Here are the Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R10

Honestly, the rear dial being around the joystick is certainly an unorthodox solution, but probably ergonomically better than its traditional position. Especially on a smaller body that couldn't fit the 5D7/7D style large dial.

BTW, I'm interested to see what buttons there are on the right shoulder of the R7, next to the mode dial. Lock and Record, maybe?

Also, I'm rather disappointed by the 2.36Mdot EVF on the R7. It's not very much for a 2022 supposed prosumer camera.
Indeed, 2.36M dot EVF (basically 1024x768) is pretty pathetic for a prosumer camera being introduced in 2022. EVF resolution should have been 3.7M dots to make R7 a good option for wildlife photographers, or 5.8M dots to make it a leader in the segment.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
That is devastating. How can canon go back to not having three adjustment dials. It might be a complete deal breaker to me. For the life of me I don’t understand why canon would wouldn’t just put a crop sensor in the r6 body and call it the r7
That's what I was hoping for but this seems like a step back. Even my M6 Mark II has three dials.

The dial around the joystick is a nice idea and keeps it near the AF-on button but it's an overall reduction in utility compared to the R6. And with the low-res EVF it seems this is more like a 90D/M6ii replacement than a true APS-C flagship.

Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
True but what I meant is that they might stop selling RP and R when these are out. R6 and R5 already exist as a fullframe replacement.

That's what I meant, "replace" was a bit bad of a wording.
The RP is not up to scratch and needs to be replaced with a mark II. The R6 is too expensive and too many complaints about it, so they need to do RP2 as a proper medium between the 2, better battery, proper 4k, zero overheating.

Upvote 0
However, the control ring in RF lenses balances the equation a bit.
That’s exactly right. I have an RP and my wife has an M6II. The control ring on the RP is mapped to exposure comp as is the quick menu dial on the M6II.

If you’re using primarily EF glass, then this is lost off course.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I'm genuinely very interested to see how this joystick dial works in the real world. I feel like Canon had to have learned from the touch-bar to not do this kind of thing without feedback from actual users, so I'm fairly confident Canon had to have gotten good feedback on it. To me, with the closer photos, it actually looks pretty nice. Seems like there's plenty of space between the joystick and the wheel to stop inadvertent changes, and looks like a natural position for the thumb to use both while gripping the camera firmly.

Odd to me that there's no third dial, but again, the control ring on the lens can make up for that. A little annoying though when you consider the big white supertelephoto RF lenses don't have a control ring, so with those you'd be limited to the rear aperture wheel and the shutter wheel. But, if you're using the control ring adapter and EF supertelephoto lenses, you still have a third ring.

Additionally, the added "ISO" button probably means Canon expects users to change ISO the old fashioned way, using the button + shutter wheel like on EF cameras.

Overall, it seems like the intent with these cameras is to be compact and cheap over anything else. I'll be interested to see how cheap. The R10 definitely screams "$800 or less" to me, but we'll see.

I think one missed part of this is, the R5, and likely the future "R5s" or whatever it gets called, are probably somewhat compensating for the flagship crop sensor spot of the original 7D. Already tons of wildlife and sports photographers who need 1.6x are using the R5 successfully in the crop sensor mode. The "R5s" when it comes out will almost definitely have a 32 megapixel crop mode, if not higher. If they pull off a high framerate, or allow faster FPS in crop mode, that could functionally be a pro-style 7D equivalent.

That leaves more room for the R7 to be more of a 90D-style camera, with a little more compactness for those traveling and needing to save room. If that helps bring the price down, I think that honestly helps the R7 sell more to consumers in general.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Indeed, 2.36M dot EVF (basically 1024x768) is pretty pathetic for a prosumer camera being introduced in 2022.
I don’t like the EOS R EVF, which has 3.69 million dots. The R3 with 5.76 million dots, 120 fps and OVF simulation is the first EVF I’ve used that comes close to a good OVF.

Canon’s APS-C DSLRs never had very good OVFs, even the 7-series wasn’t great, though it was the best one in an APS-C body. Sounds like the R7 is following that path.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
That’s exactly right. I have an RP and my wife has an M6II. The control ring on the RP is mapped to exposure comp as is the quick menu dial on the M6II.

If you’re using primarily EF glass, then this is lost off course.

If you're using EF glass, the control ring adapter solves that. I love my control ring adapters.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

pauloancarvalho

Skimboard athlete from Portugal.
Jan 3, 2020
I have a Canon EOS R and a R5 C and I'm a video first guy. Should I get a Canon R6 to use the same battery grip and smallrig cage as the R5 C or should I go with the R7? Something tells me the R6 is a better option even for video, but that "recording no limit" and possibly no overheating is interesting. I still think the Canon R6 is a better option to optimise the grip and cage/similar ergonomics.

Upvote 0

Fotofriend

EOS R
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
I was really hoping for nicer aesthetics and design of these bodies. Especially the R10 is quite ugly IMO with this recycled and outdated design of the rebel DSLRs… never liked this unnecessary flat lip or long “roof” of the integrated flash. The M5 and M50 have much more style and show that it’s possible to integrate a flash in an elegant and stylish way that also keeps the whole body slim (less depth). And then that strange over-dimensional thumb wheel of the R7 …
Are there any designers with taste at Canon …

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I don’t like the EOS R EVF, which has 3.69 million dots. The R3 with 5.76 million dots, 120 fps and OVF simulation is the first EVF I’ve used that comes close to a good OVF.

Canon’s APS-C DSLRs never had very good OVFs, even the 7-series wasn’t great, though it was the best one in an APS-C body. Sounds like the R7 is following that path.
This is probably a stupid question but does sensor size have any bearing on the electronic viewfinder resolution. In other words, is a 2.36M dot EVF the same resolution on a full frame camera as on a crop sensor camera? And, while we are on the topic, are there other factors that might make a new 2.36 dot EVF sharper than an older EVF like the R?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I have an M6, which has a 4th dial (inset in the top dial, where the dial function button is on the M6II) dedicated to EC. It’s too bad Canon dropped that with M6II, it’s quite handy.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I always enjoy new releases from Canon and the reaction on CR. I'm anxious to see the hype from Canon and the reviews once the R7 is released. The 90D would have been a great camera if Canon had given it better autofocus. If they give this the autofocus of the R5/R6 this could be a nice option.

My initial reaction is that this is at best a refurbished purchase in 18 months or so. Certainly not a preorder purchase.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
If the R7 images are actually real, Canon decided to clearly make the R7 less “professional” with its ergonomics. They removed a dial that I’ve grown extremely accustomed to being assigned for ISO. I’m also very confident now that we’re just seeing a recycled M6 Mark II/90D sensor as…which means electronic shutter will be hardly usable for action and moving subjects. I doubt that it will have improved readout speeds, but I hope. That sensor is great except for that.

I really hope Canon didn’t just make the R7 a small little dumb camera. Because, from the looks of it, they did. I had hopes for an APS-C R6 at the very least and not an ergonomic redesign. Please let that back shot be from the R10 and not the R7!! Please let these just be fake! Haha

Upvote 0