Canon to announce the EOS R100 and RF 28mm f/2.8 STM

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We thought that the Canon EOS R100 was coming later in Q4, but it looks like we’re going to see it much sooner. We expect a lot of similarities with the EOS R50 as far as the hardware inside the camera, but a lot of features omitted from the final design. Could this camera omit

See full article...

Jul 21, 2010
I'm suspect the "Off-camera shoe cord OC-E4A: $180" is an error (translation or otherwise). Seems very unlikely both in terms of cost and as a product to launch alongside this camera. I'm the R100 will not have an EVF (M6II/vlogging form factor) and I think this is a $180 external EVF for the hotshoe, which makes sense in terms of both price and launch strategy. I suppose the R100 could lack a popup flash and this could be a small/cheap flash like the 90EX. Or maybe even something new, an off-camera constant light source for video powered via the multifunction shoe. Time will tell, maybe Canon thinks there's a need for an off-camera cord despite the fact that there's not even an available flash for the new multifunction shoe, since they have delayed shipping the EL-5 until the end of June.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... the R100 will not have an EVF (M6II/vlogging form factor) and I think this is a $180 external EVF for the hotshoe, which makes sense in terms of both price and launch strategy...
Same thought here.
If it's really getting into the M6 II footsteps, it might even become interesting for me as a to-go small unit.

Upvote 0
Concerning the "Off-camera shoe cord OC-E4A: $180"
  • It's not a translation error: in the original post (from the guy who used to run Nokishita Camera) the Japanese text オフカメラシューコード is the phonetic equivalent of off-camera shoe cord ("Ofukamerashūkōdo"). Clearly the Japanese guy had access to an US product listing and translated it literally.
  • The off-camera shoe cord OC-E3 was introduced along with the EOS-1D Mark III and the Speedlite 580EX II flash. It has been discontinued.
  • $180 is a bit outrageous: IIRC OC-E3 was introduced slightly below $100.
  • What the "A" stands for in OC-E4A remains open to discussion.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
  • It's not a translation error: in the original post (from the guy who used to run Nokishita Camera) the Japanese text オフカメラシューコード is the phonetic equivalent of off-camera shoe cord ("Ofukamerashūkōdo"). Clearly the Japanese guy had access to an US product listing and translated it literally.
  • The off-camera shoe cord OC-E3 was introduced along with the EOS-1D Mark III and the Speedlite 580EX II flash. It has been discontinued.
If it's indeed the successor to the OC-E3, I bet it will extend the extra pins as well, so the elusive EL-5 will work with it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
If it's indeed the successor to the OC-E3, I bet it will extend the extra pins as well, so the elusive EL-5 will work with it.
So maybe both delayed EL-5 and this off shoe cord will be released at same time allowing users to select between RT trigger or cable depending on their need. At that price though would be waiting for cheap 3rd party alternatives to pop up or just spend on RT trigger(even if it fails at short distances).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
An R100 at this price point will fit nicely in the entry market position being left vacant by the discontinuance of the M line, which was very successful for Canon. Most buyers of an R100 will be coming from smartphones and likely won’t be bothered by the lack of a viewfinder. My guess is that it will be a big win for Canon.
Agreed. There was a recent report that the M50 II was discontinued by Canon Japan, and that was the last 'current' M camera. Given the popularity of the M line, having an imminent replacement makes sense, and the R100 is a likely candidate.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Thanks!

Introducing an off-camera flash cord with a high end body and a high end flash makes sense. Introducing an off-camera flash cord (for which there is no available native flash) with an entry-level body and lens, to me makes no sense.

I suppose it could be completely unrelated, i.e. Canon will 'announce' the R100 and RF 28/2.8, and just release the OC-E4A with no mention or fanfare at the same time.

Outrageous pricing from Canon would not be a surprise. :p

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
So maybe both delayed EL-5 and this off shoe cord will be released at same time allowing users to select between RT trigger or cable depending on their need. At that price though would be waiting for cheap 3rd party alternatives to pop up or just spend on RT trigger(even if it fails at short distances).
The ST-E10 is only $120, compared to $180. For me, the radio triggering works fine at short distances (e.g. with the ST-E10 on the R3 and a 600EX-RT on a flash bracket mounted to the camera or on a lens foot.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Something that I don’t think has been suggested yet is if this is indeed an off-camera cord, could it also be used with the new microphones that are powered through the hotshoe? I could see a cord attached to the camera that could extend to a small off camera boom.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
The ST-E10 is only $120, compared to $180. For me, the radio triggering works fine at short distances (e.g. with the ST-E10 on the R3 and a 600EX-RT on a flash bracket mounted to the camera or on a lens foot.
I tried few 3rd party radio triggers(Pocket wizard and Godox(apparently X2 might be better in that aspect but havent tried it)) and for short distances it would fail quite often, so these days I rely on built in optical trigger of my body(in case of multiple lights) or just use a off shoe cable for single light. Those radio triggers were very useful while shooting some shy wildlife(foxes and owls) from a distance at night.

Upvote 0