Canon teases Canon EOS R8 and Canon EOS R50 announcement happening this week

Jul 21, 2010
Is the hot shoe Borked with no center pin?
Yes, the R50 has a multifunction shoe lacking the pins for direct compatibility with ‘legacy’ flashes (i.e., every currently available Canon flash). The EL-5, due to start shipping later this month, will work directly. All other flashes require the AD-E1 adapter.

Of course, the R50 has a pop-up flash and I suspect few owners would even consider mounting an external flash.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Has there ever been a camera before from Canon that came in two different colors? I don't believe I've seen that yet. An RF body with two different colors seems cool I guess. I have a feeling it'll be black or white. A white camera body would look sick! Watch it be like camo colored haha
-Cody M
Charlottesville wedding photographer

More than a few have been in more than one color, usually silver or white as well as black. The original EOS M was even available in Red.

1677975287041.png

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Wasn't the RP originally $1,500 USD?

In was $1,299 Body Only in the U.S. at launch, then moved fairly quickly to around $1,000-$1,100 depending on rebates and such.

$1,299 in 2019 is worth $1,520.09 today according the the usinflationcalcualtor.com

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Several of the Powershot compacts were available in red, blue, silver, and at least one had a truly revolting PINK option, so it's not unprecedented, although until now the interchangeable lens models have been spared...

Some of the EOS M models were also available in various colors.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
R8 is shaping to be a good little camera, but I would have personally preferred it to drop the viewfinder to reduce size and price by another $200 so it will match RP's introductory MSRP $1299.

I suppose we will get to that price point during Christmas with sales etc...

$1,299 in 2019 is about the same as $1,500 in 2023, once inflation has been factored in.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Essentially, if three bodies use the same battery, I only need one spare for all three. I'm unlikely to carry all three or even two of them at once, but at least I only need to keep money (minimal as it is) tied up in one spare. (And if I take thousands of pictures, then more spares, but at least I don't need three times as many to cover all cameras.) I just have to be sure it's in the same bag as the camera(s) I am taking. And yes, I do occasionally need to swap batteries.

Get a bunch of these and make a cross chest battery bandolier!

1677979373973.png

• Haha
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Any of you also think the design of canon camera is terrible?

like fuji or sony, their camera is in a much cooler shape while canon is still old fashion alike camera, whole feel is so bulky and stupid.

Maybe that's because they are made to fit old-fashioned human hands, which haven't changed very much over the past 100,000 years or so?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
  • Haha
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Well, I guess in the post-announcement doldrums we have to have something to post about.

I do admit to being susceptible to nice designs. I think anyone with an appreciation for art probably does. I did like the looks of the Nikon retro DSLR and the original Fuji Pro cameras, not enough to buy either one, but I did like their looks. I think the Canon R cameras are nice looking, although I really hate the looks of the new RF-S lenses. Canon is definitely trying to put a load of lipstick on those pigs and it's not working.

Twenty years from now all of the kids will be complaining about how ugly all of our old-fashioned, unbeveled lenses look. Taste in style has a lot to do with what was around and imprinted in our minds when we are young.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
How a camera looks shouldn't really matter, certainly not compared with ergonomics, AF, IQ etc. However I do think that Nikon shot themselves in the foot with their DSLR designs, which appeared ugly and clunky compared with Canon's. I have no facts to back this up, other than that their very capable and competitively priced cameras suffered against Canon, and later Sony. Also it took them over a decade to realise that most customers don't want a small, plastic pop up flash on an expensive, rugged FF camera. I appreciate that this post may stir up the five people who liked that feature, but it looks like the D500, D850 and D780 were better received without it.

I always thought Nikon's Dn series looked kind of cool in a Darth Vader kind of way. They could have been the official flagship camera of the Sith.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Interesting. Before I go out to take pictures, the questions I ask are:
  • What will I be taking pictures of?
  • Are there any constraints on what I can bring (e.g., venue restrictions, need to shoot in the rain, etc.)?
  • What camera and lens(es) will best enable to capture images of the subjects (within those constraints, if any)?
  • Which of my many bags/cases will best fit that camera + lens(es) and anything else I must put in the bag, leaving at little empty space as possible?
What the camera or bag look like is completely irrelevant.

Just for you, though...apparently, the Leica Q2 'Ghost' is the ultimate hipster camera. It could have been yours or mine for a mere $6,000, but sadly it seems the real hipsters got there first. It means I'll never look like this when I'm out taking pictures. I'll have to live with that, I guess.

View attachment 207523

In all fairness, the design of the camera does help distract from the bad hair transplant.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Yes, the R50 has a multifunction shoe lacking the pins for direct compatibility with ‘legacy’ flashes (i.e., every currently available Canon flash). The EL-5, due to start shipping later this month, will work directly. All other flashes require the AD-E1 adapter.

Of course, the R50 has a pop-up flash and I suspect few owners would even consider mounting an external flash.

I was referring more to camera in the "fake" leaked image than to the actual R50.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Top plate has been redesigned along with welcome internal changes(USB port being 10Gbps from mere 480Mbps). Buffer is massive for camera in its class. Sure missing 8 way controller is a let down but not at all a deal breaker(unlike R50 which has UHS-I SD slot).

The top plate hasn't been redesigned, the main piece is the same, with cutouts being shaped differently. The entire rear of the camera is exactly identical as well.

So THAT'S the new form factor? The cutouts in the top plate?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I care because the RP is not a very great body to begin with (it’s 5 years old now). Canon being lazy means that same design without a wheel or joystick (even the r10 has a joystick and costs less).

Then buy an R10 if you'd rather have a joystick with an APS-C sensor than an FF sensor with no joystick.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Then buy an R10 if you'd rather have a joystick with an APS-C sensor than an FF sensor with no joystick.
Joysticks deliver better IQ.
Honestly:
I really like the joysticks. But somehow :unsure: I can handle my 200D without, too. Fascinating, that it can take pics without it. ;)

Upvote 0