Here is what Canon is announcing next, including the EOS R7, EOS R10 and RF-S lenses [CR3]

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Thanks for making my point.

Thanks for leaving out the main part of my point:

The 7D Mark II could shoot twice as fast for twice as many raw frames and infinitely* more JPEGs at half the price of the 5Ds R.

[Edit} *For all practical purposes. One can shoot JPEGs at 10 fps with the 7D Mark II until the CDMA-7 CF memory card fills up or the battery dies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Everything in the quote box in my comment to which you replied was in your post.

Bold text in the middle of my comment is not a quote box.
You did. When your comments appear inside a quote box with someone else's name on it. It appears as if they had previously said it.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Thanks for leaving out the main part of my point:

The 7D Mark II could shoot twice as fast for twice as many raw frames and infinitely more JPEGs at half the price of the 5Ds R.
You are partially right. I had two 7D Mark II. They could shoot twice the frames which half would be out of focus. So usable frames were about equal. You didn't have an infinite number of JPEGS, no computer could store that many. The 7D II was a Cheaper camera than the 5Ds R. Notice the word Cheaper rather than Less Expensive or Better Value.
As well when properly framed the 5Ds R had twice as many pixels on target and a great resolution advantage.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
You did. When your comments appear inside a quote box with someone else's name on it. It appears as if they had previously said it.

None of my comments appeared in anyone else's quote box. You might need to update your browser. Or maybe ease off the meds?

Here's a screenshot of my comment in question:

20220619ss1.jpg

Here's a screenshot of the comment to which I was responding:

20220619ss2.jpg

Please point out to me and everyone else here a single word or punctuation mark that was inside the quote box of my comment that was not inside your original comment?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
You are partially right. I had two 7D Mark II. They could shoot twice the frames which half would be out of focus. So usable frames were about equal. You didn't have an infinite number of JPEGS, no computer could store that many. The 7D II was a Cheaper camera than the 5Ds R. Notice the word Cheaper rather than Less Expensive or Better Value.
As well when properly framed the 5Ds R had twice as many pixels on target and a great resolution advantage.

There's no more pixels on target with a FF 50MP sensor than a 20 MP APS-C camera. As we've both already agreed, the 7D Mark II has slightly higher pixel density (4.09µm vs. 4.14µm) than the 5Ds. With the same lens the "reach" is practically identical. The 5Ds just gave you more of the scene surrounding the subject. In "reach limited" situations, that additional 61% is almost always superfluous.

As for AF, if you could only get half your frames with the 7D Mark II in focus you were doing it wrong. In his opening paragraph about a 7D Mark II teardown in which he planned to "debunk" Canon's claims about the 7D Mark II's weather resistance Roger Cicala said two things. He first said, "OK, I have to admit I really like the Canon 7D Mark II. I didn’t want to because it wasn’t what I wanted." But he then went on to admit, "But despite wanting to hate the 22-megapixel APS-C camera, after a fairly short exposure to the autofocus system, I have to admit I like it. There’s just something about getting every shot in focus every time that’s appealing to me."

In the next paragraph of the same blog entry, he also admitted, "So when I read the claim “4 times more weather sealing” my inner cynic just thought 4 times zero equals zero. But I wanted to be fair so I decided I’d open up the 7D II before I wrote a scathing article about making ridiculous weather sealing claims. Which results in me once again writing an article where I have to admit my assumptions were wrong less correct than I would have liked. (Sorry, I forgot for a moment this was the internet where no one ever says “I was wrong.”)"

My experience with the 7D Mark II is similar. I have a 95% plus hit ratio when I do what I'm supposed to do to tell the camera what I want it to focus on. It's also never had any trouble in wet weather, either. If the rain gets too intense I do break out the cheap plastic OP/TECH covers, but am still able to shoot in conditions like this:

2110153009MC729176LR.JPG

and get images like this from 65 yards away behind the far end line:

2010092001LR.JPG

Upvote 0
There's no more pixels on target with a FF 50MP sensor than a 20 MP APS-C camera. As we've both already agreed, the 7D Mark II has slightly higher pixel density (4.09µm vs. 4.14µm) than the 5Ds. With the same lens the "reach" is practically identical. The 5Ds just gave you more of the scene surrounding the subject. In "reach limited" situations, that additional 61% is almost always superfluous.

There are twice as many when the picture is properly framed. Only when you crop the FF sensor to the exact same says would they be equal.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
There are twice as many when the picture is properly framed. Only when you crop the FF sensor to the exact same says would they be equal.

In "reach limited" situations, which was the entire focus of this discussion, the picture is never "properly framed". The subject is always smaller than one would like.

I'm not sure, but I think it might not go over very well if I tried to stand in the middle of the field on the 50 yard line during play at the Friday night football game.

In 2020 we weren't even allowed to move along the sidelines from one end of the field to the other. We had to choose one area behind one of the end lines and stay there the entire game due to pandemic precautions that didn't allow us to pass through the student athletes on either sideline nor through the socially distanced fans in the stands to get to the other end.

Upvote 0