, check with them on how many people are on their pre-order list. And then get on it as soon as possible.
Thanks for the quick reply! I think im going to order it preorder through canon soon! thanks again

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
My photography days go back to the 1960's, when all cameras were silver!

Much later, it became fashionable to have black cameras, because they were supposedly more "professional" looking. As a wildlife photographer I want my gear to be inconspicuous, so I prefer black (or olive), and it bugs me no end that I have to fit camo-covers to my big whites!
The early Canons were nearly all mainly black bodies and chrome tops and bottoms https://global.canon/en/c-museum/camera.html?s=film as I recall were Leicas etc. The twin lens reflexes were also mainly black. The consumer models started to come in as silver. But, my memories go back to the 1950s when cameras were far more rare. German cameras ere the norm then.

My first "real" camera was a Konica FS-1. They were made between 1979-83. It is an all black body with matte silver shutter button and edge of the Tv dial. There were no threads in the shutter button for a mechanical cable release. If you wanted to use a cable release, you had to buy the electronic cable that attached to the terminal on the right side of the camera. There was also a radio controlled electronic cable release available with a receiver that attached to the same terminal. It had a "dedicated" hot shoe for the Konica X-24 dedicated flash and a PC terminal on the left end of the body.

It was the first mass-marketed camera with a faster than 1 fps built-in motor-drive that could go 1.5 fps. (Motor-winders tended to be defined as those slower than 1 fps, motor-drives were 1 fps or faster.) Konica claimed it had the most powerful microprocessor of any camera available in 1979 when it debuted. It runs on four AA batteries in the grip. You could get 15-20 rolls of 36 frames out of a set of fresh alkaline batteries. I've still got it.

1677963148886.png

I of course had wanted a Canon AE-1, which was all the rage in the mid-1980s, but that was a bit out of my price range at the time. The Konica was a pretty good counterpart, with shutter-priority and manual exposure modes. I got a pretty good deal on it used with a 40mm f/1.8 Hexanon lens for $145 at Camera World in Charlotte, NC where I spent the summer between college and grad school. They also had a used Kiron 28-210mm f/4-5.6 with a non-functioning zoom lock that I got on the cheap a week later when the Kiron 70-210mm f/4.5 Super Z I had ordered in Konica AR mount and prepaid for when I bought the camera had still not come in. For its time it was a remarkedly good "superzoom" lens. Sadly, balsam separation between two of the elements in the front group now covers pretty much the entire field of view.

It came with a 40mm f/1.8 Hexanon. About a decade later I thought the meter was malfunctioning badly. Some pictures were grossly overexposed, others more mildly overexposed, and some were exposed properly. So I bought an EOS Rebel S-II with the 35-80mm kit lens.

I later discovered the 50mm f/1.4 Hexanon was not stopping down at all when the aperture lever was moved. Well, that explained the varying amounts of overexposure! No matter what the camera or the lens aperture dial told it to stop down to, it was leaving the lens wide open!

Six months after buying the Rebel S-II I called the 1-800 number from an ad in the back of Popular Photography to order an EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Macro, and Canon off-shoe cord. I asked them if they had any used Konica AR lenses in the 40-50mm range. They did and we added a used Konica AR 40mm f/1.8 Hexanon to my order. I still have the receipt. The Sigma 70-300 was $269.95, the off-shoe cord was $47.95, the EF 50mm f/1.8 II was $69.95, and the used Hexanon 50/1.8 was $54. Shipping from NYC to Alabama was an additional $40! (but no sales tax, which was around 8% here at that time, so almost a wash)

It was my very first purchase from a company in NYC named B&H.

If I only knew then how much of my hard-earned money I would send to B&H over the next 25+ years!

I used the Konica occasionally while my main cameras from the mid-90s to the late 2000s were EOS film bodies.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
It sounds like they are porting a slightly longer version of the 55-200 ef-m rather than the EF-s. That saddens me as I had both and liked and kept just the 55-250 on an adapter for super light walk around m6 with 100-400 equivalence, but the mirror less design will probably be smaller, and more importantly, EF-M lenses can't be adapted to R, but people like me who like the 55-250 STM can just .. keep them

The EF-S 55-250mm is also about 10mm larger in diameter than the EF-M 55-200. With a compact camera like the R50, that's fairly significant.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
As an early valentines day, looks like Canon will give us Vlogging day -- two new bodies without evf.

Hope I'm wrong, but it looks like the RP and R will not get a replacement. The way the R line is settling out: if you want to move forward from the RP with a FF camera with EVF you will receive a percussive sublimation to the R6II price level. Anything lower will be covered by aps-c stuff and a evf-less vlogger in FF a la the R8.

So as an RP user I'm not feeling real thrilled right now. On the bright side, yeah, I get to keep my money.

Of course, this is just last minute pre-announcement apprehension; hopefully things will play out differently.
I'm hoping that the R8 is the RP replacement with an EVF, if it doesn't have the EVF then I might get a used RP.

As it turned out, the R8 falls somewhere squarely between the EOS R and EOS RP, both in terms of price, resolution, and features. The controls are even better than either the R or RP.

Upvote 0