Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R7, Canon EOS R10 and two new RF-S lenses

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That's exactly what i meant. The actual hardware cost difference between R7 and R5 is nowhere near that big. A full frame sensor alone does not cost $500 more. And as you said, things like software (firmware), Digic X and many things are developed once and shared between the 2 cameras.

Now of course the more expensive a camera is, the smaller volume it will sell, so needs some extra cost added to compensate. But in the UK the R5 costs 3.2 times as much as the R7. £4299 vs £1349.

I bet there is a huge full frame premium tax on the R5.
The £4299 is a UK anomaly for the R5 - it is hugely overpriced here. It's much cheaper in the US and EU, and you can get it on the grey market for close to £3000. Other models, like the R6, don't have that huge price difference.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
No, FSI not BSI. Canon says it's a 'new' 32 MP sensor, but strictly speaking they rarely don't say that. There were many 'new' 18 MP sensors over the years. A small tweak in the CFA spectral tuning, a slight tweak in the underlying architecture, a slight tweak in the AA filter, that's all it takes for 'new'. I wonder if the R7 uses the improved AA filter design (16-point lowpass filter) found on the more recent FF sensors. That would be nice. Knowing Canon, I suspect it doesn't.

FSI means a slower readout speed and the rolling shutter effect that comes with it. This is from the TDP p/review. Every volleyball I've ever used is spherical. With the R7, not so much...

View attachment 203851
The 15FPS with the Mechanical shutter will be helpful for these situations. Can't say I am a fan of the sound of the shutter based on Kai W's preview vid. Sounds a lot like the RP shutter that I hated:cautious:

Upvote 0

Rumours not rumors

R6mkII, 2x90D, 630 (film), Sigma 70-200 f2.8 Sport
CR Pro
May 12, 2020
Australia mate (-:
Canon have missed the perfect chance to hook all the 90D users over to mirrorless but have massively come up short by not having the option for the R7 to use a battery grip. Mirrorless consume more power so need more battery life. Canon says the R7 is aimed at sports users who need lots of battery power because they take truckloads of images. Stupid oversight or idiotic out of touch marketing department but someone really stuffed that one up. It's bad enough the battery grip for the R6 is way overpriced but to exclude the option from the R7 is a monumental stuff-up. They did it a few years ago when they replaced the 750D which did have a battery grip option with the 77D that did not have a grip. Worse is the R7 has a tinier hand grip than the 90D making a grip extender even more critical. Not including a pop-up flash like the 90D has is wrapping a moron with an imbecile. I got quite excited when rumours (note I used the correct spelling of rumours) came out for the R7 but as soon as I found out about no grip option, that bubble popped. Staying with EF for some time longer then. Not impressed Canon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
No vertical Grip NO Sale!!! A vertical battery grip is essential for wildlife photography. Shooting vertical with a long lens and no vertical grip is just asking for shoulder trouble. Plus the vertical grip is much more stable. Very foolish decision on Canon's part if not rectified. Looks like a very nice camera otherwise. Too bad for the fatal flaw.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
"Oh look it's light". Simply, Canon Rebel replacements. Neither will replace the popular slim compact 32mp M6 mk 2 with it's minimal lines. The Sigma lens company will still continue to sell plenty of their 16mm f1.4 for content creators. Compact 32mp APS-C cameras without the EVF hump. Trying to pry content creators away from the compact M-series that rarely have a need for an EVF and use compact gimbals or UAV/drones will not garner much success. If you're a Canon Rebel user these are for you. Maybe. Canon can't afford to make M-series lenses? Too bad for them. There are other manufacturers that do.
R7 and R10 are such breakthroughs that Canon needs to get rid of their obsolete EOS M6 Mark II inventory! Hurry Canon, give it away before everybody learns about the new gear! :D
R10 isn't a breakthrough in the least. For one it's too large for the newest compact gimbals. EVFs (micro OLEDs) which didn't come around until digital cameras are not needed for all photography. Don't need them on UAS/drones or much gimbal work. These two cameras won't get much tracktion other than from yourself and a handfull of Rebel users.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
What if you understood, in context, that I'm making a comparison and not a literal claim?
I think from what we can see so far is that the R7 is a huge upgrade over the 90D and a different kettle of fish altogether. It doesn't appear to have nerfed AF and it has dual cards. It might not have the weather proofing of the 7DII (and we need to see a teardown to judge), but Canon appears to be aiming higher than with the 90D and make a good birder and sporting camera. I think it is not the new 90D.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
From the TDP review: "Is battery grip available for the Canon EOS R7? Unfortunately, no, and the grip positioning holes are not provided." That certainly suggests your bet on the future release of a grip for the R7 would be unwise. One more piece of evidence that the R7 is not the 'pro-grade' 7-series camera for which some were hoping.
Not having an optional vertical battery grip is a major miss for Canon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

bf

Jul 30, 2014
"Oh look it's light". Simply, Canon Rebel replacements. Neither will replace the popular slim compact 32mp M6 mk 2 with it's minimal lines. The Sigma lens company will still continue to sell plenty of their 16mm f1.4 for content creators. Compact 32mp APS-C cameras without the EVF hump. Trying to pry content creators away from the compact M-series that rarely have a need for an EVF and use compact gimbals or UAV/drones will not garner much success. If you're a Canon Rebel user these are for you. Maybe. Canon can't afford to make M-series lenses? Too bad for them. There are other manufacturers that do.

R10 isn't a breakthrough in the least. For one it's too large for the newest compact gimbals. EVFs (micro OLEDs) which didn't come around until digital cameras are not needed for all photography. Don't need them on UAS/drones or much gimbal work. These two cameras won't get much tracktion other than from yourself and a handfull of Rebel users.
Alright, then bring on M6 Mk3 and put MK2 on sale! I've been an M user since the OG M! :D

Upvote 0
I’m not sure why they would have mentioned the lack of grip holes when they could have looked in the battery compartment and looked for the more important electrical contacts. Unless that is they have an NDA preventing the latter.

Canon has always undersold their weather sealing, less liability that way I guess? We didn’t know how beefy it was in the 7Dii until people started taking them apart. I suspect the R7 will turn out to be a workhorse of a little camera.

I am most interested in pairing the R10 with my RP, it will make a small and light secondary camera I can add to my landscape kit when I think there may be wildlife to be had.

With all the wildlife people on here who have been complaining for years that canon ignores you, I haven’t seen anyone talking about what I see as the biggest news from all of this and that’s the R10. There is now an entry level mirrorless camera with a solid sensor, 15fps mechanical shutter and crazy good auto focus. Set aside the build quality for a moment and two cameras in a field with one bird, all else equal, the new R10 is going to put far more keepers on the card than the old venerable 7Dii. Paired with the 100-400, granted f8 at the long end, but that is a very serviceable wildlife combo, new off the shelf, for 1600. That should open up the hobby to a mass of new people.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
My thoughts are that if they made it bad more of a high end camera...tougher, better screen, CF Express cards etc, and a few other things, the cost would approach that of an R6 and likely people may be more inclined to spend that money on a full frame sensor. It looks like a great bird camera if paired to the 100-500...equivalent to a 160-800.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
That gray haired youtube guy predicted that the R10 would be priced at $600. You can always count on him to have predictions that are wrong. A clue was that the Nikon Z50 is priced at $860 (body only). I never thought the R10 would sell for less than that.
Do you mean the guy who loves to rip off his glass as the video starts, Walter Cronkite style? At least he (And a few others that copied him) got away from staring at the camera and moving his eyes to the sides.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0