Canon teases Canon EOS R8 and Canon EOS R50 announcement happening this week

Jul 21, 2010
Well you sound like a working pro, so your workflow is understandable. I am a hobbyist enjoying to walk around and maybe take a picture or two. Otherwise I would not be using 50 years old cameras today.

What I can assure you though is that I don't really care about how I look to others.
Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 4.06.13 PM.png

Ok, so I don't get to do much bench science anymore. Price of seniority. I do occasionally some microscopic imaging, and for that I use far more expensive gear than my own cameras and lenses (but I don't have to pay for the former with personal funds). Those latter items are purely a hobby, I shoot architecture, birds, and family mostly.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I have to say that's probably the weirdest looking lens hood (assuming that's what it is) I've ever seen! How much glare would it actually keep out? Not even sure what to say about the strap, which seems to have been cut from an old curtain cord ...
Lol. But it looks good, right? Function be dammed. Old curtain cords are sturdy and add just the right touch of ‘restoration hardware’ to complete the hipster look.

• Haha
Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
Both you and he have a point.

I like the looks of Fuji cameras and Canon's look like blobs...so you have a point there.

But looks don't translate to usability, and the Canon fits most peoples' hands well. And I am not taking pictures of the camera, I'm taking pictures with it.

And that's fundamentally Neuroanatomist's point: If you're fixating on what the camera looks like, you're missing the point of owning a camera.
While I agree, I consider that the “mom’s basement” statement adds nothing to Neuro’s fundamental point, just detracts from it with a needless insult to ryanbird. This repeated type of “final jab” undermines the normal civil discourse on these forums and becomes bullying.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
While I agree, I consider that the “mom’s basement” statement adds nothing to Neuro’s fundamental point, just detracts from it with a needless insult to ryanbird. This repeated type of “final jab” undermines the normal civil discourse on these forums and becomes bullying.
Well, when the original poster distinguishes themselves by saying "Any of you also think the design of canon camera is terrible? like fuji or sony, their camera is in a much cooler shape while canon is still old fashion alike camera, whole feel is so bulky and stupid." - I'm not sure that they can reasonably expect to avoid some level of sarcasm in replies.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Well, when the original poster distinguishes themselves by saying "Any of you also think the design of canon camera is terrible? like fuji or sony, their camera is in a much cooler shape while canon is still old fashion alike camera, whole feel is so bulky and stupid." - I'm not sure that they can reasonably expect to avoid some level of sarcasm in replies.
Maybe I should have just gone with the standard old chestnut.
1675995837954.jpeg

I figured I’d liven it up a bit with some relevant images of mine. I guess there’s no pleasing some people. We should be grateful, there are people defending much more appalling and egregious behavior than a bit of internet trolling like telling a forum full of people that their cameras are boring and stupid.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Insulting cameras and insulting people are different things.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
View attachment 207525

I figured I’d liven it up a bit with some relevant images of mine. I guess there’s no pleasing some people. We should be grateful, there are people defending much more appalling and egregious behavior than a bit of internet trolling like telling a forum full of people that their cameras are boring and stupid.
Not sure about that: maybe even identifying someone as a 'troll' is an unacceptable insult in some of the more sensitive eyes around here. Lord knows how those eyes react to 'discussion' on other forums around the internet.

I had BTW lost my 'Troll Be Gone' spraycan image - so thanks for the above!

Upvote 0

becceric

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
I definitely feel Canon’s shape serves toward better function and hand comfort, which therefore is not stupid. I do not feel that the quote is insulting since it just starts as a question of what forum members think. I also do not find Fuji or Sony’s shape attractive.

Again, I feel the “mom’s basement“ addition to Neuro’s response unnecessarily brings the conversation level down.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I definitely feel Canon’s shape serves toward better function and hand comfort, which therefore is not stupid. I do not feel that the quote is insulting since it just starts as a question of what forum members think. I also do not find Fuji or Sony’s shape attractive.

Again, I feel the “mom’s basement“ addition to Neuro’s response unnecessarily brings the conversation level down.
I don't disagree in principle - but I repeat: people who make that sort of post (ie in this case making generic and deliberately provocative statements about Canon) are often aiming to generate similarly toned responses, and can hardly clammer to higher moral ground when it occurs. My main criticism is that for responders to obviously 'be provoked' in their responses is giving the troll/poster exactly what they want. I therefore prefer varying gradations of sarcasm in replies, and that's what I'll continue to do in similar situations. I'd much more prefer for those situtions not to keep occuring, but I suspect they will ...

I will say, generally, that the tone of conversation on these boards has improved markedly over the last year or so.

Upvote 0

becceric

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
View attachment 207525

I don't disagree in principle - but I repeat: people who make that sort of post (ie in this case making generic and deliberately provocative statements about Canon) are often aiming to generate similarly toned responses, and can hardly clammer to higher moral ground when it occurs. My main criticism is that for responders to obviously 'be provoked' in their responses is giving the troll/poster exactly what they want. I therefore prefer varying gradations of sarcasm in replies, and that's what I'll continue to do in similar situations. I'd much more prefer for those situtions not to keep occuring, but I suspect they will ...

I will say, generally, that the tone of conversation on these boards has improved markedly over the last year or so.
Maybe I’m in the minority, but I’m rarely moved to respond to provocative statements about a camera or company. Insults (veiled or not) to people however are more infuriating. Over the past several months, when reading an opinion that I agree with, I’ve become more aggravated upon reading the “final jab”.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Maybe I’m in the minority, but I’m rarely moved to respond to provocative statements about a camera or company. Insults (veiled or not) to people however are more infuriating. Over the past several months, when reading an opinion that I agree with, I’ve become more aggravated upon reading the “final jab”.
And I'm sure you're not alone in that opinion (minority or not), which you're absolutely entitled to.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Back on the R8 - the reviews reminded me of the R6 II's 'pre-buffer' - where it keeps images in memory when you half-press the shutter, recording the last 15 frames to the card on the full press. This is supposed to capture half a second's worth of action. Not that I would personally use it very often - but does anyone have practical experience of using this feature on the R6 II? It sounds like a bit of a revelation where you're waiting for a particular 'moment'.

Upvote 0

becceric

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
And I'm sure you're not alone in that opinion (minority or not), which you're absolutely entitled to.
Unfortunately I also seem to be in the minority by having visual difficulties using EVFs. While I’d love to get the benefits of the R series, I guess I’ll be sticking with the 5DMKIV for a while.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Unfortunately I also seem to be in the minority by having visual difficulties using EVFs. While I’d love to get the benefits of the R series, I guess I’ll be sticking with the 5DMKIV for a while.
That's a shame - I had understood that the more recent versions are much improved over the early models, although I think the R8 is a bit more basic than that. My experience with the EOS R was actually very +ve. The image is not as seamless as through a DSLR pentaprism, but the WYSIWYG aspect, and things like a histogram overlay have more than made up for that. I couldn't really go back now.

Upvote 0

becceric

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
That's a shame - I had understood that the more recent versions are much improved over the early models, although I think the R8 is a bit more basic than that. My experience with the EOS R was actually very +ve. The image is not as seamless as through a DSLR pentaprism, but the WYSIWYG aspect, and things like a histogram overlay have more than made up for that. I couldn't really go back now.
I can imagine features that sound nice right now could easily turn invaluable. I used to be happy with full frame and a depth of field preview, but as camera feature lists grow, so do my “needs”. I look forward to trying demos of the various R series when I get some time off that coincides with the “local” camera shop’s hours.

Upvote 0