Canon to announce the EOS R100 and RF 28mm f/2.8 STM

While I think I’d never replace my Sigma 28 and 50mm with two budget RF 28 and 50mm lenses, I’d probably happily welcome two less serious options for casual photography.
I'm looking at the combo as a casual/less serious photography kit for sure. My typical kit is the RF 50mm f1.2L and 24-105mm f4L but at times where I don't want to carry all of that, the two small RF primes would be nice. Certainly wouldn't replace the 50L and 24-105mm, they would just add a nice alternative.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

davidespinosa

CR Pro
Feb 12, 2020
At a price premium of 50%, the R8 (USD1500) isn't quite in the RP (USD1k) market segment.
That is a similar price premium of the R6ii (USD2500) vs R5 (USD3900 although currently USD3400) so most people wouldn't consider them in the same market segment.
If the R8 was the replacement then the RP would be discontinued which it isn't (yet).
Given that the R50 is 2/3 of the RP price, I would estimate that there is space for a cheap ff camera... even without a EVF.

I guess it could happen, since Canon is putting out a camera for every conceivable price point.
It would have to be $1200, since the R10 is $879.
But if you want a backup camera, just get the R8 and be happy.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
... So then size is the next question: as you get more telephoto I think APS-C-only lenses could be substantially smaller than ones with a FF image circle...
This has been discussed many times on this forum. People who understand lens design better than I do, say that the determining factor in telephoto size is the front element not the image circle. As I understand it, there is not much of a size advantage in a APS-C only telephoto over a full frame. That's one reason why you hardly ever see APS-C only telephoto lenses.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
So then size is the next question: as you get more telephoto I think APS-C-only lenses could be substantially smaller than ones with a FF image circle. But for wide-angles there may be no notable difference.
As @unfocused says, you're completely wrong on the first point. As he didn't say, you're also completely wrong on the second point. A two-fer, well done.

Upvote 0
It’s already available, it’s called the R8. Only $200 more at launch with strong inflation in the intervening period. Takes the same battery, even the extension grip is compatible.
I would suggest that having
USD1000 RP
USD1500 R8
USD1400 (was USD1800) R
USD2000 R6
USD2500 R6ii
etc
is a good spread of ff price points. The reality is that the USD1000 ff price point is a key prize for Canon. With the R50 being 2/3 of the price of the RP then there is space for a cheaper ff body than the R8.

The APS-C bodies are not likely (in my opinion and excluding the R7) to lead users to higher margin RF lenses etc. Canon could use a gateway camera that could lure future purchases.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I would suggest that having
USD1000 RP
USD1500 R8
USD1400 (was USD1800) R
USD2000 R6
USD2500 R6ii
etc
is a good spread of ff price points. The reality is that the USD1000 ff price point is a key prize for Canon. With the R50 being 2/3 of the price of the RP then there is space for a cheaper ff body than the R8.
As I stated, the RP launched at US$1300. The R6 and R6 II launched at the same price. The R8 is the new RP. There won’t be an R II or an RP II. Sorry.

Upvote 0
As I stated, the RP launched at US$1300. The R6 and R6 II launched at the same price.
I wasn't refuting that. Only to state what is the current price/market segmentation so we are both correct :)
The R8 is the new RP. There won’t be an R II or an RP II. Sorry.
I appreciate your apology but can you point to where Canon has stated this?
I get that the R/RP isn't the current naming convention for R mount bodies so I don't expect a RP mark ii or R mark ii but there is space for a lower level ff body under the R8.
I have called it a RP replacement but perhaps calling it the R9 would make more sense

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I get that the R/RP isn't the current naming convention for R mount bodies so I don't expect a RP mark ii or R mark ii but there is space for a lower level ff body under the R8.
Sure there’s ‘room’. But personally, I doubt we’ll see anything but APS-C cameras launching into that price bracket.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
I’ve owned several RF 50 1.8s, but they’re still failing to convince me.
Wow m4n, I'm pretty surprised to hear that.

Looking at the MTFs I figured it was only a small improvement over the EF, which wasn't great. I bought one anyway for size, and mine seems to be just excellent. I have NO explanation for the following fact, as an engineer, and I'm embarrassed to say that, but the secret of hand-holding the RF50/1.8 is you have to shoot it at 1/2 to 1/30. Taking 10 shots at each shutter speed, I found the worst shot at each of the speeds from 1/2 to 1/30 inclusive was better than the best shot I got above 1/30.

That somehow might be a factor of my copy of the lens or the way I hand-hold. It's so surprising I should perhaps repeat the test...

Upvote 0

Looking at the MTFs I figured it was only a small improvement over the EF, which wasn't great. I bought one anyway for size, and mine seems to be just excellent. I have NO explanation for the following fact, as an engineer, and I'm embarrassed to say that, but the secret of hand-holding the RF50/1.8 is you have to shoot it at 1/2 to 1/30. Taking 10 shots at each shutter speed, I found the worst shot at each of the speeds from 1/2 to 1/30 inclusive was better than the best shot I got above 1/30.

That somehow might be a factor of my copy of the lens or the way I hand-hold. It's so surprising I should perhaps repeat the test...

Oh it’s not about sharpness, but more the fact that I’m used to higher-grade glass.

Not-that-fast autofocus, low resistance to flaring, not-that-atrractive bokeh…I mean, comparing the RF 50mm f/1.8 to a Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art it’s just unfair, they’re on completely different levels. I can’t blame the nifty-fifty.

I just don’t feel the same level of confidence on that lens.
I’ll probably buy it again someday, anyway.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

If you're using fully mechanical shutter, or EFCS in a burst on a body with IBIS, the 1/60s - 1/200s range is prone to showing shutter shock. On top of that, the R5/R6 firmware had a bug where it would rotate the sensor counter clockwise on the first shot to account for the twisting that happens when you mash the shutter button. But it would always rotate the sensor, regardless of the movement. Firmware 1.6 (or 1.4, I forget) fixed that issue.

The R8+RF50STM combo performs consistently better for me than the R5+RF50STM combo, but I think that's mostly due to being more deliberate.

Upvote 0
The R seems to be discontinued but Canon seems fine with just continuing with the RP as it is.
That does seem to be the case as the price seems to be permanently changed to USD1k. I don't have a problem with the price point but I guess at some point it will be discontinued and guess is that there is room for a cheaper ff body than the R8 given the R50 pricing and features.

Upvote 0