Here are the Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R10

The R7 specs were CR3 and this mockup post has no rating. The specs and body style don't jive imho. Especially that dial to the right of the vf and the D pad. Oh and MF/AF switch being physical and in the front as others have chimed in about. Not buying it. The R10, sure, I get that.
I can't tell you how confident I am about this rumor/leak, so wouldn't make up a guess. This is the forum (and the format in which) Nokishita started posting after the twitter feed was taken down. That said, this means that someone could spoof that deliberately. I agree that the dial on the R7 is super weird, but to me that is an indication of greater likelihood of accuracy, as it's not something a person would include if they were trying to convince others it was real.

The MF/AF switch makes more sense to me as a body switch than a lens switch, as with lens switches, you need to learn a different position for each lens. I actually don't care personally, as I use back-button focus, so it's not really relevant (as do many 7D series users).

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Honestly, the rear dial being around the joystick is certainly an unorthodox solution, but probably ergonomically better than its traditional position. Especially on a smaller body that couldn't fit the 5D7/7D style large dial.

BTW, I'm interested to see what buttons there are on the right shoulder of the R7, next to the mode dial. Lock and Record, maybe?

Also, I'm rather disappointed by the 2.36Mdot EVF on the R7. It's not very much for a 2022 supposed prosumer camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
The R7 specs were CR3 and this mockup post has no rating. The specs and body style don't jive imho. Especially that dial to the right of the vf and the D pad. Oh and MF/AF switch being physical and in the front as others have chimed in about. Not buying it. The R10, sure, I get that.
My understanding is these are not mock-ups. These are leaked images of the actual camera bodies.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Pics look interesting.

Something I don't get:
That AF/MF switch on the front side. I wouldn't want to have it there.
Why there? Why at all?
If it isn't on the RF-S lenses anymore, then make it SW in the camera menu.
If the photo is valid, then I guess Canon disagrees on the need for one and location.

When you want or need to go to MF in a hurry, there's nothing better than a physical button or switch. Somewhere, anywhere.

There are EF-M lenses with no AF/MF switch, but the M6 Mark II for example provides a handy AF/MF instead right on the back of the body to control it.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Pics look interesting.

Something I don't get:
Why there? Why at all?
I find it to be great placement. Easily reachable with a middle finger. On body switch without having to look at a menu or find it on the lens is a great feature of the M6MKII. I think users of these camera will appreciate. Particularly since RF-S lenses don’t appear to have a lens switch. And some RF lenses share a focus/control ring forcing a menu dive on the RP to change from AF to MF and have peaking available.

At first glance, the RF-S lenses don’t appear to have a switch to change from focus to control. I’m wondering if they are repackaged M optics that had to change slightly due to the sensor distance.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
There are EF-M lenses with no AF/MF switch, but the M6 Mark II for example provides a handy AF/MF instead right on the back of the body to control it.
I was using my M6 recently, for the first time in a while, and apparently I had inadvertently set it to MF by pressing the left side of the D-pad.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

pauloancarvalho

Skimboard athlete from Portugal.
Jan 3, 2020
The more impressive thing to me is that the R10 will do 4k50 and 1080p120. Anyway, as a Canon EOS R and R5 C owner, I'm not interested in any of these models, I think the Canon R5 or R6 might be a better choice for me to go along with the R5 C when the the need for a 3rd body comes solely for the fact the smallrig cages and battery grip with be compatible between camera bodies. I was hoping the R7 would be using the same body as the R6/R5 for that reason, too bad it doesn't, looks like a fantastic video camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
The aperture wheel is encircling around the AF joystick on the R7. That's what that is, full stop.

It's a very interesting design choice that I never saw coming, but in the case of a smaller body like this, I could see it actually being successful as it means you can control both aperture and AF point without moving your thumb, which may actually be a pretty solid option for someone photographing fast action and wildlife.

If it turns out to be horrible, well, just disable it and use the secondary top dial. I totally get the design choice on a smaller body, though. Some of those smaller cameras with the aperture wheels so far down the camera make you loosen your entire grip just to reach it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Really love the R5 ergonomics, but it is too expensive.
I hoped for an R7 with those same ergonomics, but now I'll just wait and see what's to come. The new dial looks a bit a strange, but also happy to test new controls. I even get along with the Touch Bar of the EOS R very well, so I'm optimistic the dial will help navigate more quickly.

An MF/ AF switch sounds great because I hate going through the menu to switch it. (e.g. with the RF 16mm). Just don't know if I like the placement of this button.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Pics look interesting.

Something I don't get:
Why there? Why at all?
Anyone doing events or fast paced run and gun jobs know that menu diving causes you to miss moments. I rather have as much buttons on the camera body as conveniently as possible

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0