Canon to announce the EOS R100 and RF 28mm f/2.8 STM

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
I still don't get why Canon made the RF-S 18-45 instead of just making the same EF-M 15-45 in RF mount. Now they have possibly the worst kit lens from all manufacturers and no option to upgrade it.
There's lots of factors in a lens besides focal length range, though, no? Aperture, image quality, noise, focus speed and ability to track, manufacturing cost, profit margin, and even environmental concerns. (EG, radioactive elements were eliminated from lenses, then I believe lead, and that may have continued in optics or in other parts of the lens??) Could also be internal statistics for durability have gone up, etc. Just wondering aloud, maybe the 15-45 was no sharper than a smart phone so no-one would be advised to buy it? I don't know, I've never even seen either lens much less handled or shot them.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
Just please give us a decent standard f2.8 zoom for these apsc cameras, Canon!!!
I think the need for f/2.8 zooms is gone. F/4 is where it's at now. f/2.8 was great when viewfinder brightness was tied to f-stop, where most AF didn't even work at over f/2.8, where you needed the aperture to compensate for an inability to use slow-shutter or high-ISO, and other reasons that no longer exist. What I'd like to see is a seriously improved 24-105/4 for FF. The current one is as good as the EF MkII at the size of the EF MkI, but still it's a very mediocre lens compared to the 100-500, 50/1.8, 100Mac, 135/1.8.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
A guy named Roland Quandt, who posted pictures of the Panasonic Lumix DC-S5M2 and Panasonic Lumix DC-S5M2X on December 28, 2022 (both cameras were announced on January 4, 2023), posted some three hours ago four pictures of the Canon EOS R100 on Twitter:

View attachment 209241
View attachment 209242
View attachment 209243
View attachment 209244
As @koenkooi mentioned, they’re on Asibonet (which I presume is the secondary source for people finding things and posting them on Twitter, I believe this originally came from a chan board).

Upvote 0
Praying for that RF 28mm
I’ll take it, even if it’s a 2.8. I imagine it could be another twin to the 16 and 50 siblings
I’ve been waiting for a compact 28mm for a while. Perfect companion to the 50mm STM for a small and light lens combo. I have the EF 28mm f2.8 IS USM but once you add the adapter it isn’t nearly as compact as a 28mm could be. Plus I found the image stabilization performance to be pretty poor with my R5. The unstabilized RF 50mm f1.8 let’s me hand hold much slower shutter speeds so I’m hoping an RF mount 28mm will allow for similar performance.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I’ve been waiting for a compact 28mm for a while. Perfect companion to the 50mm STM for a small and light lens combo. I have the EF 28mm f2.8 IS USM but once you add the adapter it isn’t nearly as compact as a 28mm could be. Plus I found the image stabilization performance to be pretty poor with my R5. The unstabilized RF 50mm f1.8 let’s me hand hold much slower shutter speeds so I’m hoping an RF mount 28mm will allow for similar performance.
Yeah, a RF lens will allow better stabilisation, since its elements are closer to the sensor.
I’ve owned several RF 50 1.8s, but they’re still failing to convince me. However, pairing one of those with a twin 28mm maybe could do the trick, as I would be able to spend more time with the 28.
I’m already pairing a 28 with a 50, but on a different scale (Sigma Art).

While I think I’d never replace my Sigma 28 and 50mm with two budget RF 28 and 50mm lenses, I’d probably happily welcome two less serious options for casual photography.

Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
While I think I’d never replace my Sigma 28 and 50mm with two budget RF

Feel the same for my 50 and 135 ART; the first one will never be done by Canon (last 50 f1.4 autofocus dates 1993...30 years ago...), the second would be too expensive to switch it for the RF 135, which is stellar quality and has IS, but also cost 4 or 5 times more, while certainly non being 4 or 5 times better then the Sigma.

Only pain & agony is the damn adapter.

Upvote 0
In the meantime, I checked the japanese website and it states an EW-55 lens hood, which is smaller than that of the 16 and 50mm.

Could this, perhaps, be a pancake lens?
Only pain & agony is the damn adapter.
Oh don’t I feel the same…
I currently own the 28mm 1.4 Art and 50mm 1.4 Art, but in the past I also had the 35mm 1.4 Art — three lenses that still today have no direct RF replacements.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
In the meantime, I checked the japanese website and it states an EW-55 lens hood, which is smaller than that of the 16 and 50mm.

Could this, perhaps, be a pancake lens?

Oh don’t I feel the same…
I currently own the 28mm 1.4 Art and 50mm 1.4 Art, but in the past I also had the 35mm 1.4 Art — three lenses that still today have no direct RF replacements.
Well, no replacement for the Ef40mm which - I believe - is the only "pancake" lens in the Canon's EF arsenal or perhaps this is the replacement for the EF-S 24mm pancake ie a RF-S lens rather than RF.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Whilst I have no doubt that there is a market at the cheap end to replace the M bodies, I do wonder how much longer a replacement RP will take.
Clearly the 4 year old RP is good value for money even with even older tech but Canon is pushing the lower end RF-S bodies without addressing the RP segment. It seems a bit strange to me. Canon knows that sales figures for that of course.

The lower end RF-S bodies are not likely to entice users to get into the high margin RF lenses except maybe for the R7 so I would think that the RP (and replacement) would be a good investment for Canon to GAS users to buy higher end stuff... or as a backup for other FF bodies eg myself.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Also lacking the ISO button next to the shutter-release button, as noticed by asobinet.

that page has rumoured specs for R5 II which look quite wild(and it will certainly beat Z8) also Asobinet has published patents for new Tamron 90mm Macro which sadly wont be coming to RF mount.

Upvote 0
That is called the R8.
At a price premium of 50%, the R8 (USD1500) isn't quite in the RP (USD1k) market segment.
That is a similar price premium of the R6ii (USD2500) vs R5 (USD3900 although currently USD3400) so most people wouldn't consider them in the same market segment.
If the R8 was the replacement then the RP would be discontinued which it isn't (yet).
Given that the R50 is 2/3 of the RP price, I would estimate that there is space for a cheap ff camera... even without a EVF.

Upvote 0